Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions/Advice on this Group Work issue? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm studying film production. Recently in my group I was removed from my role as screenwriter because a new guy came into the group and demanded that he be the only writer with no collaboration. I was pretty upset and tried to stand up for myself but to no avail.

So fast forward a week, the guy sends us his first draft and it's awful. As someone who studies and reads about screenwriting in my spare time, I'm offended by it. I sent him my feedback but I feel like he is too stubborn/arrogant to put in the necessary work to make the script good. SO, I wrote my own first draft and I want to send it to my group and for them to see what I can do. However, I don't want to be seen as sneaky/backstabbing/undermining him.

Please please please could I have opinions on what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    If you feel it is truly awful you probably should send your one to the group or insist he makes changes! He is the new guy after all in your group. Good luck, I would love to study film production
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlestudent)
    If you feel it is truly awful you probably should send your one to the group or insist he makes changes! He is the new guy after all in your group. Good luck, I would love to study film production
    Thanks for your advice! x

ReputationRep:
    How long until your groupwork is assessed? Learning to collaborate is essential in film production work: it's all about the team.

ReputationRep:
    You can email the lecturer and ask them if the screenplay is supposed to be written as a group or by an individual, and then mention that someone in your group has decided to write it completely on their own.
    Someone in one of my classes must have complained about someone withholding data from the rest of the group once and the lecturer sent out an email to all of us saying that everyone must have a role in the project and people who are being uncooperative will be contacted by him etc.

So if you send your lecturer an email, they might do something similar and send out an email to the whole class, and that should get the message across to the new guy.
    If not, then I would suggest you just suck it up and tell him the truth, that you don't think it's particularly good (but pick out the parts that are poor and criticise them from an academic perspective e.g "this wasn't part of the criteria" or "this section doesn't make sense" so it doesn't look like you're being rude). Then suggest that maybe each person in the group writes one section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    You can email the lecturer and ask them if the screenplay is supposed to be written as a group or by an individual, and then mention that someone in your group has decided to write it completely on their own.
    Someone in one of my classes must have complained about someone withholding data from the rest of the group once and the lecturer sent out an email to all of us saying that everyone must have a role in the project and people who are being uncooperative will be contacted by him etc.

So if you send your lecturer an email, they might do something similar and send out an email to the whole class, and that should get the message across to the new guy.
    If not, then I would suggest you just suck it up and tell him the truth, that you don't think it's particularly good (but pick out the parts that are poor and criticise them from an academic perspective e.g "this wasn't part of the criteria" or "this section doesn't make sense" so it doesn't look like you're being rude). Then suggest that maybe each person in the group writes one section?
    I will email him, thanks so much for your reply

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.