Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m planning on taking A Level Maths, Psychology and Law, and I’m just wondering whether or not these subjects will be “looked down” on and what uni degrees r open for me? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can do almost any degree with those combinations: Maths, Engineering, Psychology, Law.. (excluding medicine, etc.) It all depends on what YOU want to study. A good rule of thumb would be to take atleast 1-2 facilitating subjects (look that up!) and you definitely meet that criteria!

ReputationRep:
    Law and Psychology can be seen as 'softer' humanities but Maths is really well considered and if you get good grades then you'll be fine. You could get into Psychology (non-biological), Law (you'll have a head-start since the A-level is not necessary but will still have to take the Lnat for many unis), or anything maths-based. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
    You can do almost any degree with those combinations: Maths, Engineering, Psychology, Law.. (excluding medicine, etc.) It all depends on what YOU want to study. A good rule of thumb would be to take atleast 1-2 facilitating subjects (look that up!) and you definitely meet that criteria!
    But with engineering you need physics tho.. also I know maths is a facilitating subject but I don’t think psychology or law is... what should I do?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berrydo)
    But with engineering you need physics tho.. also I know maths is a facilitating subject but I don’t think psychology or law is... what should I do?
    NOPE! Not all Engineering courses/unis require Physics. Yes, those two are not facilitating subjects. As I previously mentioned, what do you want to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
    NOPE! Not all Engineering courses/unis require Physics. Yes, those two are not facilitating subjects. As I previously mentioned, what do you want to study at uni?
    I’m not sure what I want to study at uni... that’s the problem ://
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Psychology is a science, which is an extra bonus.

Those A-Levels are fine.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I’m planning on taking A Level Maths, Psychology and Law, and I’m just wondering whether or not these subjects will be “looked down” on and what uni degrees r open for me? Thanks!
    If those are the 3 subjects you enjoy and can do well at then they are perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    If those are the 3 subjects you enjoy and can do well at then they are perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I’m good at maths but I’m not sjre about psychology or law because I’ve never done them before.. ://
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I’m good at maths but I’m not sjre about psychology or law because I’ve never done them before.. ://
    Ok, so presumably you are doing GCSEs at the moment and are trying to finalise your A-level subject choices?

What are you 3 most favourite subjects at the moment for GCSE?

Why do you think you'd like to do Law and/or Psychology for A-level?

ReputationRep:
    After contacting a few unis i realised that you only need 2 facilitating subjects as mentioned prior. Definitely look into physics as if you enjoy maths, you will more than likely enjoy physics too

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that if those are the three A levels that interest you most (and you've done significant research), then go for it!

Note that engineering pretty much requires physics. Psychology is generally fine if you're doing maths and psychology. That's perfect for law and most humanities subjects!

But yeah, unless you're really considering engineering/architecture (which often require physics), they look great! I don't think they'll be looked down, sound very respectable to me (and anyway what other people think is unimportant - only what you and unis think!)

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so presumably you are doing GCSEs at the moment and are trying to finalise your A-level subject choices?

What are you 3 most favourite subjects at the moment for GCSE?

Why do you think you'd like to do Law and/or Psychology for A-level?
    I want to do psychology because I honestly find it rly interesting (ik it sounds rly typical lol) but we face humans everyday, it’s great to actually think and understand why they think that way. Also, I think law is very real life and that not only am I learning and taking a good qualification but also I can use this knowledge and skill in real life.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I want to do psychology because I honestly find it rly interesting (ik it sounds rly typical lol) but we face humans everyday, it’s great to actually think and understand why they think that way. Also, I think law is very real life and that not only am I learning and taking a good qualification but also I can use this knowledge and skill in real life.
    That's all good then

ReputationRep:
    That's all good then
    So do u think I’ll be looked down on :///

ReputationRep:
    So do u think I’ll be looked down on :///
    What are your favorite subjects at GCSE? Also have you got any plans for the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    What are your favorite subjects at GCSE? Also have you got any plans for the future?
    I don’t rly have any favourite subjects... but if I were to choose probably physics and art and possibly maths... I don’t rly know what I want to be... maybe a lawyer?

ReputationRep:
    I don’t rly have any favourite subjects... but if I were to choose probably physics and art and possibly maths... I don’t rly know what I want to be... maybe a lawyer?
    You don't need Psychology and Law to be a lawyer, what about taking Maths,Physics,Art?

History and English Lit are really respected for Law, but people have got into law with just maths/science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe change law for something else but it's your shot to do what you want. REMEMBER there is nothing stopping you from doing law in your spare time by doing further reading etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    You don't need Psychology and Law to be a lawyer, what about taking Maths,Physics,Art?

History and English Lit are really respected for Law, but people have got into law with just maths/science subjects.
    I was originally thinking about taking those subjects, but I’m more interested in psychology and law

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.