Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel English Language Assessment Objective 2 Help watch

ReputationRep:
    For AO2, in my revision workbook, it states: 'Explain, comment on and analyse how writers use language and structure to achieve effects and influence readers, using relevant subject terminology to support their views.' However, I don't know enough' subject terminology' for these kinds of exam-style questions, so can someone be kind enough to give me some correct terminologies for the language or structural features that I can use?

ReputationRep:
    This video might help https://youtu.be/uPRC_vTzQjs

They want you to identify some language features being used (explained in the video above), and comment on what effect this has on the reader. I would structure my answer by using PEE paragraphs (point, evidence, explain). First identify what language features is being used (point), for example: "the writer uses repetition", then quote an example of this feature from the text (evidence), your quote must be exactly word for word and inside quotation marks. Then go on to explain what effect this has on the reader (explain), for example: using repetition in this way helps the reader to remember the information more easily because it is being repeated and it also emphasises the importance of this statement.

ReputationRep:
    e
    (Original post by SmilingWombat)
    This video might help https://youtu.be/uPRC_vTzQjs

They want you to identify some language features being used (explained in the video above), and comment on what effect this has on the reader. I would structure my answer by using PEE paragraphs (point, evidence, explain). First identify what language features is being used (point), for example: "the writer uses repetition", then quote an example of this feature from the text (evidence), your quote must be exactly word for word and inside quotation marks. Then go on to explain what effect this has on the reader (explain), for example: using repetition in this way helps the reader to remember the information more easily because it is being repeated and it also emphasises the importance of this statement.
    Thank you for your reply! I was told by my former English teacher that Edexcel expects students to first identify, analyse then evaluate(instead of using the old reading ladder: identify, explain, explore, analyse and finally evaluate(which must be pretty much the same to using PEE).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.