Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Partial differentiation stationary points watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If you found that for a coordinate (x,y), the nature of the stationary point is inconclusive (i.e. D=0 from the test D = f_{xx} \cdot f_{yy}-(f_{xy})^{2}, what alternative methods can I use to determine the nature of the stationary point?

Any contribution is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Is that kinda university maths? I don’t wanna give you an Alevel Maths method because you probably know it!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mosa99)
    Is that kinda university maths? I don’t wanna give you an Alevel Maths method because you probably know it!
    Yh, this is partial differentiation lol

ReputationRep:
    I can’t help then! 😅😅
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManLike007)
    Hi

If you found that for a coordinate (x,y), the nature of the stationary point is inconclusive (i.e. D=0 from the test D = f_{xx} \cdot f_{yy}-(f_{xy})^{2}, what alternative methods can I use to determine the nature of the stationary point?

It depends how full an answer you want. Full information is always contained in the local Taylor expansion. That D=0 (loosely) means the nature of the stationary point is not wholly characterised by the quadratic/degree two part of the expansion.

But some cases such as

x^2 + y^4, -x^4-y^4, x^2 - y^4

can still (around (0,0)) be quickly seen to be a minimum, maximum, saddle, but then you can also get wholly new types of stationary point like

xy(x-y)

which is a "monkey saddle" (IIRC its name).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi

Depends on the functions. Sometimes it is quite obvious- like with f(x,y)=x^4+2(xy)^2-y^4-2x^2+3 we have D=0 at (0,0) but notice that

\begin{aligned} f(x,y)-f(0,0) & = x^4+2(xy)^2-y^4-2x^2 \\ & \leq x^4+2(xy)^2-y^4 - 2x^4 \\ & = -(x^2-y^2)^2 \\ & \leq 0 \end{aligned}

....hence f(x,y) \leq f(0,0) and so that point is a max.

Alternative, you can employ Taylor's expansion in 2-D around your crit point of interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    x
    Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify because I'm slightly baffled with your working out,

f(0,0)=3 so f(x,y)-f(0,0)=x^{4}+2(xy)^{2}-y^{4}-2x^{2} but

Second line: Why does +2(xy)^{2} and -2x^{2} become -2(xy)^{2} and -2x^{4} (respectively) ?.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks for your response.

Just to clarify because I'm slightly baffled with your working out,

f(0,0)=3 so f(x,y)-f(0,0)=x^{4}+2(xy)^{2}-y^{4}-2x^{2} but

Second line: Why does +2(xy)^{2} and -2x^{2} become -2(xy)^{2} and -2x^{4} (respectively) ?.
    Typo for the first one.

Note that in a small neighbourhood around (0,0) (on the xy plane) we have x^4 \leq x^2 therefore -2x^4 \geq -2x^2

Thus x^4 +2(xy)^2 - y^4 -2x^4 \geq x^4 +2(xy)^2 - y^4 - 2x^2

EDIT: By small neighbourhood I mean |x|,|y| \leq 1

ReputationRep:
    Note that in a small neighbourhood around (0,0) (on the xy plane) we have x^4 \leq x^2 therefore -2x^4 \geq -2x^2

Thus x^4 +2(xy)^2 - y^4 -2x^4 \geq x^4 +2(xy)^2 - y^4 - 2x^2
    It still hasn't clicked yet, the "x^4 \leq x^2" and "-2x^4 \geq -2x^2" puts me off, shouldn't the inequality sign be the other way round?

Also are you basically saying that for a stationary point (a,b), if f(x,y) \leq f(x,y) - f(a,b) then it's maximum point and vice verse for the minimum point?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It still hasn't clicked yet, the "x^4 \leq x^2" and "-2x^4 \geq -2x^2" puts me off, shouldn't the inequality sign be the other way round?

Also are you basically saying that for a stationary point (a,b), if f(x,y) \leq f(a,b) then it's maximum point and vice verse for the minimum point?
    You should know from A-Level that if x>y then multiplying through by -1 changes the inequality to -x<-y (or if STILL unconvinced, just subtract (x+y) from both sides to get -y>-x which is the same thing, different orientation).
    So, x^4 \leq x^2 \Rightarrow -x^4 \geq -x^2 \Rightarrow -2x^4 \geq -2x^2

Obviously, if f(x,y) \leq f(a,b) in the vicinity of (a,b) then it is a local maximum. If the inequality is true for ALL (x,y) \in D (D is your domain) then f(a,b) is your global max.
    Similarly, for min points with f(x,y) \geq f(a,b)

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, if f(x,y) \leq f(a,b) in the vicinity of (a,b) then it is a local maximum. If the inequality is true for ALL (x,y) \in D (D is your domain) then f(a,b) is your global max.
    Similarly, for min points with f(x,y) \geq f(a,b)
    I should've asked this in my previous post but why does the value of f(x,y)-f(a,b) determines the nature of the stationary point (like you showed in your first post)?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I should've asked this in my previous post but why does the value of f(x,y)-f(a,b) determines the nature of the stationary point (like you showed in your first post)?
    The value of that can be shown to be always either +ve or -ve in the vicinity of (a,b) so then then after getting \leq 0 (or \geq 0) you can just say f(x,y)-f(a,b) \leq 0 then add f(a,b) to both sides which tells you that f(a,b) is a max.

ReputationRep:
    The value of that can be shown to be always either +ve or -ve in the vicinity of (a,b) so then then after getting \leq 0 (or \geq 0) you can just say f(x,y)-f(a,b) \leq 0 then add f(a,b) to both sides which tells you that f(a,b) is a max.
    I see

What if f(a,b)=0, is this an inflexion point or a saddle or what?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I see

What if f(a,b)=0, is this an inflexion point or a saddle or what?
    The value of f(a,b) doesn't dictate what the nature of the point is.

As said, you need to use Taylor's expansion to determine whether a point is max/min/saddle/etc for a point that fails the second derivative test.

ReputationRep:
    The value of f(a,b) doesn't dictate what the nature of the point is.
    I'm very sorry, I can't tell if you've answered my question or not

As in going back to what you said,

What if f(a,b) =0? In this case it's neither maximum or minimum so what now?

I'm awfully sorry for these string of questions!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What if f(a,b) =0? In this case it's neither maximum or minimum so what now?

I'm awfully sorry for these string of questions!
    I'm saying that you cannot draw a conclusion like that from merely saying that f(a,b) = 0. Don't assume the method I posted in post 6 applies to all functions!

Going back to that example, I can redefine f(x,y) = x^4+2(xy)^2-y^4-2x^2 which still has a crit point at (0,0,0) (so f(0,0)=0) and D=0 and going through the same procedure shows that it is a max point - so f(a,b)=0 doesn't imply anything about the nature of the point (a,b,0) if it's a crit point!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.