Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help, is it possible for me to train for both sprint and distance running? watch

ReputationRep:
    Im in my 30's female and have trained with athletics for years on and off but never trained properly to be honest I just enjoy it plus it keeps me fit and in shape. Id like to train properly say 5 times a week but for years Ive kept swapping goals as i cant make my mind up what to actually train for! Im not brilliant at any type of running if im honest, maybe cause im inly 5ft but as i said just enjoy it. I enjoy sprinting and building muscle. I feel good when i fee fast and strong.

So its sprinting which i enjoy and im best at (im powerful but no good at endurance) but theres a bit of a problem with training for sprinting. Firstly very few adults seem to compete in 100 and 200m sprinting at amateur level, theres the odd meet twice a year thats it. The sprint training groups consist of children. No one my age at my club or surrounding clubs train at sprinting. When I do enter competitions i tend to be the oldest one there and come last, so theres no competition for me at my level or age.

Therefore I was thinking of just training for 5k instead as millions of adults train for this distance. People say im not built for distance though, ive more power/speed than stamina and when i start training for distance i miss the speed training. I thought about training for both sprinting and 5k but its completely different training and I dont know if i could improve at both silmutaneously. I Just wanted advice. Ive been switching from sprint to distance training for years i just need a clear goal and to stick to it.

From what ive learnt (could be wrong)

It is possible to be both a sprinter and a distance runner if you want to have fun.
    Sprinting exclusively needs anaerobic training of the “fast-twitch” muscles; true distance running mainly needss aerobic training of “slow-twitch” muscles. If you insist on training both in one microcycle, you could be good at the 800m if you have the right plan.

ReputationRep:
    You could be good up to a point at amateur level you could become very good at both but at elite level sprint and distance training won't combine well one requires speed/power the other requires stamina so training for both means time is wasted on excelling at either event. I think you could do both as long as your goal is at amateur/club level but maybe someone could confirm this..

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.