Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

No friends in uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I’m halfway through my first year of uni and I don’t have any friends at all. The uni I’m at has a few campuses, and the campus I’m on has courses mostly taken by boys, but my course is about 50/50 girls to boys.
    I’m really bad at sports and since those are the only societies here, I didn’t join any. In my seminars, each seminar group is different so I don’t see the same people in each one. I just find that nobody wants to talk, when I chat to people in lectures & seminars.
    I spend most of my free time on my own and it’s lonely.
    Any suggestions for making friends? Does it get easier in second year?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what I’m going through. I don’t know what to do either but I’m hoping it will get better. Sorry for not being too much help, I just wanted to let u know that you’re not the only one going through this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 01lucy)
    Hi,
    So I’m halfway through my first year of uni and I don’t have any friends at all. The uni I’m at has a few campuses, and the campus I’m on has courses mostly taken by boys, but my course is about 50/50 girls to boys.
    I’m really bad at sports and since those are the only societies here, I didn’t join any. In my seminars, each seminar group is different so I don’t see the same people in each one. I just find that nobody wants to talk, when I chat to people in lectures & seminars.
    Thanks
    I'm **** at sports, and the last time I did any physical exercise was in Y11... My last PE lesson... But it hasn't stopped me from making friends.

Are you sure the only societies there are sports related? Which uni is this? Sounds highly unusual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I'm **** at sports, and the last time I did any physical exercise was in Y11... My last PE lesson... But it hasn't stopped me from making friends.

Are you sure the only societies there are sports related? Which uni is this? Sounds highly unusual.
    There’s sports societies and societies for subjects, I’ve joined my subject one but they did an event during freshers and that’s it, nothing since :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzy98)
    This is exactly what I’m going through. I don’t know what to do either but I’m hoping it will get better. Sorry for not being too much help, I just wanted to let u know that you’re not the only one going through this.
    Thank you, I hope things get better for you too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There’s sports societies and societies for subjects, I’ve joined my subject one but they did an event during freshers and that’s it, nothing since :/
    Huh. That sounds a bit ****.

Are there any study groups that you could join instead then?

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I can relate to this. I go to a small rural uni, it gets really quiet on campus on weekends when everyone is away etc. My course mates all live off campus too, so I have very few people on campus that I actually know. My uni has a group that runs twice a week in the evening for people who don't really like going out drinking etc-is there anything like that at your uni? This group isn't a society on my campus, not many people actually know about it. My campus sounds literally the same, just sports societies and one for teaching which doesn't actually meet up. Could you set up a study group maybe? I am uncertain of what to suggest really. There are more people than you think who feel the same way. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thanks
    I'm the same at my uni I hate it

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.