Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I am 24 y.o and i dropped out of the uni when i was 19. I have been living in England since then.

I would like to study Finance in the UK, but my marks from the equivalent to UK Alevels are really mediocre, i have already checked several websites and still didnt find any single one with low requirements.

Could anyone tell me if i have any chance of finding a place to study?

Would you suggest me to retake A levels?

Thanks in advance
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ESKETITTT)
    Hi there,

I am 24 y.o and i dropped out of the uni when i was 19. I have been living in England since then.

I would like to study Finance in the UK, but my marks from the equivalent to UK Alevels are really mediocre, i have already checked several websites and still didnt find any single one with low requirements.

Thanks in advance
    have you looked into foundation years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ESKETITTT)
    Hi there,

Thanks in advance
    If you’d like to take the course but there isn’t one in which you meet the entry requirements for - Retaking your A-Levels or, taking a Foundation Year at Uni might be better options. Where you’ve been looking at Finance degrees, look for ones with a foundation option.

Someone more well versed in finance might be able to advise you better than myself. ☺️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Claire, Foundation Years are specifically for international students in your situation.

There is little point taking A Levels at this stage, because the scope is so broad when you already know what you wish to study - Maths and perhaps Economics would be useful for Finance, but a typical University offer is composed of three, sometimes with an additional As for competitive universities, and whilst you may get personal satisfaction from studying something like Physics, it truly will not be useful unless you take your degree to a higher level. (Post grad Finance and Econ takes Physics concepts and applies it. Never thought I'd see Schrödingers equation used to define an economy and the movement of money).

Rather than two years like A Levels, a foundation year is one year, teaches things specific to your future course, and if you are eligible for student finance funding for the degree you will also be eligible for funding for the foundation year. It is meant as a bridge step for graduates of foreign secondary school systems to bridge the gap where they don't have the equivalent A Level grades, and also to prepare them for using academic English. The bonus is that the foundation year is attached to the course you wish to study, once you get accepted to the foundation year, as long as you don't fail it, you are guaranteed progression to your uni course. Not so with A Levels.

I cannot offer further advice as to which Universities foundation courses to look at without knowing what your secondary school qualifications are (IB, Abitur etc), and what sort of grades we are talking about.

You have already missed the UCAS deadline for applying this year, but that gives you from now until September to work on your application. Get some work experience in Finance, polish up your personal statement etc. so that come September you can apply as soon as applications open.

Note: it is possible to apply now even after missing the UCAS deadline, which you should consider given that you already have your grades, and then if you get no offers you will go into Clearing in the summer after A Level grades are released. However, foundation years have limited places and are offered at only select universities, so this is an unlikely route. But not impossible. You would only know by calling admissions at Unis offering a foundation year.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I was an international student support assistant for two years, and whilst I am only familiar with my own alma maters foundation school, can offer general advice on the admissions process.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.