The Student Room Group

Maths

Im a current year 12 student who is studying Maths, Physics and Graphic Communication at a level.

I just wanted advice from people who have sat the course and/or studying it now.

I seem to be only be getting C's in in my tests at school averaging about 58% in my maths papers. I just wanted to know how everybody is getting higher grades like As . As in, what sort of revision are people doing to achieve these higher grades.

My main approach at the moment is to work through the textbook at to do questions from there but this doesn't seem to be helping at the minute! If anyone has any advice on how to and . how long people revise for that would great as im aiming for an A with A-level Maths.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Hi,

I sat my Maths A level a few years ago now.
I really struggled with A2 rather than AS as I had a foundation from studying a Free-Standing Maths Qualification in Yr11 (a rough AS level equivalent).

When in A2 I found that attending revision sessions a couple of times a week was really beneficial as the teachers were there to help one to one. To these revision sessions I took exam papers and worked through them, answering the questions then looking at the mark scheme to see where I had got/lost marks.
Over time I learnt from my mistakes and became familiar with working out how to answer questions.
I went from hardly understanding anything in February to achieving an A in my exams 😊

Using textbooks is a good start to learn how to solve different topics. Once you think you’ve understood a section, try answering a few exam questions on it and see how you go. Then look at the markscheme to see how you can pick up anymore marks. If you’re still struggling, ask your teacher for some help - make the most of them!

Keep at it, you’ve definitely got the mindset to study well and you’re doing well to have started revision this early!!

Best of luck 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest