Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am just wondering if anyone could tell me the minimum number of subjects your school forces you to take in S6. My school used to allow S6 pupils a lot of freedom and they were allowed to take any 3-5 subjects and have the other periods free however this year they have decided following an HMI inspection to change the policy to everyone must take 5 subjects or 4 if they are doing 3 advanced highers. This, to me, seems like a very high work load, something I don't feel I could cope with and their argument is that this happens in all other schools. I find this hard to believe so I'm just wondering if this is true. Thanks x
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by rachel/b)
    Hi, I am just wondering if anyone could tell me the minimum number of subjects your school forces you to take in S6. My school used to allow S6 pupils a lot of freedom and they were allowed to take any 3-5 subjects and have the other periods free however this year they have decided following an HMI inspection to change the policy to everyone must take 5 subjects or 4 if they are doing 3 advanced highers. This, to me, seems like a very high work load, something I don't feel I could cope with and their argument is that this happens in all other schools. I find this hard to believe so I'm just wondering if this is true. Thanks x
    This varies a lot between schools, and there isn't a rule that schools are meant to follow. Everyone doing 5 subjects in S6 certainly isn't what happens in all other schools- from people I know in various parts of Scotland, I'd suggest it a minority of schools that have this as a policy.
    My school has the rule of at least 4 subjects, unless you are doing 3 AHs, in which case you can just do the 3. Some people do end up getting away with doing 3, by starting with 4 and then dropping one before UCAS gets submitted, or by just being a bit sneaky. To have to do 5 in S6 (alongside all of the other things you're expected to be involved in) is quite a lot to be obliged to do, though I can't say I necessarily blame them with the pressures schools can be under these days. I would say it is important to remember that there is more to school and success than academic achievement- it is this that I think would make your school most likely to budge on this policy if that's what you're looking to achieve. If you want to do fewer and they won't budge on their decision, I'd suggest trying to ask to be able to do volunteering/work experience instead of a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labrador99)
    This varies a lot between schools, and there isn't a rule that schools are meant to follow. Everyone doing 5 subjects in S6 certainly isn't what happens in all other schools- from people I know in various parts of Scotland, I'd suggest it a minority of schools that have this as a policy.
    My school has the rule of at least 4 subjects, unless you are doing 3 AHs, in which case you can just do the 3. Some people do end up getting away with doing 3, by starting with 4 and then dropping one before UCAS gets submitted, or by just being a bit sneaky. To have to do 5 in S6 (alongside all of the other things you're expected to be involved in) is quite a lot to be obliged to do, though I can't say I necessarily blame them with the pressures schools can be under these days. I would say it is important to remember that there is more to school and success than academic achievement- it is this that I think would make your school most likely to budge on this policy if that's what you're looking to achieve. If you want to do fewer and they won't budge on their decision, I'd suggest trying to ask to be able to do volunteering/work experience instead of a subject.
    Okay thank you, I’m certainly going to query this policy and I’ll definitely say about doing volunteering to show I don’t just want a skive!!

ReputationRep:
    my school is going to be changing to the 33 period week but tbh I think its a joke that those doing 3 advanced highers are being made to take another subject onto to add up to the 23 minimum period count we need to have. tbh i thought 6th year was going to be fun n enjoyable but instead I'm contemplating if its even worth staying on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmzMurraayxx)
    my school is going to be changing to the 33 period week but tbh I think its a joke that those doing 3 advanced highers are being made to take another subject onto to add up to the 23 minimum period count we need to have. tbh i thought 6th year was going to be fun n enjoyable but instead I'm contemplating if its even worth staying on
    I’m feeling the same way as you and funnily enough I was actually thinking about going to uni at the end of this year (S5) but my teachers discouraged it and so I eventually decided just to stay. I didn’t know about the changes to our timetable until after the UCAS deadline passed and now I can’t apply 😕

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel/b)
    Next year i'm only doing two advanced highers and another higher. My school set a minimum of 24 periods to be filled in on our timetables and discouraged us from filling in all 30 periods

ReputationRep:
    We has to have 3 AH's or 2 and 2, which is what I did.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glammow)
    Next year i'm only doing two advanced highers and another higher. My school set a minimum of 24 periods to be filled in on our timetables and discouraged us from filling in all 30 periods
    Yeah I would be happy to do that too but unfortunately I’m not allowed to 🙁

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    We has to have 3 AH's or 2 and 2, which is what I did.
    That makes sense, unfortunately they won’t let me do 2AHs & 2Hs which I’m gutted about.

ReputationRep:
    My school doesnt allow you to do any more than 3 subjects if any of your choices are advanced higher and only allows you to do 4 if you’re not doing any advanced highers. So to me this seems like too much work whereas my school doesn’t allow enough work for some pupils 😂

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.