Turn on thread page Beta

what blood test do they do at A&E? watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to A&E with really bad pain in my flank.. they just gave me pain killers and a blood test and sent me away. The Dr said he doesnt need to do any further investigating as a blood test rules out anything serious... surely this is BS? a normatl blood test cant pickup serious diseases..?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    I went to A&E with really bad pain in my flank.. they just gave me pain killers and a blood test and sent me away. The Dr said he doesnt need to do any further investigating as a blood test rules out anything serious... surely this is BS? a normatl blood test cant pickup serious diseases..?
    What makes you think it can't pick up any serious diseases?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    What makes you think it can't pick up any serious diseases?
    Because its a fact that it cant.. Im not even a Dr and I know that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got Milk)
    Because its a fact that it cant.. Im not even a Dr and I know that.
    It can rule out anything serious that would cause pain where you were feeling it e.g it can prove as indicators for anemia, infection, inflammation, organ failure
    If you're unsure about what they did, including which blood test was done, ask your GP, They will receive a letter soon about your hospital visit which would include your presenting complaint and what they did. (takes up to a week).

Most common blood tests:
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-tests/types/

Blood tests list A-Z:
    https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests-index

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zahid~)
    It can rule out anything serious that would cause pain where you were feeling it e.g it can prove as indicators for anemia, infection, inflammation, organ failure
    If you're unsure about what they did, including which blood test was done, ask your GP, They will receive a letter soon about your hospital visit which would include your presenting complaint and what they did. (takes up to a week).

Most common blood tests:
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-tests/types/

Blood tests list A-Z:
    https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests-index
    Are you a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    It can pick up some things, yes. I know from experience having not expected the test to show anything. If it does, they will then probably choose to do different types of blood tests to investigate more

ReputationRep:
    Blood tests along with your symptoms and examination can be used to say that there is nothing life threatening to cause your abdominal pain.

If the pain is still an issue you need to see your GP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etomidate)
    Blood tests along with your symptoms and examination can be used to say that there is nothing life threatening to cause your abdominal pain.

If the pain is still an issue you need to see your GP
    Ive seen three drs none are concerned which I dont get, reoccurant pain and its like they think its minor.. its been on/off for ages it went away for like two months now its back

ReputationRep:
    If it comes back occasionally it's probably lifestyle related
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zahid~)
    If it comes back occasionally it's probably lifestyle related
    What yah mean?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.