Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m in my third year and I’ve been unsuccessful at getting into a graduate scheme and thinking of getting an entry level job.

I’ve gotten internships in the past two summers in financial services and I work as a part time economics research assistant. What advice can you give me and when should I start applying if I graduate in July and want to start working soon after.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that sounds good. Two internships and a part time job

Are you being invited to AC's? If not, you could be failing at the CV/online test hurdle. Go to your uni careers service whilst you still have it.
    If you are getting to AC's, then request feedback from your assessors.

I tend to do well and not so well in some AC's so my advice is start applying to jobs that don't require such a long process. e,g local firms and local multinationals, you'd surprised to know the majority of graduate jobs are in this "hidden" SME sector. And it is so much quicker to apply, send a generic cover letter, generic CV and you will be invited to an interview, no tests, no video, no AC's, nothing!

Also, you are in your third year, DO NOT wait till next year to start applying. I can't believe the amount of times I was the only undergrad in an AC. Start applying ASAP and don't give up. Applications are still open and it is likely now at this stage some earlier graduates will be reneging on their offers, so you still have a good chance.

Last bit of advice, financial services is huge (but can be quite depressing). There is literally so much to do and most graduate schemes don't even need a specific degree. Be receptive to different types of jobs accounting, IT, Data, Intelligence etc. and you may end up somewhere better than where you imagined.

ReputationRep:
    I did an AC with PwC but didn’t get through and I’m waiting on responses from Deloitte, HSBC and a couple others after online interviews but theyve probably had their AC’s by now
    I applied early and have more than 15 rejections which is really starting to get unnerving.
    Thanks for the tips

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.