Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    So I am starting my degree in September and it is Web Design at Huddersfield uni. Any recommendations on software and hardware to buy for working at home. Thank you

    I don't know what the actual content is of that course, but if it's just general web development, then any kind of hardware should be fine really. The hardware would only be important if you need to do some more performance-intensive things, such as graphics rendering, video editing, etc.

    So just for web editing itself, any kind of computer will do - a Mac or a PC are both fine. Anything which is able to run basic office software will be more than enough for editing webpages. Just make sure you've installed at least one or two browsers on it - most importantly, get Google Chrome, because it's one of the most popular and widely used browsers.

    For webpage editing, you really don't need any paid software - just press the F12 button in your browser and you've already got some of the most important tools you need for "live" tinkering with the HTML, CSS and JavaScript on a webpage. The HTML Inspector and element selector which you'll find in all popular browsers is a very useful tool.

    You can use any text editor for your HTML, CSS and JavaScript files, although if you're looking for something which is a little bit more developer-friendly, you could try Visual Studio Code (VSCode) https://code.visualstudio.com/ which is free (and isn't restricted just to Windows). it's got a lot of useful extensions for the various languages and tools frequently used with web development (the kinds of tools which take away some of the burden of needing to remember exact syntax, pop-up "intellisense" to help you avoid typos, shortcuts/snippets, etc. ) - Those kinds of extra tools are a useful aid to have which you'd not usually get in a plain text editor.

    If there's any paid software which you really need for particular modules (e.g. Adobe PhotoShop is popular for any graphics design or image editing), then I'd suggest waiting until you've started your course, in case you can get a discounted (or even free) student licence through the university.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2018

University open days

  1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.