Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 (studying in a prep school in England) and thinking about which universities to apply to. Now I do have really good grades and work habits so a lot of people are recommending I look into unis like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and so on.
    My question is-are they worth it?
    Keep in mind that I'm an international student outside of EU meaning that not only are the costs higher but also that I can't take out loans. In fact I don't think I would be able to go to these unis without receiving scholarships and bursaries. My grades are probably good enough but still, getting an A* when you can do the same course with an A at another uni makes a difference.
    I would also appreciate uni recommendations to look into. I'm planning to study life sciences (biology,genetics...) though that's still open to change.

ReputationRep:
    Prestige universities are that for a reason - they most likely receive more funding, the professors are more experienced, the degree you come out with is a lot more research-based. I believe it's worth it, but even if you applied to Oxford/Cambridge, you still have 3 other choices, so you can have a variety of universities with a variety of entry requirements. Plenty of time to make your mind up

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.