Turn on thread page Beta

Which degrees are most likely to guarantee quick, well-paid employment? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    People usually build up some experience here in the UK then apply for/get headhunted for/transfer to jobs overseas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in the same situation as OP. I don't know what degree to do..

ReputationRep:
    Medicine and dentistry will guarantee you a job as long as you pass. Well-paid too. Apart from those two, I think there's always a chance that you'll be unemployed.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mansnothot)
    I'm in the same situation as OP. I don't know what degree to do..
    That decision is entirely up to you and what you want to study.

There are vocational degrees that lead to specific careers like medicine, architecture, dentistry, nursing, engineering etc and the associated careers.

There are degrees that lead to general careers open to everyone (including those with the aforementioned vocational degrees) or research/academia/teaching. Aka, every academic degree out there and 70% of grad jobs.

There are degrees that lead to careers that have a preference for those with any quantitative degree (some engineering falls in here i.e. if you're doing maths/physics then head into engineering via a masters) the likes of analytics, quantitative/exotic derivatives trading and research, software eng, actuarial etc where you'll find mathmos, CS, natsci, eng type degree holders.

Essentially, just choose what you'll enjoy studying the most because there are all sorts of doors towards a good career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    People usually build up some experience here in the UK then apply for/get headhunted for/transfer to jobs overseas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you think its possible for a brit to work in silicon valley? Would a masters in CS from oxford/cambridge help?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Do you think its possible for a brit to work in silicon valley? Would a masters in CS from oxford/cambridge help?
    yes, provided you either:
    - get a job at an SV company here then transfer on an L-1 visa
    - blow a lot of money on a US postgrad then recruit whilst over there and make use of the work visa you get as an international student in the US (OPT) and the exclusive H1-B pool for people with US masters and above

Either way the most difficult part is getting a job offer from a top tech company.. Not easy in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    yes, provided you either:
    - get a job at an SV company here then transfer on an L-1 visa
    - blow a lot of money on a US postgrad then recruit whilst over there and make use of the work visa you get as an international student in the US (OPT) and the exclusive H1-B pool for people with US masters and above

Either way the most difficult part is getting a job offer from a top tech company.. Not easy in the slightest.
    Yeah its hard getting into a top tech company. Although quite a few people at my university got internships at google/microsoft/bloomberg/amazon etc.
    Their interviews are brutal. I had an interview at bloomberg, it was all going great until he asked me the technical questions and I blanked out.

Once you get into a big 4 tech company. How easy is it to transfer to their US office? Also once you're there, how hard is it to get permanent residence?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its hard getting into a top tech company. Although quite a few people at my university got internships at google/microsoft/bloomberg/amazon etc.
    Their interviews are brutal. I had an interview at bloomberg, it was all going great until he asked me the technical questions and I blanked out.

Once you get into a big 4 tech company. How easy is it to transfer to their US office? Also once you're there, how hard is it to get permanent residence?
    Which university do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan77642)
    Which university do you go to?
    University of Edinburgh. Though its worth noting that most of the people who succeed at getting big 4 internships are 3rd and 4th years. The 2nd years always get rejected, idk why. Even a guy who runs a huge society, owns a business and has good grades got rejected from Google STEP.

ReputationRep:
    University of Edinburgh. Though its worth noting that most of the people who succeed at getting big 4 internships are 3rd and 4th years. The 2nd years always get rejected, idk why. Even a guy who runs a huge society, owns a business and has good grades got rejected from Google STEP.
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    Cool. Thanks for the info.
    Also, make sure that by the time you get to your penultimate year that you have lots and lots of things you can put on your CV. If you want a big 4 internships consider making some web or mobile apps. Learn advanced algorithms and data structures to pass their gruelling interviews. Palantir are the worst, I've heard stories about people having 8-10 in person interviews for a b-loody internship. Lmao.
    Keep your people/communication skills sharp because you'll also get HR interviews. Make sure you have lots to say in interviews. My biggest mistake was having nothing to say because I focused too much on my studies and not that much on projects/business work/extracurriculars.

Just my 2 cents.

ReputationRep:
    Also, make sure that by the time you get to your penultimate year that you have lots and lots of things you can put on your CV. If you want a big 4 internships consider making some web or mobile apps. Learn advanced algorithms and data structures to pass their gruelling interviews. Palantir are the worst, I've heard stories about people having 8-10 in person interviews for a b-loody internship. Lmao.
    Keep your people/communication skills sharp because you'll also get HR interviews. Make sure you have lots to say in interviews. My biggest mistake was having nothing to say because I focused too much on my studies and not that much on projects/business work/extracurriculars.

Just my 2 cents.
    Appreciate the advice, thanks. I am currently in year 13, trying to achieve my offer to study maths at Warwick. So the type of role I am looking for in a tech company is primarly one that is based on data and quantitative analysis. I am not sure how good the career services at warwick are for maths, therefore I guess I have to work harder than if I had gotten into Oxford.
    I will make sure to follow your advice .

ReputationRep:
    Appreciate the advice, thanks. I am currently in year 13, trying to achieve my offer to study maths at Warwick. So the type of role I am looking for in a tech company is primarly one that is based on data and quantitative analysis. I am not sure how good the career services at warwick are for maths, therefore I guess I have to work harder than if I had gotten into Oxford.
    I will make sure to follow your advice .
    I disagree about the oxford thing. Even doing the maths tripos at Cambridge wouldn't be enough. You'll need a PhD in a maths-related subject. Some people say you don't need a PhD for quantitative analysis but you have to remember that most quants did PhD and they'll always think 'I did a PhD. Why should I hire someone who didn't do his?'

Get a 1st at Warwick, some internships and some research assistant work and you won't have a problem getting into a good PhD programme.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Fair, I'm guessing you're at Edinburgh/Imperial/Oxbridge?

Pretty easy to do after a year or so if you request it. The L-1 is dual intent so you can start the process for a green card pretty swiftly, green card can take anywhere from 3-6 years to get approved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English lol (jokes, I know I will be unemployed...)

ReputationRep:
    Fair, I'm guessing you're at Edinburgh/Imperial/Oxbridge?

Pretty easy to do after a year or so if you request it. The L-1 is dual intent so you can start the process for a green card pretty swiftly, green card can take anywhere from 3-6 years to get approved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Edinburgh. Though I'm thinking about doing a masters at oxford to boost my chances.

How long does the green card process take? I've heard that it can take upto 15 years and you have to stay with the same company until its completed. Idk if I'd be happy about working for one company for that long haha.

ReputationRep:
    Artificial intellegience would be a good bet.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by littledino1011)
    English lol (jokes, I know I will be unemployed...)
    There are English graduates making £30k in general management grad schemes, £50k in the sales part of s&t at an investment bank, £40k on corporate law firm training contracts, £20-25k working in advertising.. It's really down to you whether you become the meme or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobby147)
    Artificial intellegience would be a good bet.
    It depends. You could do a BSc in Artificial Intelligence but you generally need a PhD in maths or statistics to work in machine learning and data science. Rule based AI? No one uses that anymore. Big companies only care about ML
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Edinburgh. Though I'm thinking about doing a masters at oxford to boost my chances.

How long does the green card process take? I've heard that it can take upto 15 years and you have to stay with the same company until its completed. Idk if I'd be happy about working for one company for that long haha.
    Tbh, I don't think an Oxford masters will add much but it won't hurt either.

More than 6 years is pretty rare from what I've heard.. L-1 is annoying since you have to stick to the same employer, at least with H-1Bs you can hop around.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I don't think an Oxford masters will add much but it won't hurt either.

More than 6 years is pretty rare from what I've heard.. L-1 is annoying since you have to stick to the same employer, at least with H-1Bs you can hop around.
    I see. I thought they would see an oxford degree in the same light as someone with a stanford degree. I wish I had the $$$ to do a masters in the US.

Is the process different to get a H-1B than an L-1B?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.