Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Don't know if my dad is straight watch

Announcements

So one time I was using my dad's computer because mine was broken, but I didn't really want him to see my internet history or be able to log into any of my things so I went to go and delete the internet history. As I was selecting the websites to get rid of I noticed he had been searching for 'glasgow gay saunas'. He would sometimes go away for work and around that time he went to glasgow.
    Honestly scarred me because that's quite extreme.

My mum sometimes jokes with us that my dad acts gay because he can be quite particular about things and he's not super alpha. He does go to the gym but he also plays golf, used to love the theatre, tries to act all upper middle class and cultured, loves clothes shopping, loves abba and beyonce, wears concealer, he also does this posh phone/public speaking voice that sounds quite gay. I know I sound like I'm stereotyping a lot, but he's just not very macho, I always used to just put it down to being very middle class.

I should add both him and my mum are generally quite homophobic.

I never use his computer anymore so I don't know what's on there now, I'd be too scared to look. But it makes me wonder what he's actually doing when he goes away for work. He also went to an all boys boarding school so god knows what he's gotten up to. And whenever I now see him interacting with other men it makes me think does he like them?

My parents have been close to divorcing a few times, and I can't picture my mum with anyone new but I could almost imagine my dad with a boyfriend. I try not to think about it too much but when that 'gay sauna' thing pops into my head it messes me up.

Also I totally get being curious but it just makes me feel a bit uneasy as he's married.

ReputationRep:
    tbh how your dad gets his jollies is none of your business. he has clearly provided you with a comfortable life for which you should be grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he has AIDS? I am not trolling b/c if your mother and father are having sex it maybe something to factor in when considering if you are gonna tell her.

Does it matter? Nope.
    Is it any of your business? Nope.

He's a grown adult and your parent's relationship is private, you're just a byproduct and have no need to know the ins and outs of their business.

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    Maybe he has AIDS? I am not trolling b/c if your mother and father are having sex it maybe something to factor in when considering if you are gonna tell her.
    I would feel so awkward telling her, I don't think I could. Plus right now their relationship is already so rocky and I can't handle a divorce right now

ReputationRep:
    I dont know why people are saying it doesnt matter? Cause it sure as hell does.

Just dont bring it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I would feel so awkward telling her, I don't think I could. Plus right now their relationship is already so rocky and I can't handle a divorce right now
    Do you think he has actually visited gay saunas and had gay sex?

ReputationRep:
    It might not be any of his business if this was a stranger or a random friend, but this is his own dad. This will possibly come as a shock and make him rethink all his past memories of him as someone who is different to how he actually is.

It’s not homophobic for this to have an impact on a child, that’s why it’s different.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by karl pilkington)
    Do you think he has actually visited gay saunas and had gay sex?
    If he's googled it and knows about them then I'm thinking he might have given it a go. Don't really like the image of it though. It's weird to imagine him intimate with a man. He doesn't need to go away for work as much these days but he does often go out all day for "golf" and "hikes". Recently had a school reunion as well. What if these are all just covers for what he's actually getting up to?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hahahah

Sorry OP but I know a case like this too, I find the coincidence quite funny. Your dad is bisexual, you and your mum are his beard.

(Original post by The Night King)
    Hahahah

Sorry OP but I know a case like this too, I find the coincidence quite funny. Your dad is bisexual, you and your mum are his beard.
    Lol please tell me more

ReputationRep:
    When you said he liked ABBA and Beyonce it was basically gay confirmed from that moment on
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The role of children in their parents' sex lives should be the same as the other way around: not there at all.

You could also look at your own prejudices:

'glasgow gay saunas'... Honestly scarred me because that's quite extreme.

(Original post by unprinted)
    The role of children in their parents' sex lives should be the same as the other way around: not there at all.

You could also look at your own prejudices:
    I'm sexually curious as well and totally up for gay saunas. But I meant that it's quite an extreme image to imagine. Not just him searching 'glasgow gay bars' or 'glasgow gay lap dance'. It's him seeking sex
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Lol please tell me more
    First of all the glasgow gay sauna. This guy I know of actually own a gay sauna in glasgow lmao. Has your dad been to that place?:rofl: Met him at the gym, he’s a personal trainer( not my person trainer though). Think he was subtly trying to hit on me. He told me he has a wife and a kid, etc basically a lot of info about himself that I really didn’t care about. So I googled him and found out he owns a gay sauna lol.

First of all the glasgow gay sauna. This guy I know of actually own a gay sauna in glasgow lmao. Has your dad been to that place?:rofl: Met him at the gym, he’s a personal trainer( not my person trainer though). Think he was subtly trying to hit on me. He told me he has a wife and a kid, etc basically a lot of info about himself that I really didn’t care about. So I googled him and found out he owns a gay sauna lol.
    Fs he's probably shagged my dad. I'm guessing his family knows about him then? If he has a business associated with his name?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Fs he's probably shagged my dad. I'm guessing his family knows about him then? If he has a business associated with his name?
    Yeah I think his wife must know for sure. So I think your mum knows your dad is gay also. Like 100% knows. Well, bi actually, not gay. Otherwise you wouldn’t exist lol.

Yeah I think his wife must know for sure. So I think your mum knows your dad is gay also. Like 100% knows. Well, bi actually, not gay. Otherwise you wouldn’t exist lol.
    Yeah maybe. I don't know why she'd still be so openly homophobic though. I don't even think she fully understands gay people tbh, she had quite a sheltered upbringing. She also couldn't even tell that her blatantly gay hairdresser was gay. She thought he was flirting with her.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah maybe. I don't know why she'd still be so openly homophobic though. I don't even think she fully understands gay people tbh, she had quite a sheltered upbringing. She also couldn't even tell that her blatantly gay hairdresser was gay. She thought he was flirting with her.
    Honestly I don’t know what to say then man haha. Try not worry to much about your dad though. As long as it doesn’t affect you let him do his thing I guess. But I’d like to hope your mum knows because if she doesn’t then that’s kinda shite of him to pretend he’s straight.

ReputationRep:
    ask him if you can go with him to the gay sauna

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.