The Student Room Group

Logic and Languages

I'm a logical person. Maths, physics and engineering are my strengths, in fact I want to study engineering at Cambridge and I'm currently taking Maths, Physics and Further Maths. Languages on the other hand are difficult for me, really difficult. At GCSE I took French and came out with an A* and thought hey, I'm pretty good at this, and I was encouraged to take it at A-Level. It is the hardest course I'm taking. I have a small French class, only 3 including myself. The other two students took English, Drama, Philosophy and Music. They pull disgusted faces and make vomiting noises when I mention Maths. Why do you like it, they say to me, what would possess you to take it? Meekly, I reply: because it makes sense.

Without a doubt, I am the weakest student in that class. Languages don't follow my way of thinking at all and yet I'm so glad I took French because otherwise I think I would have lost that different way of thinking which languages encourage. Even since I've started college my style of writing in English has changed, with my sentences being very short and to the point. A logical, step-by-step approach. Whilst putting together a personal statement and CV during the autumn term, I asked our college's study support lady to proof read it. Scanning through the document, she reaches my grades and her eyes widen as she looks at my english language and literature grades (9 and 8 respectively). I have no idea how you got those, she says. Laughing nervously, I quietly respond, yeah me neither.

Due to changes in A-Levels at my college, Further Maths is the only course I can drop after 1 year and gain an AS Level. This means I'm completing the full two year course in Maths, Physics, Further Maths and French and, what with my aim being to get into Cambridge, I need to get A*s in all of them. So far, all of my courses are going well at around A-A* level, except for French which I think is gonna be my main concern over the two years. GCSEs were easy, A-Levels? Let's find out.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest