Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Did you feel prepared to move out for university? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    All in one tabs that you just chuck in with the clothes ftw!
    Oh you mean those ones that taste delicious if you eat them?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Michelle Bieger)
    Hm, I never really felt that there was anything to prepare. I didn't cook very much before starting uni (I baked loads before--but unfortunately one cannot survive on cake alone ), but anything is learn-able with the internet at our fingertips nowadays!

If I had any questions about laundry or some such, my first go-to would be to read the back of relevant items (eg. read the back of the laundry detergent); and if that didn't clear it up, the Internet definitely would most of the time. Calling home also helped when I got homesick or had a question that truly could not be answered by inputting it in Google.
    Baking some things is trickier than cooking so i m sure you had some skills to help with cooking. The internet does make a lot of adult life much easier these days.

(Original post by Nurani61105)
    My mum's giving me an intensive course of cooking over the summer as long as I promise to do self defence lessons in return (overprotective asian parent). I'm most likely going to meal prep since it saves time, can be healthier and is way cheaper).
    I'll probably come home to do the laundry on weekends since it's £4.50 per cycle of wash and dry (I'd need 2 cycles or I'd have to stop wearing white). But I'll see if that saves any money or not.
    Practicality wise, I may be prepared but I don't think I am mentally. Even though I'm super excited, I feel nervous as well.
    £4.50 is insane for washing, i think i paid £2.50 and that was four years ago. Self defence is a useful skill, i actually got my phone stolen in freshers week so you never know it could come in handy (not to scare you or anything, i was just unlucky). Meal prepping is very sensible, i think not having the time or effort to cook can cost a lot so it's great that you'll have food ready on hand for you.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    I didn't know how to cook, do laundry or chores.

Yet I was confident that I could learn how to do them immediately because they're not complicated in the slightest. I was right.
    Most things aren't too complicated, it's just getting the hang of doing them really.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I wasn't really prepared for it at all, but I did surprise myself at how well and how quickly I adapted. I was expecting to fall apart and be homesick a lot but I wasn't!
    It's great that you didn't get too home sick

(Original post by Zxyn)
    I’ve practically been living alone since 15 so yeah, I’m more than ready. The only thing I don’t know is how to use the washing machine, why do they have 3 sections in that thing you open?
    One is for the detergent, one is for fabric conditioner , i think the third is for some sort of pre wash setting.
    (Original post by The Night King)
    I was really unprepared to move to uni. All my life I had maids do everything for me. But 5 months later and now I’m completely independant.
    That must have been quite the big change for you
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Zxyn)
    Oh you mean those ones that taste delicious if you eat them?
    Yeh like the tide pods xD

(Original post by claireestelle)
    Baking some things is trickier than cooking so i m sure you had some skills to help with cooking. The internet does make a lot of adult life much easier these days.

£4.50 is insane for washing, i think i paid £2.50 and that was four years ago. Self defence is a useful skill, i actually got my phone stolen in freshers week so you never know it could come in handy (not to scare you or anything, i was just unlucky). Meal prepping is very sensible, i think not having the time or effort to cook can cost a lot so it's great that you'll have food ready on hand for you.
    Yeh, UEA use circuit laundry if you live on campus and it's about £4.50 for a wash and dry, and the dry cycle rarely actually dried the clothes properly so was a bit of scam!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Oh my god yes!!! Frozen veg + microwave = me actually eating veg as opposed to never eating veg xD I'm also a big fan of things that I can do that end up in one pan/dish and that give leftovers... Cook a nice lasagne and that's meals for half the week sorted... fortunately I don't mind having the same meal for a few days on the trot
    Yes, one pan meals are brilliant, i make a lot in our wok and just chuck some handfuls of frozen veg in it. I can't eat the same thing more than two days in a row, when it was me on my own i'd end up binning leftovers sometimes.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yeh, UEA use circuit laundry if you live on campus and it's about £4.50 for a wash and dry, and the dry cycle rarely actually dried the clothes properly so was a bit of scam!
    Yeah i remember the same problem at uclan, really bad dryers so i ended up having a clothes dryer in my room in the end.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Yeah i remember the same problem at uclan, really bad dryers so i ended up having a clothes dryer in my room in the end.
    Yeh, especially things like shirts I'd hang over the door when I had a shower to help with creases and to dry xD
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yeh, especially things like shirts I'd hang over the door when I had a shower to help with creases and to dry xD
    Exactly, i decided to buy an iron before moving into halls and never used it thanks to that trick, fortunately i have mr claireestelle to do ironing for me now to make up for my hatred of it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Exactly, i decided to buy an iron before moving into halls and never used it thanks to that trick, fortunately i have mr claireestelle to do ironing for me now to make up for my hatred of it.
    Haha, yeh I absolutely hate ironing. Only whip it out when it's something really important that I wanna look snazzy for otherwise it sits firmly at the back of my cupboard!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Haha, yeh I absolutely hate ironing. Only whip it out when it's something really important that I wanna look snazzy for otherwise it sits firmly at the back of my cupboard!
    One day fancy clothes will exist that don't need ironing hopefully!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    One day fancy clothes will exist that don't need ironing hopefully!
    Haha yeh! I do have some 'non iron' shirts which are fairly decent. They do need a bit of an iron to get big creases out of, but considerably easier and quicker to iron than normal ones!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That must have been quite the big change for you
    It was, but I adapted quickly. I struggled for the first week or so and then it got pretty easy.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It was, but I adapted quickly. I struggled for the first week or so and then it got pretty easy.
    I think everyone finds the first week difficult though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think everyone finds the first week difficult though.
    I guess so...on my first hour my parents dropped me off, I managed to lose my water bottle already:laugh: Funnily enough that’s the only thing I lost till now
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I guess so...on my first hour my parents dropped me off, I managed to lose my water bottle already:laugh: Funnily enough that’s the only thing I lost till now
    That's pretty good going for living in halls, i lost count of the missing cutlery and other things whilst i was there.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    That's pretty good going for living in halls, i lost count of the missing cutlery and other things whilst i was there.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.