Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hypothetical Question - UK to USA watch

    • Thread Starter


    Would a student who has done their 5 or 6 year medicine course in the UK be able to do the F1 & F2 equivalent (Residency and Fellowship) in the USA? A simple carry over?

    Or must one finish foundation years in UK and then make the move?

    Thanks in advance! I have no plans in doing so, a friend posed the question and I have been thinking about it ever since..
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    As long as you have also completed the american medical exams - the USMLE - then yes you can.

    Completing said exams is very expensive and quite challenging as the curriculum doesn't really follow the order in which things tend to be taught in the UK and it tends to focus on different things versus typical UK medical training.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2018
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.