Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How are people revising for French? I'm taking higher and I'm predicted a 6-7 but I really want to bring it up...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by anyone1234)
    How are people revising for French? I'm taking higher and I'm predicted a 6-7 but I really want to bring it up...
    I like to use Duolingo and memrise (both free) to learn vocab. I also use quizlet for vocab too .
    For writing, I practice writing in different tenses and getting my accents right
    For reading/listening I have a textbook (edexcel one) with a load of practice questions inside.
    And for speaking, you really just have to practice, I like to act out the speaking exams with mock cards beforehand so I go into it with more confidence
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Immerse yourself in the language. What I've done for German is I changed my PC and Phone language to German so that I subconsciously learn vocabulary. Also I use German media to help me learn new phrases and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    I do Spanish 9-1 and what I do is read Spanish literature (e.g. books, articles, etc) I had this as my sole revision method for the mocks and got an 8 despite my target being a 6. I know some people recommend things like duolingo but, for me, all that does is show you the vocab but in order to actually use it you need to be familiar with it which i could never achieve with revision services like that.

ReputationRep:
    I do many languages and I'm very advanced in French getting 9's in my mocks so my revision techniques help but I'm not sure if its the same for everyone.
    1- learn the French tenses . Almost(not all) French tense have an English equivalent. If you want a 8 or 9 one way is to learn about 10 tenses( there are 15 in total I think) . The subjunctive tenses is one of hardest for French learners and using them correctly in your writing and speaking exam will definitely boost your grade to 8 or 9 providing that everything else is grammatically correct and makes sense,
    2- Make sure you speak with a good French accent so most/all of what you are saying can be understood.
    3- learn vocabulary. I'm currently learning hundreds of words by going and memorising a page from my French-english dictionary every day. Try to pick out the most common. If thats too much then look at your exam syllabus. Most words that youll need for your exam will be on the exam syllabus (but not all words which is why I prefer to revise from the dictionary)
    4- This is if you really want to speak fluently but speak with native speakers by text. There are apps where you can speak to French people that are the same age as you and are learning English . You could text them in French and they'll text back in English and you correct each other for mistakes .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polyglot23)
    I do many languages and I'm very advanced in French getting 9's in my mocks so my revision techniques help but I'm not sure if its the same for everyone.
    1- learn the French tenses . Almost(not all) French tense have an English equivalent. If you want a 8 or 9 one way is to learn about 10 tenses( there are 15 in total I think) . The subjunctive tenses is one of hardest for French learners and using them correctly in your writing and speaking exam will definitely boost your grade to 8 or 9 providing that everything else is grammatically correct and makes sense,
    2- Make sure you speak with a good French accent so most/all of what you are saying can be understood.
    3- learn vocabulary. I'm currently learning hundreds of words by going and memorising a page from my French-english dictionary every day. Try to pick out the most common. If thats too much then look at your exam syllabus. Most words that youll need for your exam will be on the exam syllabus (but not all words which is why I prefer to revise from the dictionary)
    4- This is if you really want to speak fluently but speak with native speakers by text. There are apps where you can speak to French people that are the same age as you and are learning English . You could text them in French and they'll text back in English and you correct each other for mistakes .
    For number four, do you know what these apps are called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinxx)
    For number four, do you know what these apps are called?
    Yep 😊. One is called HelloTalk. The other is called italki however italki is not free and it’s more like having French teachers tutor you in language over FaceTime . But yes hellotalk is where you’ll be able to talk with French natives(and other natives ) who are learning English or other languages . I hope that helps 🙃

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.