Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will not having a Facebook hinder my freshers experience? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 161BMW)
    You will thank me if you get a first with that advice by not wasting your time on FB !
    i really do not need ur advice on that (and i will thank myself, for working hard whilst simultaneously having a facebook- because they are not at all related to eachother)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Yeah, cos Zuckerberg was still in his dad's nut sack when you went to uni.
    Zuckerberg was in beta

:toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I keep my account going mainly for uni these days. It makes communicating with your classmates so much easier, especially as you can simply look up a person by name. It's most peoples go-to for group work too.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have a mobile and give your number out to potential friends, they'll be able to contact you and invite you to stuff and you can invite them. Cuts out Facebook as the middle man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Zuckerberg was in beta

:toofunny:
    Alpha. The goods were still being "tested" in-house at that time, to salubrious consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Depends. Having Facebook makes it really useful to find info before you go there (e.g. which building to enrol, how to get to a particular room which aren't shown on the campus/building maps), as well as finding your housemates/course mates and getting to know them beforehand. Many make a large group chat with course mates to discuss any particular problem related to their course, and get any sort of info for assignments and such (which is very helpful).

If you got any other social media (such as Snapchat), then you should be fine tbh.
    (Original post by showaeski)
    Yes definitely get facebook for uni. It's useful for before uni so you can chat to other people, see who's in your flat and see what events there are. But it's most important for when you're actually at uni and you can all add each other and keep in touch and invite people to events. If someone's having a flat party they're probably not going to remember to invite you if you're not on their facebook. Events are mostly advertised on facebook as well, including socials and events at actual clubs so it's the best way to find out what nights out to go to. Your accommodation will also probably have a fb group or group chat where people will post things. It's a good way to stay in the loop and see what's going on.
    I personally don't even like facebook that much and I never post things, but if I didn't have it at uni I don't think my experience would have been as good. Definitely get it.
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Quite a few do this, or just never use it and go on it only to ask any course mates for info (especially during exams, which I get a lot of messages from people asking for help).

I only use FB nowadays to be in a group chat with friends, share notes, and cold message people from my uni who have done a particular internship or are working in a company I am interested in.
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys! The general consensus seems to be that it would only serve to be a help so I'll probably make one

ReputationRep:
    FB is a waste of time. Concentrate on your studies.
    Facebook saves time, unless you're the kind of lobotomised social-networking basket-case that can't look up from their phone for love, money, nor oncoming traffic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skittyjen)
    i really do not need ur advice on that (and i will thank myself, for working hard whilst simultaneously having a facebook- because they are not at all related to eachother)
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Facebook saves time, unless you're the kind of lobotomised social-networking basket-case that can't look up from their phone for love, money, nor oncoming traffic.
    Most social networking is a waste of time. The only real social skills that count are in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Most social networking is a waste of time. The only real social skills that count are in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook directly facilitates 'real-world' interaction by operating as an instantaneous, centralised node for co-ordinating social events. If you're a rudderless imbecile who doesn't know how to harness modern technology (including social media) as a labour-saving device rather than as a timesink, then the blame for that lies squarely with you.

ReputationRep:
    Lol maybe online forums aren't for you then

ReputationRep:
    Facebook directly facilitates 'real-world' interaction by operating as an instantaneous, centralised node for co-ordinating social events. If you're a rudderless imbecile who doesn't know how to harness modern technology (including social media) as a labour-saving device rather than as a timesink, then the blame for that lies squarely with you.
    Has you’re daily quota for insulting others been met yet, dear?

Also a gross invasion of privacy. We are told that put your profile on private and you’re golden but if people think that people who have the ability to have serious affect on your life can’t access it then they’re wrong.
    It’s been a long time since I was at school. Where are you in education? I have recently found out that there are schools taking fingerprints for students to pay to have school dinner and if their parents don’t consent (they can’t as they are underage) then they can only have packed lunch. That’s something else that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTLevers)
    As long as you have a mobile and give your number out to potential friends, they'll be able to contact you and invite you to stuff and you can invite them. Cuts out Facebook as the middle man.
    You know, in that scenario it'd be considerably more tempting to 'cut out' the one snowflake within your (rapidly expanding) social circle who insists upon special treatment for arbitrary, self-aggrandising reasons.

ReputationRep:
    YOU NEED FACEBOOK.

Like people will start meeting up in freshers, if u dont have fb you will be left out.
    Most uni events and all socials happen through facebook.
    Just make one, its the best time as it fills up so quickly at uni.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt rely on fb, if you want to find groups most people use whatsapp these days. you could have fb but just don't update like what most people seem to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You know, in that scenario it'd be considerably more tempting to 'cut out' the one snowflake within your (rapidly expanding) social circle who insists upon special treatment for arbitrary, self-aggrandising reasons.
    That's not a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    Lol not having FB doesn’t make u an imbecile.

Not everyone wants to be on social media. People can get on just as well without it. Just a bit of advice if you want to do better at your studies. If OP wants to be on social media then up to them.

People that give it large on forums such as yourself are usually very different in the real world when it comes to saying something in person to that person ;-)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.