Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain each of the following methods? for AQA combined science 9-1

1)paper chromatography
    2)filtration
    3)crystallisation
    4)distillation(simple and fractional distillation)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that would be a big answer to write.

Lets start with...
    What do the notes you took / were given in class say?
    Or your textbook?
    And your teacher, when you approached the to say you didn't understand this whole topic?

ReputationRep:
    actually, im two years behind in school because i was living abroad so ive basically missed everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloesky2018)
    can someone explain each of the following methods? for AQA combined science 9-1

1)paper chromatography
    2)filtration
    3)crystallisation
    4)distillation(simple and fractional distillation)
    1) Paper Chromatography:
    -Draw a line near the bottom of the sheet in pencil because it is insoluble
    -Add a spot of ink to the line and place the sheet in a beaker of solvent
    -Make sure the ink doesn’t touch the solvent
    -Place a lid on top of he container to stop the solvent evaporating
    -The solvent begins to seep up the paper
    -When the solvent has nearly reached the top of the paper take it out

2)Filtration
    -Set up a beaker with some filter paper on it in the shape of a cone
    -Place your mixture in the filter paper and add water
    -The smaller substance from the mixture will deep through the tiny holes in the filter paper separating the mixture

3)Crystallisation
    -Pour the solvent into an evaporating dish and gently heat the solution
    -Once some of the solvent has evaporated, remove the dish from the heat and leave the solution to cool
    -The salt should start to from crystals as it becomes insoluble in the cold, highly concentrated solution
    -Filter the crystals out of the solution and leave them in a warm place to dry

4)Distillation
    -Heat the solution, the part of the solution with the lowest boiling point will evaporate first
    -This vapour then cools and condenses returning back to liquid before it is collected. The rest of the solution is left behind in the flask

4)Fractional Distillation
    -Put your mixture in a flask and stick a fractioning column on top. Then heat it
    -The different liquids will have different boiling points so will evaporate at different temperatures
    The liquid with the lowest boiling point evaporated first. When the temperature on the thermometer matches the boiling point of this liquid it will reach the top of the column
    -When the first liquid has been collected, you raise the temperature until the next one reaches the top.

An example would be separating crude oil

It was my pleasure writing this out and a rep would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much😭😭😭😊😊😊

ReputationRep:
    Then ask some more focused questions.

Do you have textbooks for the 2 years you missed? If not, that could be a wise start

ReputationRep:
    i do have textbooks but its hard to understand the praticals when you havent done them, and the school said i have to self-study everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y11_Maths)
    1) Paper Chromatography:
    -Draw a line near the bottom of the sheet in pencil because it is insoluble
    -Add a spot of ink to the line and place the sheet in a beaker of solvent
    -Make sure the ink doesn’t touch the solvent
    -Place a lid on top of he container to stop the solvent evaporating
    -The solvent begins to seep up the paper
    -When the solvent has nearly reached the top of the paper take it out

2)Filtration
    -Set up a beaker with some filter paper on it in the shape of a cone
    -Place your mixture in the filter paper and add water
    -The smaller substance from the mixture will deep through the tiny holes in the filter paper separating the mixture

3)Crystallisation
    -Pour the solvent into an evaporating dish and gently heat the solution
    -Once some of the solvent has evaporated, remove the dish from the heat and leave the solution to cool
    -The salt should start to from crystals as it becomes insoluble in the cold, highly concentrated solution
    -Filter the crystals out of the solution and leave them in a warm place to dry

4)Distillation
    -Heat the solution, the part of the solution with the lowest boiling point will evaporate first
    -This vapour then cools and condenses returning back to liquid before it is collected. The rest of the solution is left behind in the flask

4)Fractional Distillation
    -Put your mixture in a flask and stick a fractioning column on top. Then heat it
    -The different liquids will have different boiling points so will evaporate at different temperatures
    The liquid with the lowest boiling point evaporated first. When the temperature on the thermometer matches the boiling point of this liquid it will reach the top of the column
    -When the first liquid has been collected, you raise the temperature until the next one reaches the top.

An example would be separating crude oil

It was my pleasure writing this out and a rep would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻
    By the way, you could have found all that (easily) by using Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    By the way, you could have found all that (easily) by using Google.
    I was going to tell her that but thought I’ll write it myself so I will remember if for my exams instead 🙂

ReputationRep:
    i do have textbooks but its hard to understand the praticals when you havent done them, and the school said i have to self-study everything
    What? They won't let their chemistry teachers answer questions if you approach them?
    What kind of school are they??

ReputationRep:
    🤷🏻*♀️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    What? They won't let their chemistry teachers answer questions if you approach them?
    What kind of school are they??
    It’s ok, that’s what we are here for!

ReputationRep:
    have any idea how you investigate specific heat capacity?😊for gcse?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chloesky2018;76046954]have any idea how you investigate specific heat capacity?😊for

The specific heat capacity of a substance is the amount of heat required to raise one gram of the substance by one degree Celsius. Water, for example, has a specific heat capacity of 4.18 . This means to heat one gram of water by one degree Celsius, it would require 4.18 joules of energy

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Y11_Maths;76046938]It’s ok, that’s what we are here for![/QUOTE

Maybe you are here to give answers to people too lazy to google for themselves and doing people's homework for them.
    I would prefer to spend my time on people who appear to have tried to answer for themselves.

Teach a person to fish vs giving a person a fish.

ReputationRep:
    have any idea how you investigate specific heat capacity?😊for gcse?
    Google calorimeter or youtube it.
    When you have more specific questions bases on what you find, come back and ask those question.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.