Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I currently want to study law and I'm in year 10, but at my school we don't have a debating club / society as we're a state school.
    I was thinking of setting one up as it will help me develop my confidence as well as others. Is there anything I must do to startup or information like that
    Has anyone ever set up a debate club or any tips for someone who would like to set up a debate club.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a teacher that might know or help? Maybe your English teacher? Send a message out to the pupils saying where and when the first meeting is (make sure that you have a room booked) a have a list of things that you could debate and then take it from there
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Omg do it! There's been a club at my school for years but I've been running it since I was in Year 12 (I'm in Year 13 now and still going). Definitely get your English department on board and depending on how much time you think you'd be able to get for the club - e.g. 30 minutes at a lunchtime - you can plan how to run it.
    AH YES YES YES debating is great!

ReputationRep:
    Consider debate mate. They bring in university students that teach you to debate. You then go to regional competitions, if you're able to win you can end up going to parliament. It's one of the best moments from my secondary school and I assure you that you will not regret it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potato456)
    Is there a teacher that might know or help? Maybe your English teacher? Send a message out to the pupils saying where and when the first meeting is (make sure that you have a room booked) a have a list of things that you could debate and then take it from there
    Hi, thanks for the reply, I am going to contact a teacher on Monday who happens to be a librarian I was thinking to host the debate club in the library after school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boodledoodle123)
    Omg do it! There's been a club at my school for years but I've been running it since I was in Year 12 (I'm in Year 13 now and still going). Definitely get your English department on board and depending on how much time you think you'd be able to get for the club - e.g. 30 minutes at a lunchtime - you can plan how to run it.
    AH YES YES YES debating is great!

Hi,
    Thanks so much for the reply, it's really motivating I was thinking to contact my school librarian as thats where I wanted to host the event after school for an hour, do i need any equipment and is there a structure each debating session takes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE Student 18)
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for the reply, it's really motivating I was thinking to contact my school librarian as thats where I wanted to host the event after school for an hour, do i need any equipment and is there a structure each debating session takes.
    That sounds great! There's no right or wrong way to do it I'm sure but I think what I'll do is tell you how I do it and then hopefully it'll help?
    I run the thing but I have an English teacher who ensures that the Lecture Theatre is booked for me every Friday lunchtime for 30 minutes. I run the club for the Lower School but it goes from Yea 7-10. The way I structure my club is like this: two speakers for each side, one speaker for the motion speaks for 2 minutes, then one speaker against the motion speaks, then the other person for, and finally the other person against. Then the floor is opened up for questions. I try and ensure everyone with their hand up gets to ask their question. Once that's over, I give the speakers a minute or two to finalise their conclusions (only one speaker from each side will say it) whilst the floor and I talk about motions for next week. The way I do it is that I don't explicitly set the motions, the students do, and I take a quick show of hands to see how popular each motion is before picking one and choosing speakers. Then we go back to the motion and the conclusions are said and a vote is taken and boom there we go! Since I've been taking notes the whole time I give each speaker feedback and then general points to everyone. I sometimes have a packet of biscuits with me to give them and then off they go. I then go away and make a poster and I send it to the English teacher who prints it off in bulk and distributes to each form group. I think that's it?
    Any questions please ask! I love running this club
    NB: I'm aware that this way of debating isn't like the one used in competitions whatnot but that won't stop you from being able to enter into competitions. Personally I do it this way because of time pressure/it's easier/I don't want to stress them out too much! It's not like netball or whatever where you can show up with kit and play. The speakers do have to go away and prepare a speech and do research.

Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.