Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you go to sleep when you don't want to? watch

Announcements

Always struggled with my sleeping. Every night I know I should go to bed so that I can wake up early, but I just hate the moments when you have to turn off your laptop/put down your book and lie down and be with your own thoughts.
    Right now in particular I have a lot going on in my mind, a lot of uni related stuff I'm worrying about. Basically it's highly likely that I'm only going to come out with a 2:2.
    This has always been an issue though, even when I haven't had any big worries, I just don't like being in my own thoughts at bedtime.
    I end up just staying up til like 4/5am and then I can't wake up early.
    Back in the day if I couldn't sleep I would write down all my worries with solutions and it'd normally help me but recently when I've tried it hasn't helped.
    I can't really be tired out either, even if I've had a long day and been up early and not had much sleep. I will still stay up as long as I can.
    The only times I fall asleep with ease is when after a night out of drinking but obviously I can't do that every night.

I tried listening to podcasts but these stimulate me too much and keep me awake. Same with those apps that play relaxing sounds. I've tried exercising in the evenings. I have relaxing showers before bed. I've tried loads of lavender stuff. Years ago I used to take stuff for sleeping but even those didn't work.

Another reason why I don't like sleeping is because I have loads of really realistic vivid dreams every night. So I go to bed thinking 'ugh what dreams am I going to have tonight' It's kind of draining.

ReputationRep:
    I think what’s keeping you awake is simply that you’re worried. Whether it be about “uni related stuff” or vivid dreams you can’t shut off your brain at night because it’s too focused on potential things to be worried about.

The use of writing stuff down before you go to bed is typically to remind yourself of the task when you wake up, so in your case when you wrote stuff down in the past you probably felt more relieved because you included solutions. The solutions made you relax because (I’m assuming) they were all tasks that you could perform the next day/week to solve this problem and therefore your mind was at rest because it knew that you can easily solve them later.

However you’re awake at night because you are worried for your Uni marks, a problem that can’t be solved by performing a simple task, so writing this problem down won’t fix it.

I suggest you go to the root of the problem instead of trying fancy methods of getting to sleep, if you’re worried about Uni marks then you need to do enough revision to convince your mind that you don’t have to worry. This may be by general revision or going to the teacher about certain problem areas that you are stressed about, it just has to console you that you can get better marks (which you totally can if you really try)

Side note: if you aren’t worried anymore but still can’t get to sleep, try picturing you in your favourite movie or a mashup of some shows you like (it’s extremely cheesy but it’s something that you can think about for a long time so it’s great before bed)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Eleanorroseb)
    I think what’s keeping you awake is simply that you’re worried. Whether it be about “uni related stuff” or vivid dreams you can’t shut off your brain at night because it’s too focused on potential things to be worried about.

The use of writing stuff down before you go to bed is typically to remind yourself of the task when you wake up, so in your case when you wrote stuff down in the past you probably felt more relieved because you included solutions. The solutions made you relax because (I’m assuming) they were all tasks that you could perform the next day/week to solve this problem and therefore your mind was at rest because it knew that you can easily solve them later.

However you’re awake at night because you are worried for your Uni marks, a problem that can’t be solved by performing a simple task, so writing this problem down won’t fix it.

I suggest you go to the root of the problem instead of trying fancy methods of getting to sleep, if you’re worried about Uni marks then you need to do enough revision to convince your mind that you don’t have to worry. This may be by general revision or going to the teacher about certain problem areas that you are stressed about, it just has to console you that you can get better marks (which you totally can if you really try)

Side note: if you aren’t worried anymore but still can’t get to sleep, try picturing you in your favourite movie or a mashup of some shows you like (it’s extremely cheesy but it’s something that you can think about for a long time so it’s great before bed)
    Well the worries that I'd write down would be long term and short term. Not just things I could fix easily. It was just that writing them down would stop me mulling it over in my head. This worry is pretty major though and unfortunately there's not much I can really do at this point. If I haven't done well in my january exams I won't be able to pull back up my marks to a 2:1 even if I revise really hard for my june exams. I won't find out my results til march.

ReputationRep:
    Run head-first into a wall. Repeat until you sleep.

(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Run head-first into a wall. Repeat until you sleep.
    Why are you so rude to people on here? Does it make you feel better about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why are you so rude to people on here? Does it make you feel better about yourself?
    Does posting anon and humbling rude people make you feel better about yourself?

Stop projecting your motivation for posting on to other people.

Does posting anon and humbling rude people make you feel better about yourself?

Stop projecting your motivation for posting on to other people.
    No, I just don’t want to start an argument. Yet, you still haven’t answered my simple question. Perhaps you don’t know why you do it either. It’s nice to respect others, you could give it a try more often.

ReputationRep:
    No, I just don’t want to start an argument. Yet, you still haven’t answered my simple question. Perhaps you don’t know why you do it either. It’s nice to respect others, you could give it a try more often.
    Why did you post anon and try to humble me?

Do you think it would make me stop? Was this all part of your altruistic mission to help other members escape my unhelpful posts? Or was it simply because it made you feel big and strong inside? Think for a second: was it selfless or selfish? If it were the latter, I don't think you have any reason for your supercilious attitude.

Why did you post anon and try to humble me?

Do you think it would make me stop? Was this all part of your altruistic mission to help other members escape my unhelpful posts? Or was it simply because it made you feel big and strong inside? Think for a second: was it selfless or selfish? If it were the latter, I don't think you have any reason for your supercilious attitude.
    I already answered it, read above. And it was the former. It doesn’t hurt to be good to people, give it a shot.

ReputationRep:
    I already answered it, read above. And it was the former. It doesn’t hurt to be good to people, give it a shot.
    Ahh, but it cannot be pure altruism as you never exclusively said that I should stop posting unhelpful posts. You made a quip about my motivations. You tried to wound me, as if I am not self-aware that my post telling someone to knock themselves out was unhelpful.

So what was your motivation behind trying to wound me? It was because it made a little person, hiding behind anon, feel slightly powerful. My reason for posting nonsensically is to amuse myself; it is not nearly as pernicious as deriding others in order to give my ego a boost.

Apologise and we can forget about this ugly business.

lol thx for taking things off topic guys

Ahh, but it cannot be pure altruism as you never exclusively said that I should stop posting unhelpful posts. You made a quip about my motivations. You tried to wound me, as if I am not self-aware that my post telling someone to knock themselves out was unhelpful.

So what was your motivation behind trying to wound me? It was because it made a little person, hiding behind anon, feel slightly powerful. My reason for posting nonsensically is to amuse myself; it is not nearly as pernicious as deriding others in order to give my ego a boost.

Apologise and we can forget about this ugly business.
    This is just you deducing what I tried to do, not the truth. You do seem wounded though and that was not my intention. My motivation was to let you know that it is good to be nice to others and that you should try it, not to insult or hurt you. Although you sound hurt, since you feel the need to insult me and be so defensive.

I got nothing to apologise for. And this conversation is as calm as they get, don’t see how it is an ugly business. Perahps it’s just an ego problem you got there mate.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Put the radio on quite quietly. You're more likely to think about stuff and keep yourself awake lying in dead silence, whereas some boring radio music might help send you off to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    This is just you deducing what I tried to do, not the truth. You do seem wounded though and that was not my intention. My motivation was to let you know that it is good to be nice to others and that you should try it, not to insult or hurt you. Although you sound hurt, since you feel the need to insult me and be so defensive.

I got nothing to apologise for. And this conversation is as calm as they get, don’t see how it is an ugly business. Perahps it’s just an ego problem you got there mate.
    No, I am not wounded in the slightest. It just seemed odd to me that you think you might be superior, when clearly your motivation for attempting to humble me was far from altruistic. And now your continued replying is of a similar vein; to maintain your status as morally superior, even though it means OP's considered thread has been taken far off topic. Not quite the community hero you think you are. Selfish, selfish little anon.

But I shan't reply to the little anon any further because I know OP needs helpful advice and your selfish altruism is not really assisting his/her. You're welcome OP.

Goodbye, lil anon.

No, I am not wounded in the slightest. It just seemed odd to me that you think you might be superior, when clearly your motivation for attempting to humble me was far from altruistic. And now your continued replying is of a similar vein; to maintain your status as morally superior, even though it means OP's considered thread has been taken far off topic. Not quite the community hero you think you are. Selfish, selfish little anon.

But I shan't reply to the little anon any further because I know OP needs helpful advice and your selfish altruism is not really assisting his/her. You're welcome OP.

Goodbye, lil anon.
    Whatever you say, this is just your perception of what actually happened. But have a think about it, what we talked about. Try to let go of that inflated ego and be kind to others. You got nothing to lose and everything to gain. You’ll feel better too, less bitter.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.