what blood test do they do at A&E? Watch

username3016746
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I went to A&E with really bad pain in my flank.. they just gave me pain killers and a blood test and sent me away. The Dr said he doesnt need to do any further investigating as a blood test rules out anything serious... surely this is BS? a normatl blood test cant pickup serious diseases..?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Got Milk)
I went to A&E with really bad pain in my flank.. they just gave me pain killers and a blood test and sent me away. The Dr said he doesnt need to do any further investigating as a blood test rules out anything serious... surely this is BS? a normatl blood test cant pickup serious diseases..?
What makes you think it can't pick up any serious diseases?
username3016746
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
What makes you think it can't pick up any serious diseases?
Because its a fact that it cant.. Im not even a Dr and I know that.
Zahid~
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Got Milk)
Because its a fact that it cant.. Im not even a Dr and I know that.
It can rule out anything serious that would cause pain where you were feeling it e.g it can prove as indicators for anemia, infection, inflammation, organ failure
If you're unsure about what they did, including which blood test was done, ask your GP, They will receive a letter soon about your hospital visit which would include your presenting complaint and what they did. (takes up to a week).

Most common blood tests:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-tests/types/

Blood tests list A-Z:
https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests-index
username3016746
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zahid~)
It can rule out anything serious that would cause pain where you were feeling it e.g it can prove as indicators for anemia, infection, inflammation, organ failure
If you're unsure about what they did, including which blood test was done, ask your GP, They will receive a letter soon about your hospital visit which would include your presenting complaint and what they did. (takes up to a week).

Most common blood tests:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-tests/types/

Blood tests list A-Z:
https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests-index
Are you a doctor?
spellbound1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It can pick up some things, yes. I know from experience having not expected the test to show anything. If it does, they will then probably choose to do different types of blood tests to investigate more
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Blood tests along with your symptoms and examination can be used to say that there is nothing life threatening to cause your abdominal pain.

If the pain is still an issue you need to see your GP
username3016746
Rep:
?
(Original post by Etomidate)
Blood tests along with your symptoms and examination can be used to say that there is nothing life threatening to cause your abdominal pain.

If the pain is still an issue you need to see your GP
Ive seen three drs none are concerned which I dont get, reoccurant pain and its like they think its minor.. its been on/off for ages it went away for like two months now its back
Zahid~
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If it comes back occasionally it's probably lifestyle related
username3016746
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zahid~)
If it comes back occasionally it's probably lifestyle related
What yah mean?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads