Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was put forward by my (hopefully soon-to-be) PhD supervisor for funding, and following the funding interview I was told that I am the reserve candidate. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what sort of chance I have of securing the funding? Some of the other candidates I spoke to at the interview day had excellent academic histories/time in industry etc so I'm hoping the successful applicant was also attractive to other universities and decides to go elsewhere. I'm just feeling very disheartened currently and I can't really find much information regarding acceptance rates or anything, so any input will be appreciated to help ease this perpetual state of anxiety that has become my life
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ec2018)
    I was put forward by my (hopefully soon-to-be) PhD supervisor for funding, and following the funding interview I was told that I am the reserve candidate. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what sort of chance I have of securing the funding? Some of the other candidates I spoke to at the interview day had excellent academic histories/time in industry etc so I'm hoping the successful applicant was also attractive to other universities and decides to go elsewhere. I'm just feeling very disheartened currently and I can't really find much information regarding acceptance rates or anything, so any input will be appreciated to help ease this perpetual state of anxiety that has become my life
    No amount of numbers can predict whether someone changes their mind or not. You will have to wait to find out and keep applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    No amount of numbers can predict whether someone changes their mind or not. You will have to wait to find out and keep applying.
    A decent amount of numbers could, that's the beauty of statistics
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    And that’s probably a whole research project in itself and not one you can conduct on TSR. Yes I know a thing or two about statistics with a Phd and all that. But I also know that that’s not the way forward with your query. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    There aren't really any stats for this sort of thing.

Personally, to save any more anxiety, I'd treat it as a 'no' and maximize my opportunity to apply elsewhere.

You might get lucky; people with offers for funding tend to be good, and it's quite possible they'll have an offer somewhere else that they choose instead. I wouldn't count on it though, it will only prolong the worrying.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.