Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I understand this is something I shouldn't be relying upon however I have a feeling I may not meet my AAA offer from UofManchester because of maths. I have heard that sometimes universities can be accommodating should someone miss their offer by a few marks etc. Does anyone know if Manchester does this from time to time? Considering that my school, sixth form and my post code are basically bad enough to get me a contextual offer, which Ididn't receive, is there a chance of get in with AAB? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nabz99)
    I understand this is something I shouldn't be relying upon however I have a feeling I may not meet my AAA offer from UofManchester because of maths. I have heard that sometimes universities can be accommodating should someone miss their offer by a few marks etc. Does anyone know if Manchester does this from time to time? Considering that my school, sixth form and my post code are basically bad enough to get me a contextual offer, which Ididn't receive, is there a chance of get in with AAB? Thanks.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Yes.
    Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity how low do you think they'd go? Will obviously aim to get the 3 A's but just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity how low do you think they'd go? Will obviously aim to get the 3 A's but just in case.
    Depends on the year. I dunno if Manchester gave a full reply to Notorious_B.I.G.'s FOI requests, but, well, there are people there with less than AAA.

Source: https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/entr...eturnTo/Search

Getting AAA at A-level + another A at AS level works out at 168 UCAS tariff points.

Getting just AAA at A-level works out at 144 UCAS tariff points.

As you can see from the chart, 23+3 = 26% of Manc Law students in 2014-2016 got less than 144 points. This means that, even if they weren't expected to do 4 AS levels (which was a near-requirement under the previous A-level system), they would have missed the AAA offer. They probably got some variation of ABB + another B at AS level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Depends on the year. I dunno if Manchester gave a full reply to Notorious_B.I.G.'s FOI requests, but, well, there are people there with less than AAA.

Getting AAA at A-level + another A at AS level works out at 168 UCAS tariff points.

As you can see from the chart, 23+3 = 26% of Manc Law students in 2014-2016 got less than 144 points. This means that, even if they weren't expected to do 4 AS levels (which was a near-requirement under the previous A-level system), they would have missed the AAA offer. They probably got some variation of ABB + another B at AS level.
    How'd you guess it. Yeah, not said boo and about 6 weeks overdue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)

Thank you! ABB+B at AS works out to 144. I haven't got any extra AS so What does that mean for me? All my subjects were under the previous system. I got 3 A grades for the AS last year but I was encouraged to not pick a fourth due to my gcses. Is my only option to get 3 A grades? Is there no wiggle room then?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! ABB+B at AS works out to 144. I haven't got any extra AS so What does that mean for me? All my subjects were under the previous system. I got 3 A grades for the AS last year but I was encouraged to not pick a fourth due to my gcses. Is my only option to get 3 A grades? Is there no wiggle room then?
    I think that it's important to remember that they don't base their decision on your ability to meet a certain grade threshold. It's not "144 or bust".

The 3 AS won't look great given that they were achieved under an old system when 4 AS was the norm, but they probably took that into account when they decided to give you an offer anyway.

Having spoken to recruiters at various unis when applying a few years ago, the general feeling I got was that the decision to accept you or not is based on a variety of factors. This includes the spare capacity for the course, how far you've missed your offer, and whether you've taken any steps to show a particular interest in that university (e.g. by firming it, or attending their offer holders day). Your other grades and p.s. may also be reviewed if it's you vs one other borderline candidate vying for the same place.

Either way, my point is that an AAB isn't a massive miss (a lot of people have gotten in with a lot less, as you can see!). The fact that you firmed the Manc is also promising. I wouldn't worry too much. Go for AAA, try to minimise any losses to AAB. You've still got a good chance of getting in either way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.