Edexcel English Language Assessment Objective 2 Help

Watch
username3691874
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
For AO2, in my revision workbook, it states: 'Explain, comment on and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers, using relevant subject terminology to support their views.' However, I don't know enough' subject terminology' for these kinds of exam-style questions, so can someone be kind enough to give me some correct terminologies for the language or structural features that I can use?
SmilingWombat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This video might help https://youtu.be/uPRC_vTzQjs

They want you to identify some language features being used (explained in the video above), and comment on what effect this has on the reader. I would structure my answer by using PEE paragraphs (point, evidence, explain). First identify what language features is being used (point), for example: "the writer uses repetition", then quote an example of this feature from the text (evidence), your quote must be exactly word for word and inside quotation marks. Then go on to explain what effect this has on the reader (explain), for example: using repetition in this way helps the reader to remember the information more easily because it is being repeated and it also emphasises the importance of this statement.
username3691874
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
e
(Original post by SmilingWombat)
This video might help https://youtu.be/uPRC_vTzQjs

They want you to identify some language features being used (explained in the video above), and comment on what effect this has on the reader. I would structure my answer by using PEE paragraphs (point, evidence, explain). First identify what language features is being used (point), for example: "the writer uses repetition", then quote an example of this feature from the text (evidence), your quote must be exactly word for word and inside quotation marks. Then go on to explain what effect this has on the reader (explain), for example: using repetition in this way helps the reader to remember the information more easily because it is being repeated and it also emphasises the importance of this statement.
Thank you for your reply! I was told by my former English teacher that Edexcel expects students to first identify, analyse then evaluate(instead of using the old reading ladder: identify, explain, explore, analyse and finally evaluate(which must be pretty much the same to using PEE).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads