Turn on thread page Beta

Nike nothing beats a londoner - why are people being racist?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just saw this really awesome Nike advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0j_CX1S2es

absolutely loved it but there were a ridiculous amount of racist comments underneath the video! Everyone knows that London is extremely diverse and that's what this video shows but the comment section is dominated by white people harrassing those who are proud to be a londoner, calling us "invaders" and "brown freaks".

Just look at this:

Twintube - I’m a #LDNR, this advert is so sick🤟🏽

Replies:

Steven Jacks - Another brown 'Londoner' talking in Pigeon English, what vibrant diversity you bring to my nation's capital...

Coffee is a drug like marijuana - Twintube You're not a Londoner, you're an invader. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that the English government allows you brown freaks to destroy the ancient culture of the anglos.(I know you are stupid so when I say culture, I mean the millions people who come from 1 family 1500 years ago, I do not mean culture like you are thinking.)

That was just some of the comments.
    whyyyy are people like this?! what did you guys think of the video?

ReputationRep:
    It’s always white people, isn’t it? Some want everything for themselves. Every word, every little thing and it’s just so annoying. There are legit white people who are mad that makeup companies have improved their foundation shades and have catered their makeup to those with darker skin. It’s disgusting. There are white people who can’t stand other races of men dating white women. 👎🏽
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FloralLuxe)
    It’s always white people, isn’t it? Some want everything for themselves. Every word, every little thing and it’s just so annoying. There are legit white people who are mad that makeup companies have improved their foundation shades and have catered their makeup to those with darker skin. It’s disgusting. There are white people who can’t stand other races of men dating white women. 👎🏽
    Is that Daenerys in your dp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Is that Daenerys in your dp?
    Nah
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    I just saw this really awesome Nike advert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0j_CX1S2es

absolutely loved it but there were a ridiculous amount of racist comments underneath the video! Everyone knows that London is extremely diverse and that's what this video shows but the comment section is dominated by white people harrassing those who are proud to be a londoner, calling us "invaders" and "brown freaks".

Just look at this:

Twintube - I’m a #LDNR, this advert is so sick🤟🏽

Replies:

Steven Jacks - Another brown 'Londoner' talking in Pigeon English, what vibrant diversity you bring to my nation's capital...

Coffee is a drug like marijuana - Twintube You're not a Londoner, you're an invader. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that the English government allows you brown freaks to destroy the ancient culture of the anglos.(I know you are stupid so when I say culture, I mean the millions people who come from 1 family 1500 years ago, I do not mean culture like you are thinking.)

That was just some of the comments.
    whyyyy are people like this?! what did you guys think of the video?
    The sad truth is a lot of people can't stand diversity, they see it as their culture, race and identity are being replaced, it's pretty tragic. Some people are just racist and there's not much you can do or say to change their minds. The world is becoming less and less racist as time goes on though so eventually it will be a nonexistent matter hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    The video is aimed at young people, and so it's based on youth culture in London. Most white youth embrace the diversity in London pretty well. I would say those racist comments are coming from some of the older white people.

(Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    The world is becoming less and less racist as time goes on though so eventually it will be a nonexistent matter hopefully.
    Is it though? The Nazis (and others in the post-Darwin era, such as Churchill) were far more racist than the Romans; eastern Europe post-USSR is more racist than it was pre-USSR.

Fascist parties in Europe are far more popular than they were 20 years ago. After a black president, the US reverted to an even more racist white president than Bush.

The assumption that racism will just go away on its own is dangerously complacent.

ReputationRep:
    The video doesn't show that London is diverse at all.

Where are the Asians?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralLuxe)
    If you're against racism, why are you making a massive generalisation about a whole race of people.

ReputationRep:
    As a black person watching this, I do actually feel black people were a little too over represented in that video

I mean I lived in London, yeah it's pretty black ....but not THAT black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

Where are the Asians?
    tbh thats true, I did notice that although there were a couple of asian youths in the video just not as many as black. I really loved the video, I just wish it had a little bit more representation of Asians.
    perhaps, and this is just a theory so feel free to disagree, asian kids are less involved in sports? I mean this ad is about london youths who actually engage in sports. Also, Asians generally come from a strict background (not all,some) maybe they declined to be in the video due to those reasons. These are just theories though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamal tyrone)
    If you're against racism, why are you making a massive generalisation about a whole race of people.
    I’m saying some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    tbh thats true, I did notice that although there were a couple of asian youths in the video just not as many as black. I really loved the video, I just wish it had a little bit more representation of Asians.
    perhaps, and this is just a theory so feel free to disagree, asian kids are less involved in sports? I mean this ad is about london youths who actually engage in sports. Also, Asians generally come from a strict background (not all,some) maybe they declined to be in the video due to those reasons. These are just theories though
    They could easily have got Asians from the public to participate in this advert and there are plenty of Asian cricketers.

The only one I think the general public would recognise though is Moeen Ali but he is from Birmingham.

The advert itself is cool but diverse it is not.

ReputationRep:
    Because white skin is ideal in western society. They feel undermined when they don’t see their own race in any place.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

Where are the Asians?
    I liked the advert but you make a good point. its not really diverse unless you're of the opinion that more black people = diversity
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The internet has always been full of teenage edgelords making racist comments. Unfortunately.

None of them will echo those views in "real life".

(Original post by faloodeh)
    I liked the advert but you make a good point. its not really diverse unless you're of the opinion that more black people = diversity
    Name:  hella diverse.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  82.3 KB
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    People need to calm down.

Yes, the video was about diversity but was also about Nike advertising its brand. Most of the people on the advert were Nike Ambassadors.

Unfortunately, racism is still live and kicking. Now people have evolved to covert or faceless racism because overt attacks are unpopular.

We should drive out racism and not try to normalise it by justifying people’s actions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying in London and I can't imagine myself studying anywhere else. London is the best city in the UK. Life is easy here compared other parts of the UK. Living standards are really high..London is 24/7/365 city. Its always on. It never shuts down. Feel like a niche meal at 3am in the morning?...no problem you get a choice from a thousand different take aways and restaurant all within a mile from where you live....I've got five superstores open 24/7 all a 15-20min walk from where I live....transport services are amazing....never have to wait more than a couple of minutes to catch a bus anywhere in London to anywhere in London and the underground services are fab....you have anything and everything you could possibly need or want in london...i've been here for two years now and I'm loving it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieButter)
    I'm currently studying in London and I can't imagine myself studying anywhere else. London is the best city in the UK. Life is easy here compared other parts of the UK. Living standards are really high..London is 24/7/365 city. Its always on. It never shuts down. Feel like a niche meal at 3am in the morning?...no problem you get a choice from a thousand different take aways and restaurant all within a mile from where you live....I've got five superstores open 24/7 all a 15-20min walk from where I live....transport services are amazing....never have to wait more than a couple of minutes to catch a bus anywhere in London to anywhere in London and the underground services are fab....you have anything and everything you could possibly need or want in london...i've been here for two years now and I'm loving it.
    Lived here my whole life,17 years lmao, and I love it too. Totally agree with everything you said

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.