Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving single parent for university watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, in September I’m off to university and my only worry is leaving my Mum who is a single parent and has been for over 10 years. I live in Leicester and my mum really wants me to go to Nottingham but I want to go to Bournemouth as I really want to experience it all! I feel really bad about leaving and still deciding. She’s also worried about her financial state etc. If anyone can offer any advice on what to do before firmly deciding my choice it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronKJM)
    Hi there, in September I’m off to university and my only worry is leaving my Mum who is a single parent and has been for over 10 years. I live in Leicester and my mum really wants me to go to Nottingham but I want to go to Bournemouth as I really want to experience it all! I feel really bad about leaving and still deciding. She’s also worried about her financial state etc. If anyone can offer any advice on what to do before firmly deciding my choice it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
    Could you expand on what you mean by "she's also worried about her financial state"

Do you know whether she is concerned about providing for you at university, or whether she will struggle to pay bills once you have completed 'A' levels?

ReputationRep:
    I think she means weather she’ll receive her working tax credits still, etc. or whatever she gets for me still being a student

ReputationRep:
    I think she means weather she’ll receive her working tax credits still, etc.
    Do you have younger siblings?

To be honest, the tax credits etc fall a lot when a child finished secondary education - its a really big deal if a woman has been doing part time work.

You could check entitledto.com to see what might happen.

ReputationRep:
    No younger siblings on my mums side which is why I’m so worried about leaving her. Thank you though I will get her to properly check.

ReputationRep:
    No younger siblings on my mums side which is why I’m so worried about leaving her. Thank you though I will get her to properly check.
    check carefully - in general tax credits stop when the child finished secondary education/ and or reaches 18.

So you going to university or not would make no difference to the benefits calculation.

Try forums where such discussions are more common and people who are in that situation can try to assist.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go to Bournemouth. Part of the uni experience is leaving home, part of a parents job is preparing their kids to do this. Doesn't mean you can't put a lot of effort in to keeping in touch.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hi, I've moved your thread to the Money and finance forum. There's some knowledgeable folks here who can give you some tips.

ReputationRep:
    I can't advise on the financial side, but I'd just keep the conversation open with your Mum re your preference for Bournemouth. That will give her more opportunity to make the necessary adjustment to the prospect of you moving away.

As you're ready to move on, she's clearly done a great job in allowing you the space to mature and develop the necessary confidence for this move. That's something to celebrate.

ReputationRep:
    Leaving home is part of life, it's going to happen at some point. You need to do what's best for you. Leicester to Bournemouth is 175 miles, it's not as if you're moving halfway around the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Leaving home is part of life, it's going to happen at some point. You need to do what's best for you. Leicester to Bournemouth is 175 miles, it's not as if you're moving halfway around the world.
    Try telling her that mate haha, but yeah realise it’s best for me just gotta convince her that.

ReputationRep:
    sorry my knowledge of the financial some is basically zero bit I'm a final year at Bournemouth so if you have questions about that ask ask away.

like was said above I thought tax credits finished when you turned 18 anywau as you're legally an adult? worth checking.

I'd reccomend moving out if possible. you gain so much more moving out Imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCFCfan4eva)
    sorry my knowledge of the financial some is basically zero bit I'm a final year at Bournemouth so if you have questions about that ask ask away.

like was said above I thought tax credits finished when you turned 18 anywau as you're legally an adult? worth checking.

I'd reccomend moving out if possible. you gain so much more moving out Imo
    How is it down there mate? Nightlife good & is accommodation near to city centre and clubs like halo? I’ve heard good things

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm living with my Mother and ever since her tax credits were stopped when I left college in 2015, it's been hard. I've had to get a job immediately after and she's making me pay her £500 a month to cover the rent. She's terrible at managing money, "borrows" off of me constantly and hasn't had any ambition to get a better job and now I'm having to pay for it.

To cut a long story short, don't end up like me. Move out and live your life, she will have to manage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronxFrancis)
    I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm living with my Mother and ever since her tax credits were stopped when I left college in 2015, it's been hard. I've had to get a job immediately after and she's making me pay her £500 a month to cover the rent. She's terrible at managing money, "borrows" off of me constantly and hasn't had any ambition to get a better job and now I'm having to pay for it.

To cut a long story short, don't end up like me. Move out and live your life, she will have to manage.
    Feel for you mate, feel I’d be in the same situation completely understand. Thank you for the advice tho mate appreciate it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ajj2000)
    check carefully - in general tax credits stop when the child finished secondary education/ and or reaches 18.

So you going to university or not would make no difference to the benefits calculation.

Try forums where such discussions are more common and people who are in that situation can try to assist.
    I agree

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.