general studies and critical thinking subjects

Watch
This discussion is closed.
natixx6
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What are general studies and critical thinking subjects. Can someone give examples?
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by natixx6)
What are general studies and critical thinking subjects. Can someone give examples?
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/gener...ec-at-a-glance

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...ing-h052-h452/

Generally not accepted as an A level by most unis.
Hogendaizer
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
is psychology a general study subject for a level???
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hogendaizer)
is psychology a general study subject for a level???
No it isn't.

General Studies is actually called General Studies (sorry if that sounds sarcastic, I don't mean it to be )
Hogendaizer
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Oh ok thanks for the info. really cleared up the confusion I had
(Original post by harrysbar)
No it isn't.

General Studies is actually called General Studies (sorry if that sounds sarcastic, I don't mean it to be )
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hogendaizer)
Oh ok thanks for the info. really cleared up the confusion I had
That's ok - you don't need to worry about Psychology A level as all Unis will accept it
ntascha_a
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
is sociology one?
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ntascha_a)
is sociology one?
No lol. General Studies is just one subject which is called General Studies. There is no "a general studies subject". It is just one subject called general studies.
ntascha_a
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
ohh lol. thanks haha
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
No lol. General Studies is just one subject which is called General Studies. There is no "a general studies subject". It is just one subject called general studies.
Emre.G
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
what about critical thinking subjects
returnmigrant
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Some schools like you taking these 'extra' subjects on top on 3 A level subjects because they think it makes it look like you are doing 'more A levels'. A very few low level Unis might give you UCAS points for these 'pretend' subjects but otherwise they are a total waste of time. Sensible Unis don't accept them, and unless you feel you have tons of spare time to waste, there is absolutely no point in doing them. They don't give you 'study skills' or 'breadth' or whatever other cobblers your teachers tell you.

Don't waste your time. Go for a run around the school grounds instead, this will at least benefit your health.
Compost
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Emre.G)
what about critical thinking subjects
Critical Thinking is an A level subject that has been phased out and is no longer available.
Compost
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Some schools like you taking these 'extra' subjects on top on 3 A level subjects because they think it makes it look like you are doing 'more A levels'. A very few low level Unis might give you UCAS points for these 'pretend' subjects but otherwise they are a total waste of time. Sensible Unis don't accept them, and unless you feel you have tons of spare time to waste, there is absolutely no point in doing them. They don't give you 'study skills' or 'breadth' or whatever other cobblers your teachers tell you.

Don't waste your time. Go for a run around the school grounds instead, this will at least benefit your health.
This is an old thread asking about A level subjects (i.e. General Studies and Critical Thinking) that have been withdrawn and are no longer available. There is no point commenting on this thread.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (60)
32.09%
Yes - a trusted person (50)
26.74%
No (52)
27.81%
I'm not sure (25)
13.37%

Watched Threads