Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Engineering is a possible path that I wish to pursue in the future, however it seems to be a very competitive field. I am writing this to inquire about any advice or recommendations of extracurricular activities that I could take part in for me to do to stand out from the crowd, show the universities my passion for the subject and develop the necessary skills for the work.

It doesn't necessarily need to be specifically engineering-related but around the STEM subjects. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Some background on me: I am currently in year 12 studying maths, further maths, physics and computer science. I am based around London so if any one has any relevant work experience opportunities then that would be superb.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tago13)
    Engineering is a possible path that I wish to pursue in the future, however it seems to be a very competitive field. I am writing this to inquire about any advice or recommendations of extracurricular activities that I could take part in for me to do to stand out from the crowd, show the universities my passion for the subject and develop the necessary skills for the work.

It doesn't necessarily need to be specifically engineering-related but around the STEM subjects. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Some background on me: I am currently in year 12 studying maths, further maths, physics and computer science. I am based around London so if any one has any relevant work experience opportunities then that would be superb.
    It's actually not that competitive to get onto an engineering degree provided you have the grades, and extra curriculars don't typically add much weight to your application either.

It might be useful to try and gain some sort of work experience, but this won't typically help much with admissions (it'd be more to let you see if engineering is a career that you'd be interested in) and it's quite rare to have any sort of work experience before even starting university. The best way to obtain such experience would probably be to contact companies local to you and ask if they can provide anything - at places I've worked at, there has been people who I would imagine were around your stage who were in for the week.

ReputationRep:
    Heathrow work experience!
    Try to get a scholarship at Cambridge Uni!
    City London Airport offers work experience
    Also Leonardo Work experience
    Imperial year 11 summer school
    Work experience at ROS Edinburgh (physics)
    Good luck! Are you in year 11?

ReputationRep:
    considered a degree apprenticeship instead?

a lot of candidates will have their own projects which they have conducted in their spare time. this is what a lot of employers look for (at least at apprenticeship level). your degree is only half of your path towards becoming an engineer; you also need soft skills which university does not teach hence the engineering industry is struggling to hire suitable people despite the fact that candidates are degree educated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2018

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.