Turn on thread page Beta

When will people mentally GROW UP!!! watch

I have a group chat with some of my primary school group friends who I haven't seen in a while, neither have they seen each other. We all wanted to arrange to meet up, so I invited them round my house today. Everyone saw the invite, but nobody replied.
    I eventually messaged one girl directly and she said she'd come. I said 'can you ask the others if they are coming then' and she said 'I don't mind'. So I kept asking the others because I needed to tell my parents who was coming and at what time.
    Fast foward a few hours, 5 people have said they'd come and then dropped out because they 'don't know if they're free'. Then everyone else sort of ignored me when I asked again. I'm furious - why can't anyone give me a straight answer?! I was forced to organise EVERYTHING and tried my hardest to get us all together, but none of them can be bothered. Will they still be like this in 20 year's time? Why is hardly anyone reliable anymore?!

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I completely understand what you mean. Trying to organise something as simple as going out to dinner with my friends is a nightmare. 6 of us altogether, 1 has the group chat muted (who knows why), the other takes a while to understand things, and the others just say "I'm free whenever" but then when I suggest a day they're like "oh no I have XYZ on that day". In the end I just tell them this is the time and the place, come if you're free, don't if you're not because it's so much easier. Surprise surprise, everyone is free when they seemingly don't have a choice.

If a situation like yours happens to me (which it has) when I see everyone has read it but not replied after say 24 hours, I send another message saying something like "you guys forgot to hit the send button on your reply when you read the message". I'm petty, but it's bloody rude to ignore and mess people about like that. I hate messing people around and I'm not afraid to be petty or rude to people who do it without good reason. Sure, something unexpected may come up and you have to cancel suddenly, but there's not really another good excuse for not giving an answer.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I completely understand what you mean. Trying to organise something as simple as going out to dinner with my friends is a nightmare. 6 of us altogether, 1 has the group chat muted (who knows why), the other takes a while to understand things, and the others just say "I'm free whenever" but then when I suggest a day they're like "oh no I have XYZ on that day". In the end I just tell them this is the time and the place, come if you're free, don't if you're not because it's so much easier. Surprise surprise, everyone is free when they seemingly don't have a choice.

If a situation like yours happens to me (which it has) when I see everyone has read it but not replied after say 24 hours, I send another message saying something like "you guys forgot to hit the send button on your reply when you read the message". I'm petty, but it's bloody rude to ignore and mess people about like that. I hate messing people around and I'm not afraid to be petty or rude to people who do it without good reason. Sure, something unexpected may come up and you have to cancel suddenly, but there's not really another good excuse for not giving an answer.
    This is so true, I've just cancelled the one girl coming round and she was like 'why' and I said 'cause you aren't really acting like you care'
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is so true, I've just cancelled the one girl coming round and she was like 'why' and I said 'cause you aren't really acting like you care'
    Exactly, at some point you just have to go f*ck it, if no-one else can be bothered why should I be. Then a few weeks later everyone complains that they haven't seen each other in ages, which is when I pettily pipe up and say "I tried getting us together earlier but nobody wanted to". That normally stops the complaints.

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Exactly, at some point you just have to go f*ck it, if no-one else can be bothered why should I be. Then a few weeks later everyone complains that they haven't seen each other in ages, which is when I pettily pipe up and say "I tried getting us together earlier but nobody wanted to". That normally stops the complaints.
    Exactly, good thinking

ReputationRep:
    Just don’t bother putting in the effort if other people won’t bother themselves. Life goes on OP.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.