Turn on thread page Beta

No idea what I'm doing, but who does? :D watch

ReputationRep:

Introduction

Welcome to Martins1's Mischief, my blog about what I get up to on my journey through A2 levels.

Ah yes, A2 levels, good fun! Yes, I'm late (we're halfway there already! :ahhhhh:), but I thought it would be fun. For me, if not for you! I hope you find something interesting on this page.

Oh yeah, this is a grow your grades thingy, so I should tell you something about that:

Academic Stuff

Spoiler:
    Show

A2 Levels
    I'm currently in Year 13 (also known as U6 or Hell Year), studying:
    Latin - Predicted A*
    Philosophy - Predicted A*
    English Literature - Predicted A*

AS levels
    Philosophy (aka the only one that counts towards my A2) - A (100%)
    Latin (yes my school made me sit all 4 AS even though only 1 counted) - A (96%)
    English Literature - 96%
    French (I dropped after AS, school regs) - A (79%)

GCSE Grades
    English Literature: A*
    English Language: A*
    Maths: A*
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A*
    French: A*
    Religious Studies: A*
    Design and Technology, Resistant Materials: A*
    Latin: A*
    Classical Greek: A*

If you want to ask me anything about my academic stuff, please go ahead!

And since I'm in the final year of my school (oh goodness...) I'm also partaking in UCAS/uni applications/that devilish thing which breaks students far and wide. I guess if you want, have a read about all that below.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Uni Stuff
    UCAS sent to 5 unis on 27th September 2017 (27/09/17).

Durham University - Liberal Arts (BA) - Pending
    Kings' College London - Philosophy (BA) - Offer AAA, 09/10/17
    University of Edinburgh - Philosophy and Linguistics (BA/Scottish MA) - Pending
    University of Oxford - Philosophy and Linguistics (BA) - Offer A*AA, 10/01/18
    University of St Andrews - Philosophy (BA/Scottish MA) - Offer AAB, 09/02/18

I am aiming for those A levels now! High aim is 100%, achievable aim is A*A*A*, and worst case scenario aim is A*AA (uni offer).

Career goals remain undecided, but currently the options are: teacher, lecturer/academia, barrister, management consultancy. Hoping either to do law conversion or masters after degree!

A little bit about me

I'm Martins1, I'm starting Year 13 and I have a lot of hobbies, mostly in school:
    I play the trombone, in the school Symphony Orchestra, Big Band and Concert Band
    I do MUN, including being co-in charge of organising my school's MUN conference
    I do CCF, Navy, and am Head of the Navy Section (Warrant Officer 1st Class)
    I run our school's PhilSoc and Classics Society
    Out of school, I ice skate

I'm a real perfectionist, I hate being bad at stuff, I generally work hard, but I do a lot of procrastination. I love my sleep!
    I love school, I love reading, I love ideas and philosophy, I love meeting new people... Hopefully more about me in time to come!

Dates to Remember
    Spoiler:
    Show

A levels!
    4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 12th and 15th June!

Driving Theory
    13/02/18

A level Results Day
    16/08/18

Well, I guess that's it. If I'm organised, the post below will have a contents page for all my posts. once I've made some... Oh, and please do comment, ask questions, give suggestions or just tell me what you think! I'd love to hear from you. I hope you enjoy

~Martins1

EDIT: I'm going to do this as most people do. All the details and stuff. Plus, a real blog title! OP in the spoiler.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am so late to the party but... why not?
    Looks like fun.
    So I guess this is a blog about my journey through life as an A2 level student (I mean I'm halfway there already but the hardest part hasn't started yet)... I have no idea whether my "posting schedule" will even exist and what it will be like if it does. Either way, this is/was a fun post to make!

Not really sure how to do this so I'm going to do it in my own way I guess. Please post anything below telling me how I'm actually meant to do this or just how you think I can improve the blog

Ok so I suppose a bit of background is necessary... I'm in Year 13/U6/whatever-it-is-you-want-to-call-this-year. I'm taking 3 A levels (Philosophy, Latin, English Literature). That should suffice for now I suppose! I'm sure you can find out a lot more about me both as a person and academically by looking at my other posts elsewhere.

Let's see where it goes from here!

ReputationRep:
    I'll save this spot for myself in case someone actually reads this in which case some organisation may help. I find organisation helps in life, but I've never really acted on it, so I suppose this level of organisation is a big step in the right direction for me!

ReputationRep:
    It has occurred to me that actually posting some content might help. And I'm free so... perfect time to actually write something!

10/02/18
    No Idea What I'm Doing

Exciting times. I started a blog (this is a big step for me) and I then reserved the next post for myself in anticipation of organising the thread (organisation 101 master). For anyone reading this, I just want to say as a disclaimer that a lot of this blog will be silly and just designed for two key purposes: an outlet for myself and to make other people smile/laugh or something. Hopefully. I hope it's mildly entertaining at the very least.
    Disclaimer 2.0: I'm gonna try keep the blog reasonably impersonal in that I won't be sharing too many personal details. However, every so often I'll scatter some in, including at points in this post. Sorry if my random changes between impersonal to TMI annoys anyone...

Academic checkup: Ok, so half-term literally started today so I have been extremely lazy. I have a driving theory test on Tuesday so I should revise for that. That said, I am quite proud of myself as I have done 2 hours of revision/work on it already this morning. I failed the hazard perception mock I did though (39/75) (I blame the computer, but the computer blames me so...), however I got 49/50 on my first theory mock thingy so I guess that's good.
    That doesn't really count as school work though so I suppose I should mention some of that. I have a little bit to do over half-term... and I really should make a homework list, so I'll post it here!

Homework List 1
    -Read and annotate Philosophy Property Dualism Pack (60 pages)
    -Plan and revise for Philosophy tests 15 and 16
    -Write English Literature Comparison essay
    -Complete final drafts of English Literature coursework
    -Read all of Ethical Language and the primary literature for Philosophy (Ethics)
    -Do a Latin prose composition from a past paper
    -Do the final 2 Aeneid worksheets
    -Do Latin Verse Translation

[perhaps I'll update saying when I've done each piece of work! - that'd be cool ]

Quite a light load, actually, which is cool! Since exams are looming and I should really do some work, I might as well use this opportunity to set myself some extra tasks I should (but probably won't) do over half-term.

The Classic "To-Do" (but probably won't get done) list
    -Annotate and make notes on Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 (or at least 1 of)
    -Read We
    -Make notes on either Paradise Lost or Duchess of Malfi
    -Read through Ethics module and make notes on that side of the course
    -Finish reading The Road (even though I don't like it :/ )
    -Revise all my Latin accidence and syntax
    -Revise all my Latin vocab English-->Latin
    -Make notes on my Latin Literature from last year (Cicero and Love Elegies)
    -Update notes on Tacitus Latin literature

I doubt I'll do much of the above, but perhaps if I complete 2 or 3 of those items, I'll be happy! Other than the driving stuff, I also have a couple of other clubs/societies to organise and some summer plans to finalise.

Featured Section: I think it would be fun to do a featured section each week. This week perhaps I'll do "positive thinking". Let's go!
    What went well this week: I suppose yesterday was a pretty good day as a whole. I had a double free (I got nothing productive done but it was a double free, I can't complain), then I had a really good English double (the on-topic and off-topic conversation was good and interesting), and then I spent my first free lunchtime in... too long(?) just chatting with a couple of newly-made friends which was actually really fun. Double Japanese was also great as we recapped all our grammar and watched some anime (I enjoyed it as it was my first time watching some). Then I ran a fun Obstacle Course in CCF. To top it off, I got a uni offer - yay
    What I'm currently happy about with regards to myself: My health. It's good.
    Positive thought: A-Levels haven't been that bad so far. I'm actually quite enjoying them.
    I'm feeling grateful for... The fact that my computer told me that "greatful" is not the right spelling :/ In all seriousness though, feeling very grateful of my friends right now
    My random act of kindness: Um... why is this so difficult to think of? I suppose yesterday I did one in the obstacle course. I was leading the group activity for some younger kids and was able to get them all to take part and even though one group struggled, I got them through it by running around myself and doing it all myself - and we all completed it, even if some of them thought they'd never complete it!
    Random act of kindness towards me: someone gave me a kind compliment. Thank you, person, even though it wasn't true

Wow, I completed a post. It felt long. It probably was not long. But it was fun - definitely can see myself doing that more often! I guess if you've read this far, you may as well post a comment, right?

Have a good week everyone!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :hello:
    It sounds like you have a really busy week ahead! Good luck for your theory test Are you doing Japanese on the side or as another A-level?
    Congrats for your uni offer!!
    I'm sure the compliment was very true
    I hope you have a great week :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawatt)
    :hello:
    It sounds like you have a really busy week ahead! Good luck for your theory test Are you doing Japanese on the side or as another A-level?
    Congrats for your uni offer!!
    I'm sure the compliment was very true
    I hope you have a great week :gah:
    Haha thank you very much! No longer posting to myself
    Well this should be a bit relaxed compared to school, but generally I like to keep myself busy.
    And thank you, the theory test should be fine as long as my hazard perception goes ok.
    Japanese is on the side. Last year I did my Level 1 WJEC qualification in it, but this year we all wanted to focus on A levels instead so we're mostly having a bit of fun while learning basic grammar. Maybe one day I'll do a feature on that? Might be fun!
    And thank you, still buzzing from the offer, and I'll take the compliment even though it was very subjective
    I hope I have a great week too, and also that you have one!

ReputationRep:

~11/02/18~

Naming the Blog?!

I need to change the name of the blog - should it be about uni, A levels or just balancing life? Please do help. I really need to decide what I want to focus on...

Well, yesterday did not go to plan. I didn't do anymore work for my theory test (oh dear) after I posted and I didn't do much school work either. To be fair, I did read a bit of "We" (more on that later...), but I definitely need to do better today to make up for it! In more exciting news, however: I have a uni offer holder day on Saturday for which I'm really excited - I'm on the offer holder chat and everyone seems really friendly which is good. Hopefully I'll tell you more when that happens (?). However, I'm trying to get both my parents and 1 grandparent in with me, even though on the online form it only allowed 2 (and I only entered 2- the grandparent was arranged by my parents without my knowing). I wonder if they'll let me bring all 3? (One person who's coming said on the group chat that I could pretend one of them was her parent if they don't allow all 3 :dance:) That really would be one way to make an entrance to uni - by getting caught sneaking extra adults in... I wonder if that's ever happened to anyone? :hahaha:

Academic checkup: I read 20 pages of "We", so I'm now a 1/3 of the way through. I'm going to aim to finish it today! I also want to do 2 or 3 driving theory mocks (and get good scores in them - that might help!). Homework list looks as incomplete as ever, as does my extra tasks list, but "We" should be crossed off by the end of today!

I really need to focus on this driving theory stuff so that I can pass (and save money - and get on the road quicker!). Plus I've got 3 summer plans to finish... It's going to be a busy day. Or, it should be.

This morning I did achieve something though - I tutored! My tutee arrived really late because they slept in, but oh well! I still successfully taught about fractions, which was fun, and I think Taylor (that's not my tutee's actual name, but...) understood fractions/decimals/percentages although I've yet to work on doing multiplication and division with her... But Taylor did do well in her mid-year assessments (mostly, Geography didn't go so well), so that's good!

Today's To-Do List
    -Tutoring [DONE!]
    -Read the rest of "We"
    -Complete 3 driving theory test papers
    -Sort out at least 1 of summer plans
    -Think of blog theme and name??

Featured Section:
    Yesterday I did something serious, so today I'll do something a bit more fun (for me... and hopefully for you too!) and introduce myself. To stop myself from censoring it, I just typed "10 questions" into Google and took the questions from the first site available.
    Spoiler:
    Show

1. What's something that no-one would guess about you?Hmm. I prefer talking/listening to reading/writing. Although (apparently) a lot of people think I'm a bookworm, I don't enjoy reading as much as listening to people - much prefer the social contact.
    2. What do you believe in?The power of ideas and words. Nothing exciting like divine beings, supernatural beings or Santa Claus, though.
    3. If you could be doing anything in any place right now, where would you be and what would you be doing?Not really sure. The "anything" would have to be something fun with friends, perhaps a small party? The "anywhere" would probably be nice and warm. I guess having lunch in a really good restaurant with friends?
    4. What do you wish you had done differently in life?I wish I had taken up a different sport that suits me better and put a lot more effort into it so that I was at a much higher level.
    5. What are you doing to improve yourself?I'm writing a GYG blog. To grow my grades and my organisation.
    6. What's one thing you had to overcome in your life?Hmmm, there have been many (like literally everyone else). I had to figure out how to break up a continuous numbered list for this Q&A (where I asked myself the questions which is SO cool). I had a pretty tough year last year - maybe I'll include that another time, health and personal loss.
    7. What's the most important thing to you?Why is this such a tough question? My freedom and the relationships I have with my friends, probably.
    8. What did you learn about yourself from previous relationships?Steady on, tiger!
    9. How do you handle being in a bad mood?Badly. Angsty music, talking to people I can lean on, be it family or friends.
    10. What do you wish someone would ask you?Genuinely, this question itself is pretty great. Partly because it's all about me and partly because it's unexpected. I wish someone would ask me a theoretical philosophy question I'd never thought of before and talk with me about it. I like philosophy (particularly theoretical philosophy) hehe.

I think I did a pretty decent job of answering deep and personal questions in a shallow and impersonal manner Quite the talent, I hear... (Whoops, positive thoughts was yesterday...)

[/font]

TheoreticalToils Tales

Time to tell you about my theoretical toil tale of the day (I'm hoping this'll become a blogly (meaning "every blog" in the same way "weekly" means "every week" (yes i did just invent a word...)) thing). Today I thought I'd introduce my A levels!
    Spoiler:
    Show

I do English Literature (OCR A Level), Philosophy (AQA A level) and Latin (OCR A level) and am currently studying to A2. I dropped French after AS last year (our school made us do 4 AS levels and 3 A2 levels... so dropping a subject which has no official qualification is normal. And yes, our school did make us sit all 4 AS exams, even though only Philosophy counted towards my A2 level. Confusing? Yes. Sensical? No. Grr.....)

Despite the fact that we studied some 4 texts last year in Eng Lit (The Great Gatsby, The Merchant's Tale, Hamlet and Jerusalem), we're replacing those with some others for A level. Yes, my genius school made/is making us study 4 extra texts for fun... GRRR because it means a lot more work, but it's also awesome because my A Level Eng Lit experience has been massively enriched. It's sort of confusing because English Lit A2 doesn't have a defined text list as such...? We're studying Paradise Lost (IX and X), The Duchess of Malfi, Measure for Measure, 1984... and then it gets confusing. For coursework, we had to choose 3 of our own texts to write about (more on that another time, if you want?), for which I chose the poetry collection "Tramp in Flames", the play Arcadia and the novel Time's Arrow. Yeah, that wasn't really that confusing... because here's the confusing bit. For the 1984 part of the exam, it's less about 1984 and more about the genre dystopia in general. So, we have 2 questions: 1 is a comparison with any other dystopic text that we want (although there's a list of suggested texts) (in class we're studying The Road which is so boring, so I've chosen to do Fahrenheit 451 instead) and the other question is actually an unseen passage from any dystopic text not listed (so not 1984, Brave New World, the Handmaid's Tale etc.). Essentially we need to mention loads of other dystopias in this question because this side of the course is about understanding the genre of dystopia, which is why I'm reading We and loads of other dystopias (currently read: 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, The Road AND some of: We, The Clockwork Orange, The Road)...
    To simplify, I'm studying 1984 plus about 3 other dystopic texts, 3 texts for coursework (Tramp in Flames, Arcadia, Time's Arrow), Measure for Measure, The Duchess of Malfi and Paradise Lost (IX and X). Now you see why I said it was confusing!
    P.s. there are 5 essays between 2 exams; + 2 pieces of coursework (in terms of assessment).

My Philosophy A2 is sooo much simpler to explain: I did the AS last year which counted for 50% of my final grade. That had 2 modules: Epistemology (about perception and knowledge) and Philosophy of Religion (what is God, could such a God exist, does a God exist and is religious language meaningful?). This year I'm studying 2 modules: Philosophy of Mind (does the mind exist - and if so, how?) and Ethics (how should we live our lives, what is good and bad? etc.). The assessment is one 3 hour exam each year.

Latin comprises of the AS and A2. The AS didn't count towards my A2 (sadly) so I need to learn all of that again for my A level. I studied two pieces of literature: Cicero's Pro Milone and a mixture of Love Elegies (Ovid, Tibullus, Propertius). This year my literature is (some of) Book X of the Aeneid and (some of) Tacitus' Annals I. The other side of Latin is the language, which requires unseen translations (both prose (normal) and verse (poetry)) as well as either a comprehension/composition (a comprehension asks what happens in a passage and grammatical questions; a composition is rendering a passage of idiomatic English into a passage of idiomatic Latin...). I have 4 exams - verse literature, prose literature, unseen translations and comprehension/composition.

Phew... that was quite a lot. I guess that explains what I'm going to be getting up to this year! Maybe I'll write more theoretical toils tales about parts of this in more detail?

[/font]

My Multi-Media Pick of the Week

Taken from the fantastic "Classically Classical Classics Memes" on Facebook (which I follow and love)

I'd really love to hear any and all questions you have, and also suggestions for my blog, in particular the theme and idea?!

Have a good day everyone!

ReputationRep:

~13/02/18~

The Tale of my Theory

Still need to think of a name for the blog, but I'm sure that'll come to me. Hopefully. Maybe...?

Oh wow, do I have a lot to say!

I passed my theory test Whoop! :yes::yes:
    It was an interesting experience, to say the least! Let me start from the beginning [skip to the next para if you want to hear the theory NIGHTMARE]. Well, not quite... the beginning since when I last posted. I hadn't done much work at that point, and I just sat and watched some Winter Olympics while doing 3 mock tests (which I passed, just... (44/50 - pass mark is 43)). I love the Winter Olympics! Since I figure skate, that's naturally my favourite (I watched the team pairs - they were fantastic!). But I also really loved the skiathlon, although the snowboarding stuff I was less into, as well as the biathlon (I find the combination of shooting and skiing to be jarring - shooting just shouldn't be there!). Nonetheless, I did complete a bit of theory, but definitely not enough. Then yesterday, I had a great day - both with regards to productivity, and just generally! I walked into my sister into town (some fresh air), and not only got a haircut (which I was happy with - and had procrastinated for 3 weeks - I felt so much better afterwards, as if a weight had been lifted from my head ), but also got a driving theory book out the library (where my sister was going). After the exercise and fresh air, I felt loads better and spent about 2 hours looking through 150 pages of the book. Then I had lunch, continued until page 250 and took a... longer than planned (TSR is SO distracting, even when it's a bit slow) break. After that, I did manage to bash through until page 330, which meant I was on track. I finished and got an early night... and then.... Well then the fun begins.

Story Time!

The nightmare that was my theory test. I cannot begin to explain to you how many things went wrong. Firstly, my night was horrific. I have a medical condition (diabetes type 1) and I went super high on sugar overnight, giving me the most horrific night of sleep that could be asked for. I got up at 8am and continued to read the DVSA book and practice questions to make sure my knowledge was up to scratch, but felt drowy... Then I forced myself to get 45 mins more sleep (I never fell asleep, sadly), before having breakfast and finishing the book. With the theory part of my test secure, I was a little worried about my hazard perception. The only practice I could find was the app, but I'd lost my phone so I had to stea-:steal: borrow my mum's phone, and download it on that. It only took 1 WHOLE HOUR (??) to download, but I managed to do a decent bit of practice before calming down and giving myself a break. It seemed that everything was more under control. I was on time, my Mum and I got in the car with all the relevant revision materials and medical kits and got on the way. On the way there, I (failed) a Hazard Perception Mock on my Mum's phone. We were there with PLENTY of time... and just as i got out...
    Mum: Do you have your provisional licence...?
    Oh. S***! I forgot my provisional driving license which was a nightmare. I asked my mum to rush home and get it; but it was 11:15, my test was at 11:45 and I was meant to be sign in at 11:30. And it took 20 mins to drive home, and 20 mins back. Nightmare! This time, it was my fault. My mum didn't even know where my license was, so she needed to phone my dad (who had it) - so she took her phone. Now I had no way of practising for the test, no money, no means of communication and no travel. Fantastic.
    I walked into the test centre:
    Man: When's your test?
    Me: 11:45
    Man: Could I see your license please? [he probably wasn't that polite but...]
    Me: Oh, um, my mum's just coming with it.... [awkward silence] I actually came to ask - I'm having a medical issue *explains* - can I delay the test please?
    Man: No, unfortunately we cannot delay any tests under any circumstances. [fantastic]
    Me: Right. Oh well. [awkward silence]. Can I phone my mum to let her know?
    [you think that's bad? This is just the beginning.]
    I genuinely had had a medical emergency and had had a hypoglycaemic attack. To fill in those who don't know, mild attacks (like mine - as opposed to serious ones which mean blacking out or death) have the symptoms of confusion, trouble talking, lack of concentration and clumsiness. Just what I needed.
    I couldn't remember my mum's number. After a minute of the guy holding the phone and trying to type in the number I (failed) to tell him, I gave him my dad's number (which I subsequently realised was wrong. Sorry, whoever heard me leave a message this morning.) It was at this point that my plan to use medical reasons to delay my test turned into a realisation: I couldn't even remember my mum's number, never mind do the test. Medical reasons were REAL.

Then the man offered to delay my test til 4 which is apparently super rare and very kind. However, I had to make a decision at that very moment, having not contacted my mum (who was getting my license... and was my only travel option). Now, it might be important to consider the repercussions of the decision. If I chose to come back at 4 - I'd have to come alone, which included an 1 hour on the train plus a 30 min walk (my mum was busy), and I'd ruin the rest of my day. If I chose not to come back at 4, then if my mum didn't find my license/didn't get back in time, I wouldn't be allowed to sit the test, I'd have to rearrange to at least 4 weeks later, which meant I couldn't do my practical until 4 weeks later, which meant I had to pay for MORE driving lessons. Oh, and I was in no state to sit the exam - especially the hazard perception. Great options. I chose 4pm that day, thinking that 4 weeks was way too long - and expensive. (You may have gathered that I didn't end up taking the 4pm test... read on... it gets worse!)
    *I sit down in the waiting area*
    Man: Sorry mate, you can't wait here. You'll have to come back later.
    Me: Oh... ok. No problem. [awkward silence] Can I phone my mum to let her know - I've remembered my mum's number now. [I hadn't, I got a digit wrong...]
    I phoned my mum, left voicemail (again I phoned the wrong number - how on earth I managed to ring two numbers which existed but which weren't my parents... who knows?) and left. In the cold and rain. Alone. After 30 minutes of directing candidates (who actually brought was was required) towards the test centre, I quickly ran to the station across the road to figure out how I'd get there at 4. I ran back, spoke to some guy who just failed his test (awkward) outside the test centre, and managed to acquire his phone (temporarily...) and remember my mum's number AND phone her. I told her everything. She was as confused as I was (and you probably are). BUT, she was nearby, with my license! Woohoo! I decided to get the license and run in to the building (it was 11:40 - 10 minutes late for check-in, 5 mins before the start) when my mum arrived. Which she thought was futile. So I told her to hang around for 5 when I came down again.
    I walked back up and spoke to the same man (who must be unbelievably annoyed)
    Me: Hi... would it help you at all if I took the test now?
    Man: *confused* um.. n- actually yes. yes it would. You sure?
    Me: Yeah
    He then mumbled something about ID and locking stuff in a locker *gives me the key* and I'm off-. "Can I phone my mum please - the number I gave earlier was wrong, I need to re-enter it." How embarrassing? But still - What. A. Result! My mum knew what was going on AND I got to do the test. I put my stuff in the locker, and went to the next waiting desk.
    Lady: *says nothing, looks at me expectantly*
    Me: Um, hi. [awkward silence] I'm here for the test.
    Lady: ID?
    Whoops, I left my ID in the locker (so did the guy in front - they really didn't make it clear). I went back, got my license and passport, brought it back and got in line.
    *I hand it over*
    Lady: You don't need your passport.
    So, I went back to my locker (for the second time haha) in front of everyone. Finally, I entered the test centre.
    To be honest, the rest of the test went well. The theory stuff was reasonably tricky, but I answered most of them and went back over the couple ones I'd flagged. I completed it in just 10 minutes, which considering it was a 57 minute test was a bit annoying. I checked for 20 minutes and then moved on. The hazard perception started off average. You need an average of 3/5 on each hazard (there are 15) to pass (pass mark 44/75). I thought I was getting 3's on the first few, before hitting my stride. For most of it I was doing solid, 4s and 5s only. However, of the 14 clips, one contains 2 hazards and mine hadn't occurred? Was I going wrong? By the 13th clip, I was tired, scared I'd missed the double hazard and bored. Didn't do great on that one. Of course, the 14th and final clip had to have the double hazard... great. Messed that up.
    Overall, I was quite confident I'd done ok, and after answering loads of test questions and a feedback form, I went to get my results.
    49/50 on the theory (WHOOO)
    and 59/75 (haha - I did horrifically on the double hazard, but otherwise I did pretty well).
    Phew.

Academic checkup: Updated Sunday's to-do list.

Today's To-Do List
    -Tutoring [DONE!]
    -Read the rest of "We" [not done. It was boring, I only read 20 more pages]
    -Complete 3 driving theory test papers [DONE]
    -Sort out at least 1 of summer plans [DID 2]
    -Think of blog theme and name?? [oh dear...]

Today I'm gonna do one homework task, and then take a break after the intense revision of yesterday...

I hope you enjoyed the story - I certainly thought it was pretty funny. I'll check in tomorrow, hopefully! In the meantime, enjoy Valentine's Day and Pancake Day!

I'd really love to hear any and all questions you have, and also suggestions for my blog, in particular the theme and idea?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martins1)

~13/02/18~

The Tale of my Theory

Still need to think of a name for the blog, but I'm sure that'll come to me. Hopefully. Maybe...?

Oh wow, do I have a lot to say!

I passed my theory test Whoop! :yes::yes:
    It was an interesting experience, to say the least! Let me start from the beginning [skip to the next para if you want to hear the theory NIGHTMARE]. Well, not quite... the beginning since when I last posted. I hadn't done much work at that point, and I just sat and watched some Winter Olympics while doing 3 mock tests (which I passed, just... (44/50 - pass mark is 43)). I love the Winter Olympics! Since I figure skate, that's naturally my favourite (I watched the team pairs - they were fantastic!). But I also really loved the skiathlon, although the snowboarding stuff I was less into, as well as the biathlon (I find the combination of shooting and skiing to be jarring - shooting just shouldn't be there!). Nonetheless, I did complete a bit of theory, but definitely not enough. Then yesterday, I had a great day - both with regards to productivity, and just generally! I walked into my sister into town (some fresh air), and not only got a haircut (which I was happy with - and had procrastinated for 3 weeks - I felt so much better afterwards, as if a weight had been lifted from my head ), but also got a driving theory book out the library (where my sister was going). After the exercise and fresh air, I felt loads better and spent about 2 hours looking through 150 pages of the book. Then I had lunch, continued until page 250 and took a... longer than planned (TSR is SO distracting, even when it's a bit slow) break. After that, I did manage to bash through until page 330, which meant I was on track. I finished and got an early night... and then.... Well then the fun begins.

Story Time!

The nightmare that was my theory test. I cannot begin to explain to you how many things went wrong. Firstly, my night was horrific. I have a medical condition (diabetes type 1) and I went super high on sugar overnight, giving me the most horrific night of sleep that could be asked for. I got up at 8am and continued to read the DVSA book and practice questions to make sure my knowledge was up to scratch, but felt drowy... Then I forced myself to get 45 mins more sleep (I never fell asleep, sadly), before having breakfast and finishing the book. With the theory part of my test secure, I was a little worried about my hazard perception. The only practice I could find was the app, but I'd lost my phone so I had to stea-:steal: borrow my mum's phone, and download it on that. It only took 1 WHOLE HOUR (??) to download, but I managed to do a decent bit of practice before calming down and giving myself a break. It seemed that everything was more under control. I was on time, my Mum and I got in the car with all the relevant revision materials and medical kits and got on the way. On the way there, I (failed) a Hazard Perception Mock on my Mum's phone. We were there with PLENTY of time... and just as i got out...
    Mum: Do you have your provisional licence...?
    Oh. S***! I forgot my provisional driving license which was a nightmare. I asked my mum to rush home and get it; but it was 11:15, my test was at 11:45 and I was meant to be sign in at 11:30. And it took 20 mins to drive home, and 20 mins back. Nightmare! This time, it was my fault. My mum didn't even know where my license was, so she needed to phone my dad (who had it) - so she took her phone. Now I had no way of practising for the test, no money, no means of communication and no travel. Fantastic.
    I walked into the test centre:
    Man: When's your test?
    Me: 11:45
    Man: Could I see your license please? [he probably wasn't that polite but...]
    Me: Oh, um, my mum's just coming with it.... [awkward silence] I actually came to ask - I'm having a medical issue *explains* - can I delay the test please?
    Man: No, unfortunately we cannot delay any tests under any circumstances. [fantastic]
    Me: Right. Oh well. [awkward silence]. Can I phone my mum to let her know?
    [you think that's bad? This is just the beginning.]
    I genuinely had had a medical emergency and had had a hypoglycaemic attack. To fill in those who don't know, mild attacks (like mine - as opposed to serious ones which mean blacking out or death) have the symptoms of confusion, trouble talking, lack of concentration and clumsiness. Just what I needed.
    I couldn't remember my mum's number. After a minute of the guy holding the phone and trying to type in the number I (failed) to tell him, I gave him my dad's number (which I subsequently realised was wrong. Sorry, whoever heard me leave a message this morning.) It was at this point that my plan to use medical reasons to delay my test turned into a realisation: I couldn't even remember my mum's number, never mind do the test. Medical reasons were REAL.

Then the man offered to delay my test til 4 which is apparently super rare and very kind. However, I had to make a decision at that very moment, having not contacted my mum (who was getting my license... and was my only travel option). Now, it might be important to consider the repercussions of the decision. If I chose to come back at 4 - I'd have to come alone, which included an 1 hour on the train plus a 30 min walk (my mum was busy), and I'd ruin the rest of my day. If I chose not to come back at 4, then if my mum didn't find my license/didn't get back in time, I wouldn't be allowed to sit the test, I'd have to rearrange to at least 4 weeks later, which meant I couldn't do my practical until 4 weeks later, which meant I had to pay for MORE driving lessons. Oh, and I was in no state to sit the exam - especially the hazard perception. Great options. I chose 4pm that day, thinking that 4 weeks was way too long - and expensive. (You may have gathered that I didn't end up taking the 4pm test... read on... it gets worse!)
    *I sit down in the waiting area*
    Man: Sorry mate, you can't wait here. You'll have to come back later.
    Me: Oh... ok. No problem. [awkward silence] Can I phone my mum to let her know - I've remembered my mum's number now. [I hadn't, I got a digit wrong...]
    I phoned my mum, left voicemail (again I phoned the wrong number - how on earth I managed to ring two numbers which existed but which weren't my parents... who knows?) and left. In the cold and rain. Alone. After 30 minutes of directing candidates (who actually brought was was required) towards the test centre, I quickly ran to the station across the road to figure out how I'd get there at 4. I ran back, spoke to some guy who just failed his test (awkward) outside the test centre, and managed to acquire his phone (temporarily...) and remember my mum's number AND phone her. I told her everything. She was as confused as I was (and you probably are). BUT, she was nearby, with my license! Woohoo! I decided to get the license and run in to the building (it was 11:40 - 10 minutes late for check-in, 5 mins before the start) when my mum arrived. Which she thought was futile. So I told her to hang around for 5 when I came down again.
    I walked back up and spoke to the same man (who must be unbelievably annoyed)
    Me: Hi... would it help you at all if I took the test now?
    Man: *confused* um.. n- actually yes. yes it would. You sure?
    Me: Yeah
    He then mumbled something about ID and locking stuff in a locker *gives me the key* and I'm off-. "Can I phone my mum please - the number I gave earlier was wrong, I need to re-enter it." How embarrassing? But still - What. A. Result! My mum knew what was going on AND I got to do the test. I put my stuff in the locker, and went to the next waiting desk.
    Lady: *says nothing, looks at me expectantly*
    Me: Um, hi. [awkward silence] I'm here for the test.
    Whoops, I left my ID in the locker (so did the guy in front - they really didn't make it clear). I went back, got my license and passport, brought it back and got in line.
    *I hand it over*
    Lady: You don't need your passport.
    So, I went back to my locker (for the second time haha) in front of everyone. Finally, I entered the test centre.
    To be honest, the rest of the test went well. The theory stuff was reasonably tricky, but I answered most of them and went back over the couple ones I'd flagged. I completed it in just 10 minutes, which considering it was a 57 minute test was a bit annoying. I checked for 20 minutes and then moved on. The hazard perception started off average. You need an average of 3/5 on each hazard (there are 15) to pass (pass mark 44/75). I thought I was getting 3's on the first few, before hitting my stride. For most of it I was doing solid, 4s and 5s only. However, of the 14 clips, one contains 2 hazards and mine hadn't occurred? Was I going wrong? By the 13th clip, I was tired, scared I'd missed the double hazard and bored. Didn't do great on that one. Of course, the 14th and final clip had to have the double hazard... great. Messed that up.
    Overall, I was quite confident I'd done ok, and after answering loads of test questions and a feedback form, I went to get my results.
    49/50 on the theory (WHOOO)
    and 59/75 (haha - I did horrifically on the double hazard, but otherwise I did pretty well).
    Phew.

Academic checkup: Updated Sunday's to-do list.

Today's To-Do List
    -Tutoring [DONE!]
    -Read the rest of "We" [not done. It was boring, I only read 20 more pages]
    -Complete 3 driving theory test papers [DONE]
    -Sort out at least 1 of summer plans [DID 2]
    -Think of blog theme and name?? [oh dear...]

Today I'm gonna do one homework task, and then take a break after the intense revision of yesterday...

I hope you enjoyed the story - I certainly thought it was pretty funny. I'll check in tomorrow, hopefully! In the meantime, enjoy Valentine's Day and Pancake Day!

Wow, your theory test story was one hell of a ride, glad it worked out in the end
    And yeah, thinking of a cool blog name is really hard

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.