Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    https://youtu.be/FiHVKEElU4w
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hannah00)
    plenty of money, hitting 100k is very doable over your career, I know people making twice that as contractors or running GP surgeries where your basically a CEO.
    starts with a b
    For the responsibility I would argue 100k is not enough. Obviously I do know people who earn a lot in our profession, and I am biased (as a doctor). The highest registrar locum rates is £100/hour at the moment in some A&E departments, that can easily take your annual to >100k but no one is doing that's why they offer so much.

We also don't get enough breaks (shame about the e) if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HateOCR)
    An honest answer which you can relate to a personal experience.
    don't make it cliché tho! e.g 'I want to become a doctor because when I was 8 year old I had appendicitis, stayed in hospital for 3 days, and I really want to give back for what the doctors did for me'

ew that made me sick just writing that!hahahha

ReputationRep:
    I've a long way to go until medicine interviews but I'd say something about:
    - wanting to have the great responsibility of making patients recover. you might have someone rushed into the a&e with a serious life-threating condition and what you do in the hospital could make the difference between the patient going back to their family or passing away.
    - how human biology got you interested in something relevant such as anatomy, physiology, endocrinology.
    - (this point is quite personal) i grew up around grandparents who suffered from illnesses: my grandmother has diabetes and my granddad had alzheimers. the doctors always came around and helped them get better by prescribing medicine, offering hospital care and i would like to give something back by using my time to improve the lives of other elderly people who are going through the same thing

what i would not say (even if one of them is a motivating factor, which it probably is):
    - any reference to money
    - career stability
    - prestige

ReputationRep:
    The more honest your answer, the more likely the interviewers will believe you. Trust me, they can sniff a generic applicant from a mile away
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    For the responsibility I would argue 100k is not enough. Obviously I do know people who earn a lot in our profession, and I am biased (as a doctor). The highest registrar locum rates is £100/hour at the moment in some A&E departments, that can easily take your annual to >100k but no one is doing that's why they offer so much.

We also don't get enough breaks (shame about the e) if that's what you mean.
    fair enough, you could argue doctors are underpaid, but to me 100k is still alot of money. Especially if you live outside London and your job isnt at risk during recessions

haha no i dont mean breaks. If your a guy and studying medicine, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, you could argue doctors are underpaid, but to me 100k is still alot of money. Especially if you live outside London and your job isnt at risk during recessions

haha no i dont mean breaks. If your a guy and studying medicine, its like shooting fish in a barrel.
    I see his point. In the US neurosurgeons can be paid as high as $500,000 whereas in the UK a most realistic salary is probably £100,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    I see his point. In the US neurosurgeons can be paid as high as $500,000 whereas in the UK a most realistic salary is probably £100,000.
    maybe 20 years ago.Your also comparing MAX salaries in the US to average in the UK, so apples and oranges

I think its slightly misleading to compare salaries to the US, where they have a completely different system and lower levels of minimum wage and make money from carrying out pointless procedures enables them to pay a premium wage to senior members of staff.

Everyone thinks they are unpaid, but if you objectively look at the standard of living the job allows you to enjoy, you would be quite happy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Sure. It's all perspective and I understand your point completely. The fact is a new consultant (with no breaks in training, starting from med school when you enter at 18yo) at age 32 earns £76k. It is unlikely many other careers pay that much at that age. However you cannot believe how much responsibility there is, as a consultant you would have to be in charge of patients, and even a whole team of junior doctors. The pressure on your shoulders cannot be underestimated.

In addition I do a lot of teaching for GCSE / A-level students (interested in doing medicine), and when I explain this to them (mainly 14-16yo) their faces turn to disgust (as if to say "32 years old?! Ewww" ). So it's all perspective. They even think being called a doctor aged 23 years old is old.

Finally, I have been a doctor for a good few years and I certainly do not shoot fish in a barrel. Care to let me know what I'm doing wrong? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pab12344)
    Thank you guys
    I don't know if this is too long or not for an interview question

My initial thoughts on medicine were stimulated at a very young age, watching my neighbor battling cancer for 5 years or so. Having listened to her talking about the immense help of the entire healthcare professional especially the doctors, it made me want to pursue a career in which it will help me reward valuable to society by being at the frontier into protecting and helping save people’s lives making a positive impact as well as hopefully bringing a smile to relatives faces and patients. Furthermore, medicine is a very fascinating and active subject as the result of the constant new scientific discoveries. Therefore due to my interests in science and the human anatomy, which I developed by reading articles on BMJ, I can conclude that medicine is a greatly fulfilling subject in terms of my interests and a career path that I would be greatly dedicated into following.
    I'd avoid the whole "at a very young age" stuff. 5 year olds can't make realistic career decisions.

Also, what are you doing reading the BMJ?

A more common question in interviews now is "Why a doctor, not a nurse or other healthcare professional?"

I think the question genuinely needs you to think and be honest with yourself. There are loads of jobs where you help people and can engage with science.

There are lots of reasons to want to be a doctor aside from liking science and wanting to help people. It's a very broad field with hundreds of different career paths with opportunities for research and teaching alongside clinical work. You get to work with a diverse team of other professionals. It's a very hands-on, practical job.

ReputationRep:
    Sure. It's all perspective and I understand your point completely. The fact is a new consultant (with no breaks in training, starting from med school when you enter at 18yo) at age 32 earns £76k. It is unlikely many other careers pay that much at that age. However you cannot believe how much responsibility there is, as a consultant you would have to be in charge of patients, and even a whole team of junior doctors. The pressure on your shoulders cannot be underestimated.

In addition I do a lot of teaching for GCSE / A-level students (interested in doing medicine), and when I explain this to them (mainly 14-16yo) their faces turn to disgust (as if to say "32 years old?! Ewww" ). So it's all perspective. They even think being called a doctor aged 23 years old is old.

Finally, I have been a doctor for a good few years and I certainly do not shoot fish in a barrel. Care to let me know what I'm doing wrong? :rofl:
    So if we think of patients as customers, and junior doctors as employees, team managers at most places, even companies that recruit soley graduates, make 30-40k. Whilst I understand the pressure of managing the life and death of patients, is not quite the same as the pressure of angry barclays customers threatening to call the regulator and disinvest 100k because a document they requested doesn't exist, it is comparable.

haha, erm just casually mention your doctor to every girl you meet. Just slip it into the conversation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So if we think of patients as customers, and junior doctors as employees, team managers at most places, even companies that recruit soley graduates, make 30-40k. Whilst I understand the pressure of managing the life and death of patients, is not quite the same as the pressure of angry barclays customers threatening to call the regulator and disinvest 100k because a document they requested doesn't exist, it is comparable.
    Market forces means that this is not applicable. This country is haemorrhaging doctors to other countries willing to offer more in $$.

Remember what I said above about locums being paid a lot more? To locum (long term) doctors have to leave training and there will then be less consultants. Currently in my specialty (neurology) there are consultant posts vacant pretty much everywhere across the UK. How many years does it take to train a neurology consultant from scratch? 14 years from start of medical school.

haha, erm just casually mention your doctor to every girl you meet. Just slip it into the conversation.
    Erm I have tried that. I even tattooed "Doctor" on my forehead. Nothing works, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pab12344)
    Any ideas guys?
    If you can’t answer this question then I think you need to re-think what you want to do.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Market forces means that this is not applicable. This country is haemorrhaging doctors to other countries willing to offer more in $$.

Remember what I said above about locums being paid a lot more? To locum (long term) doctors have to leave training and there will then be less consultants. Currently in my specialty (neurology) there are consultant posts vacant pretty much everywhere across the UK. How many years does it take to train a neurology consultant from scratch? 14 years from start of medical school.

Erm I have tried that. I even tattooed "Doctor" on my forehead. Nothing works, trust me.
    Sure if the country is loosing Doctors, they should be paid more but I would still be happy with a 100k lol. I could live my dream lifestyle with that. So the Money and *****es thing still applies(even if I was quoting someone else) !

haha maybe they thought it was Doctor as in Doctor Dre ?
    With out knowing the full details of your circumstance I couldn't really comment, but being a doctor is huge advantage in the dating market

ReputationRep:
    With out knowing the full details of your circumstance I couldn't really comment, but being a doctor is huge advantage in the dating market
    How old are you? :ahee:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sure if the country is loosing Doctors, they should be paid more but I would still be happy with a 100k lol. I could live my dream lifestyle with that. So the Money and *****es thing still applies(even if I was quoting someone else) !

You wouldn't just be happy with 100k once you have done 14 years of training + have all our responsibilities, trust me

I have the stethoscope (+ ophthalmoscope + tendom hammer - being neuro)! Does Doctor Dre have a steth? What "full details" do you mean?! Again I know for a fact that many male doctors / medical students are single!

(Original post by Volibear)
    How old are you? :ahee:
    :rofl: I don't know about hannah00, but I am old (*but not that old)

ReputationRep:
    I have the stethoscope (+ ophthalmoscope + tendom hammer - being neuro)!
    Need to put this all in your tinder bio!

ReputationRep:
    Just don't say this:

Because my parents are making me.
    Because i will earn a lot (you wont actually make much btw)
    Because i want to help people (you can do this in every other way)

Good luck X
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BigAnt)
    Just don't say this:

Because my parents are making me.
    Because i will earn a lot (you wont actually make much btw)
    Because i want to help people (you can do this in every other way)

Good luck X
    You can actually earn a lot overseas... but yes please don't say the other 2. I will metaphorically grill anyone who says that if I was interviewing - with the old "Why not nursing" question!! :rofl: (see the other thread for answer)

(Original post by Volibear)
    Need to put this all in your tinder bio!
    Oi - where did the suggestion that yours truly is on tinder comes from?! Behave

ReputationRep:
    Oi - where did the suggestion that yours truly is on tinder comes from?! Behave
    :rofl: fair enough, I mean TSR is the next best thing!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2018

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.