Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My gcse controlled assessment is in 6 months and I have no idea on how to code.
    I do Python coding I need to learn it at a advance level before May becuse I have a Mock controlled assessment (which is 10 hours long but the real thing is 20 hours).

Can someone pleae help me ASAP on how I should learn to code in practically 3 months.

Thank You.

Hi! Firstly, don't worry (yet), 6 months is still plenty of time, as long as you're willing to put in the work. Just take everything one step at a time and don't worry if it seems like a mountain to climb right now. Try to give yourself a couple of hours each day if you can, and before you know it you'll have made the jump from 'zero' to knowing quite a lot of the Python basics, and almost certainly enough for a good grade in your assessment.

I would start out by following the Codecademy Python course here (Just use the free courses, you don't need to pay for the extras): https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-python
    This is a good course because it's fairly well explained, and well paced, covering all the essential stuff. You don't need to install anything for this one.

Once you've picked up the basics from Codecademy, use the official Python tutorial to get the Python tools set up and running on your own computer:

And you might find some of the more advanced tutorials useful here:

When you've 'graduated' from Codeademy and you want to write code on your computer, you might find it useful to install a python development environment, so that you get access to some useful tools such as auto-complete and syntax-highlighting - things which generally make it a little bit easier to write code than a plain old text editor (Not that there's anything wrong with 'Notepad', but you might find things get easier when you're using a proper tool)
    e.g. PyCharm:
    (Simple PyCharm tutorial): https://www.jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/first-steps.html

Do you have access to any controlled assessments from previous years (Not including the mock, of course)? If so, it would be a good idea to work at one of these past assessments to treat it like a personal project, where you can test yourself and your ability to apply the things you're learning. Although I would wait until you've at least completed the online Codecademy lessons before doing this.

Lastly, if you get stuck with any specific Python problems (e.g. the Python interpreter might be giving you some weird errors which you can't decypher, or you just need to get some help with a particular bit of code you've written), then make sure you check out https://stackoverflow.com - which is a really huge Q&A site for programming problems. Also, don't forget that a 'copy+paste' of an error or the name of a python function into google usually finds you answers pretty quickly too.

Good Luck!

Isn't your teacher going to teach you how to code?When I done Computer Science I did it only in one year but our teacher still managed to teach us how to code for the assessment (I got 59/60)

By controlled assessment do you mean the 20 hour NEA? I presume you're in Year 10, and haven't been told about the changes occurring with the computer science coursework.I'm in Year 11, and just had to do my 20 hours assessment, but because lots of people were cheating and the code was posted online, Ofqual (who regulate exam boards) said that it counted for 0% of your GCSE, but you still have to do it.

This means for your year group, there should be some changes in what happens with the course. I highly doubt they'll do the same that they did with my year.So it's best you go speak to your teacher and find out what is actually happening with the course, and don't worry you don't have to learn Python to advanced level!

People in my class did the 20 hour NEA and had only written 20 lines of code. Remember half the job is the writeup, so don't just focus on the code.Python is a relatively easy programming language compared to others out there, you should be able to pick it up easily by watching a couple YouTube videos or reading a book. 3 months is plenty in my opinion.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.