-

Touchscreen needed?
    No

Are there any specific ports you need?
    -

What devices do you have currently?
    Macbook Pro 15inch (2015) and iPhone 7

ReputationRep:
    When did you get your macbook? If it is only recently it should definitely serve you well for uni. Microsoft office isn't a very demanding software to run.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefilmbuff)
    When did you get your macbook? If it is only recently it should definitely serve you well for uni. Microsoft office isn't a very demanding software to run.
    I got it in 2016. I've been told that having a lighter and smaller would be better than carrying around my macbook around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xjessicaa)
    I got it in 2016. I've been told that having a lighter and smaller would be better than carrying around my macbook around.
    If you plan on bringing your macbook with you and want a laptop just for carrying around to take notes in lectures etc something like the HP Stream 14 might suit you. It's not the prettiest laptop but it's more than capable of running Microsoft office programmes. it's also significantly cheaper than a macbook so would probably be something you'd feel safer carrying out and about. A downside to this is it has 32GB storage, but nothing a hard drive can't solve and as I said this would be more ideal of you planned to take your macbook with you so you could just transfer files onto that at the end of the day.

A more middle of your budget option is the Asus ZenBook UX310UA. That laptop is actually predicted to be the "New macbook air" runs window though. It definitely a great laptop for the price range. Although I have heard the keyboard takes some getting used to. Again it will run Microsoft office with no problem. I think this would be the best considering what your usage of it will be.

My final suggestion that's just in your budget is the Dell XPS 13. Same pros as the Asus. It's half the weight of a macbook pro and will have better performance.

If you plan on raising your budget you should have a look for Ultrabooks (laptops designed to be light with high performance) although this may be overkill for your usage.

I hope that helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would normally second the Dell XPS 13 but since you already own a Macbook I see no reason why you need another laptop. Forget what you have been told, is carrying the Macbook for you a problem? It's going to be lighter than or on par with a lot of budget laptops in terms of weight and the only way you'll shave some weight off is to get a proper ultrabook. But even a standard weight laptop that sits around 2Kg is not too heavy to be carrying around with you.

There's no real need for you to get something smaller and lighter to carry around with you when your Macbook is going to do the job just fine. Save your money. If when you get to university you decide that actually you'd prefer something lighter then consider it at that time. But don't waste £1000 on a nice ultrabook just because someone told you that it'd be better to have something lighter and smaller for carrying around at uni.

I can't speka for all courses but university is not like school. You will not find yourself carrying tons of books, papers, etc. where saving every gram counts. Your daily bag might contain your laptop, a notepad and a single textbook if you're unlucky. For lectures and classes, a laptop won't be necessary and odds are there are computers you can use when out and about if carrying your Macbook is for some reason an issue. But in all honesty, if you're not able to deal with carrying a laptop, a textbook or 2 and a notepad daily then I don't think changing the Macbook into an ultrabook will help all that much in the long run. Wait and see if it's actually a problem for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.