Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Myself and a friend on mine are working on a bit of a project to make it easier for people to find used cars deals. The aim is maybe to build a database so new buyers can search against it to find the best deals.

Before we go through that process though we are looking to help a few people who are looking to buy a new car. So that we can learn about the journey different buyers take.

If anyone has a specific car and criteria in mind i can go ahead and try find the best price for that straight away. Otherwise ill be happy to help you search/narrow it down.

Would love to help and all I ask is that you just provide us with feedback and maybe some of your thoughts on what we might end up building.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Auto_Bot)
    Myself and a friend on mine are working on a bit of a project to make it easier for people to find used cars deals. The aim is maybe to build a database so new buyers can search against it to find the best deals.

Before we go through that process though we are looking to help a few people who are looking to buy a new car. So that we can learn about the journey different buyers take.

If anyone has a specific car and criteria in mind i can go ahead and try find the best price for that straight away. Otherwise ill be happy to help you search/narrow it down.

Would love to help and all I ask is that you just provide us with feedback and maybe some of your thoughts on what we might end up building.
    How is that different to what the autotrader site does?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

So... you're building Carwow?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Yeaaaaaa, I think AutoTrader, eBay and even Shpock beat you there.

ReputationRep:
    Gumtree you find a car in less than a minute. Mate spent 3 weeks on Autotrader, he only needed 10 minutes on Gumtree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    How is that different to what the autotrader site does?
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Yeaaaaaa, I think AutoTrader, eBay and even Shpock beat you there.
    Thanks all for your replies and valid questions. Essentially what we will be doing is scrapping/extracting as many car classified as possible. This will allow us to build up a database at least three times the size of Autotrader which then means that we will have greater visibility of the market and we can pass that information onto used car buyers. Another big part of what we want to do is make the process of getting hold of a used car a lot easier. I'm currently trying to sell a car (Mini Cooper S, discreet plug ) and am finding the process a little frustrating.

Further to this, sometimes new buyers want some guidance on what car to buy/what there options are with their criteria (TSR 'New Car Threads' are a good example of that). So we want to find out if/how we can help making that experience a bit better.

(Original post by IWMTom)
    So... you're building Carwow?
    Correct me if I am wrong but CarWow is mainly for buying new cars? We are trying to focus on the used car market.

(Original post by nevershear)
    Gumtree you find a car in less than a minute. Mate spent 3 weeks on Autotrader, he only needed 10 minutes on Gumtree.
    I think this is actually a GREAT point. Autotrader has almost become the go to place but the there are a lot of other sites offering up great deals. Gumtree tends to have good prices as it has a lot of private sellers but this is a market where 57% of sales still go through trade sellers. Which is crazy because the seller and the buyer lose out so that the dealers can make profit. So we are trying to change that dynamic a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but trade dealers do have a place in this market, if you're constantly working and don't have the time to entertain timewasters at your house or on the phone, it's better to just take the hit and sell it to a dealer, you're going to take a hit anyway if you want a fast sale; that's what makes them so useful. If you want to view several cars in one day, you go to Trade - especially if you're covering a distance to view a specific car you might found out it isn't what you really wanted, but then you have an alternative. That's why similarly, being an estate agent in the UK is great business, because Landlords just let the agents run their properties for them (although occasionally into the ground, coming from an ex property manager lmao).

But yeah the point is, I don't really think there is a gap in this market right now.

ReputationRep:
    Trade also offers significant security, both in the purchasing, and in the quality of the car on offer.

And autotrader have a significant jump in this. They're the most well known of all of them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Correct me if I am wrong but CarWow is mainly for buying new cars? We are trying to focus on the used car market.
    True, but I'd say other people have got you beat on this concept I'm afraid.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.