The Student Room Group

When will be a good time to volunteer?

I'm a first year at uni studying forensic psychology and I really want to get some experience either in this field, or just general office experience (I find it satisfying doing admin work). However I'm not sure now is a good time to start looking.

Not only do I have deadlines and exams coming up in spring, I'm also going to be moving back home at the end of May when this year of uni is over, then I'll be going on holiday for 6 weeks, and not returning to uni until September. I've been looking for placements etc. but most seem to want a large amount of hours per week and at times I would be at home or revising.

I should mention I already have a job doing 4-8 hours a week. I'm worried that volunteering will cause me to lose track of my assignments etc. Also, when I'm back from my holiday at the end of July, I will be working all throughout August and start of September because that's my company's busy time so I won't be able to do volunteering then and I need the money more than I need experience.

I'm just worried that there will never be a good time to get experience. It isn't totally essential I gain this experience right this year, so I'm just looking for advice on how to handle juggling my uni work, my job plus possibly volunteering. If I volunteered I would need no more than 8 hours a week to make sure I'm still prioritising my assignments etc.

I started out filling a form for one volunteering company, and then they had a list of induction events taking place and said to pick one, however they all take place on a Wednesday and I never know when I'm working more than 1-2 weeks in advance, and that may or may not be a Wednesday so I can't book to go to an induction as I don't know my shifts. That's also my issue - the rota at work is not completed until the week before (even though it should be 2-3 weeks in advance), so I will never know my availability as I find out my schedule so late.

Anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do? Also I hope I'm not sounding like I just want to volunteer for the experience considering I'm saying all these things about timings etc, I really want to develop skills for a psychologist and working with offenders, however it's important to make sure it doesn't interfere with my studies which are my main priority.
Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm a first year at uni studying forensic psychology and I really want to get some experience either in this field, or just general office experience (I find it satisfying doing admin work). However I'm not sure now is a good time to start looking.

Not only do I have deadlines and exams coming up in spring, I'm also going to be moving back home at the end of May when this year of uni is over, then I'll be going on holiday for 6 weeks, and not returning to uni until September. I've been looking for placements etc. but most seem to want a large amount of hours per week and at times I would be at home or revising.

I should mention I already have a job doing 4-8 hours a week. I'm worried that volunteering will cause me to lose track of my assignments etc. Also, when I'm back from my holiday at the end of July, I will be working all throughout August and start of September because that's my company's busy time so I won't be able to do volunteering then and I need the money more than I need experience.

I'm just worried that there will never be a good time to get experience. It isn't totally essential I gain this experience right this year, so I'm just looking for advice on how to handle juggling my uni work, my job plus possibly volunteering. If I volunteered I would need no more than 8 hours a week to make sure I'm still prioritising my assignments etc.

I started out filling a form for one volunteering company, and then they had a list of induction events taking place and said to pick one, however they all take place on a Wednesday and I never know when I'm working more than 1-2 weeks in advance, and that may or may not be a Wednesday so I can't book to go to an induction as I don't know my shifts. That's also my issue - the rota at work is not completed until the week before (even though it should be 2-3 weeks in advance), so I will never know my availability as I find out my schedule so late.

Anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do? Also I hope I'm not sounding like I just want to volunteer for the experience considering I'm saying all these things about timings etc, I really want to develop skills for a psychologist and working with offenders, however it's important to make sure it doesn't interfere with my studies which are my main priority.

Well as they say, there is no time like the present.
It is better to be prepared for the working world especially after you have graduated before it's too late.
Volunteer and any forms of practical experiences will prepare you for the working world. :yes:

Furthermore, as you may know - the graduate job market is extremely fierce, albeit competitive out there! :sadnod:
Therefore, it is best to see what your options are right now.

I don't know much about your field (and same to other fellow users on here), so I would strongly suggest that you make some (well actually a lot!) of research about how to approach the companies/businesses who may be able to offer you some advice on how to kickstart your career in the field. :smile:

Also you say you would like to gain some office experience.
Saying from personal and professional experience, I highly suggest and recommend that you should approach charities and possibly some temp agencies. I did a combination of both and it got me to my ideal job! :woo:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BritishGirl
It is better to be prepared for the working world especially after you have graduated before it's too late.
Volunteer and any forms of practical experiences will prepare you for the working world. :yes:

Furthermore, as you may know - the graduate job market is extremely fierce, albeit competitive out there! :sadnod:

I suggest you make some (well actually a lot!) of research about how to approach the companies/businesses who may be able to offer you some advice on how to kickstart your career in the field. :smile:

Saying from personal and professional experience, I highly suggest and recommend that you should approach charities and possibly some temp agencies. I did a combination of both and it got me to my ideal job! :woo:

You're a star.
Reply 3
I’m wanting to do forensic psychology too and since I daydream waaaay too much, I’ve thought about this too! Have you looked into volunteering in prisons or with young offenders? Or psych wards at hospitals? I can’t say anything for sure but that’s what I’ve planned into my 7 year future ideal scenario daydreams!
Original post by BritishGirl

I don't know much about your field (and same to other fellow users on here), so I would strongly suggest that you make some (well actually a lot!) of research about how to approach the companies/businesses who may be able to offer you some advice on how to kickstart your career in the field. :smile:

I agree.
I'm looking to go into forensic psychology as well and I'm volunteering with a scheme called Trailblazers. You basically meet with an offender once a week for an hour and just talk to them, like a mentor/mentee relationship, you don't need any prior experience either as it's based on personality and the type of person you are more than anything. The only problem with volunteering in a prison is that the security process takes so long but if you're prepared to wait and there's a prison in your area that hosts Trailblazers, it's well worth it.

trailblazersmentoring.org.uk
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending