Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Economics at a decent uni is a good deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Certainly not a bad idea at all. Strathclyde is great for engineering and computer science. Furthermore, the IT industry has no care in the world where you get your degree from; its all about how much work experience you get. So make sure you get internships whilst at Strathclyde.
    Yeah I got an offer for Software Engineering at Strathclyde (which is identical to their CS course but with a year in industry). Good to know I'm not shooting myself in the foot if I choose to go in that direction Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDieMstr)
    Engineering. Just leave UK and go Dubai or somewhere in middle east, easy money.
    very true I have a family member who works in Saudi Arabia from uk and they throw money at you he earns well into £ 6 figures

ReputationRep:
    Engineering. Just leave UK and go Dubai or somewhere in middle east, easy money.
    and compete against grads from India and the philippines able to work for $10,000 a year ?

ReputationRep:
    For that question, it is probably medicine/dentistry. It's a "safe, decent salary". But it won't give you top-end investment banking/city law/consultancy level salaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidian)
    It's mostly doom and gloom on this site and people say the market is oversaturated even for STEM, so I'm wondering which degrees people are actually positive about?

I guess I'll put my hat in the ring and say Medicine. If you manage to get on a medical course and don't drop out, you're practically guaranteed success.
    It's dentistry, easily.

Medicine also isn't "quick"; what are you boyos smoking.

Also, Chem Eng
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    very true I have a family member who works in Saudi Arabia from uk and they throw money at you he earns well into £ 6 figures
    Well...now might move to Saudi when I finish my engineering degree :rofl:

Btw I have some Saudi friends and they say uni there is much easier. So an engineer from the UK would be better prepared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Well...now might move to Saudi when I finish my engineering degree :rofl:

Btw I have some Saudi friends and they say uni there is much easier. So an engineer from the UK would be better prepared.
    oh and he teaches there at a college level but it ain’t easy working there it’s a ****ed up culture and country money is good but it doesn’t mean he likes the job
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    oh and he teaches there at a college level but it ain’t easy working there it’s a ****ed up culture and country money is good but it doesn’t mean he likes the job
    Yeah I can imagine man. They are kind of strange culture wise. But I imagine they probably say the same about us haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    and compete against grads from India and the philippines able to work for $10,000 a year ?
    these grads from India and Philippines don't have qualifications from UK, now do they? So who will get the job now?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    these grads from India and Philippines don't have qualifications from UK, now do they? So who will get the job now?
    they have universities in those countries as well ? You think buildings and oil pipelines exist in those countries ?
    Not to mention the many foreigners who actually go to college in Dubai and therefore have more relevant qualifications
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    For that question, it is probably medicine/dentistry. It's a "safe, decent salary". But it won't give you top-end investment banking/city law/consultancy level salaries.
    It would, if the medic undergrad abandoned medicine and went through the ringer of applying to one of those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The way you do it is get a job for a British company and then get posted out there after you've proved you aren't an idiot. Philippinos and Indians are typically badly treated guest workers doing manual work on construction sites.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    The way you do it is get a job for a British company and then get posted out there after you've proved you aren't an idiot. Philippinos and Indians are typically badly treated guest workers doing manual work on construction sites.
    this is accurate.. except the genuinely in demand Indians and Phillipino engineers will be on the same wage bracket as everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighFructose)
    Also depends on university IMO, some of the (lower-tier) university courses don't even have maths modules.
    Furthermore, if you can't code, you would be useless even with a 2:1.
    You don't necessarily need to have a deep understanding of maths to be a good programmer though. Sure, it can help, but on a day to day basis you won't use it that much in most programming jobs.

I would say where you do a degree isn't so much important, but I would say the placement year in a Computer Science degree is crucial.*

* I suppose it is important to go the uni with the best placements, so it may be slightly important.

ReputationRep:
    they have universities in those countries as well ? You think buildings and oil pipelines exist in those countries ?
    Not to mention the many foreigners who actually go to college in Dubai and therefore have more relevant qualifications
    .....relevant qualifications lol

First of all, the "quality" of the qualifications differs between UK and the countries you've stated. Why do you think thousands of Asians (especially Chinese) come to UK or US to study in Uni? I mean they could just attend at a Uni in their own country but why would such large number of students want to study in UK or US?

Long story short...UK/US qualifications>> India/ Philippines qualifications.

As for relevancy, that is just utter bs. You think someone who has received their Uni degree/qualifications from UK or US would be less able compared to those graduating from Saudi/India/Phill?

Let me ask you this, are you basing your claims with backed sources or just *think* whatever you say must be correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidian)
    It's mostly doom and gloom on this site and people say the market is oversaturated even for STEM, so I'm wondering which degrees people are actually positive about?

I guess I'll put my hat in the ring and say Medicine. If you manage to get on a medical course and don't drop out, you're practically guaranteed success.
    Maths, Engineering & Physics grads will never be out of work (unless they want to be)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sceptical_John)
    Maths, Engineering & Physics grads will never be out of work (unless they want to be)
    Tell me how graduates of those subjects are guaranteed (good) jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sceptical_John)
    No
    For one, a 2:2 degree destroys employment prospects; a significant minority of those grades will have that and below.

Secondly, physics is identical to chemistry for grad prospects, and while it's higher than all humanities (bar economics), it's not great.

Also Eng is saturated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Tell me how graduates of those subjects are guaranteed (good) jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Guarantee & good may be stronger words than I'd use but I think there's some evidence out there.

Take teaching for example. Look how hard the government finds it to recruit physics & maths teachers. Only getting about 70% of what they need each year. Now, teaching may not necessarily be an example of a good & well-paid job but it shows how in demand those grads are. That they will give then £26k just to train!

(Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    No
    For one, a 2:2 degree destroys employment prospects; a significant minority of those grades will have that and below.

Secondly, physics is identical to chemistry for grad prospects, and while it's higher than all humanities (bar economics), it's not great.

Also Eng is saturated.
    I am kind of assuming our OP gets at least 2:1 if they want a well-paid job! TBH I've been out of the engineering loop for a few years. It was certainly in demand when I worked in telecoms we had to hire many from overseas! but that was 5-6 years ago.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.