Turn on thread page Beta

How do I become more effective during study? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm an a level student, studying at least 5 hours a night... reason being= I take biology, chemistry and physics hahahahaha fml, anyway are there any tips to be more effective? I feel I have no rest time just to chill on weekdays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LORD_LFC_5)
    I'm an a level student, studying at least 5 hours a night... reason being= I take biology, chemistry and physics hahahahaha fml, anyway are there any tips to be more effective? I feel I have no rest time just to chill on weekdays.
    Studying without breaks is your first and probably the most damaging mistake. Take breaks so your brain can actually absorb the information and then test yourself on it when you’ve finished with your break. There’s no point working for 5 hours straight because a large portion of that study will be completely ineffective!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you're revising only what you know, make a specification checklist - they're really good for focusing on info.

Blurbing is good too - shows you what you're missing out/don't know so you can go over and revise on that instead of revising everything.

Not sure if it's too early but I'm sure sciences have loads of practise papers/old papers that'd be good to go over. Even if you have already, repetition is good for learning in the instance of application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthflame57)
    Studying without breaks is your first and probably the most damaging mistake. Take breaks so your brain can actually absorb the information and then test yourself on it when you’ve finished with your break. There’s no point working for 5 hours straight because a large portion of that study will be completely ineffective!
    how often do you take breaks ?

what to do if you forget stuff you learned on Monday by Saturday ? say 3 pages of A4 notes on History

Like I remember the general outline but not enough of the full definition,dates and marxist historian viewpoints to describe the concept properly.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, stop!
    There is no reason to be studying that much at all. On our veterinary course they recommend that we study for around 15-20 hours a week outside of lectures etc so for A levels I would argue that is massively overkill!

Work less, but more productively. Sitting staring at a textbook for 5 hours where you have to keep re-reading the same page over and over is just a waste of time. Try and set yourself short goals with a short time period - once you have completed them stop. If you try and take on the entirety of your A levels in one sitting you will just feel like you're getting nowhere - which in result will cause you to get nowhere.

Short, more intense, study periods are better than spending an entire day. Ideally take either a Saturday or Sunday off. You may not in the weeks leading up to the exams but for now it will do no harm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    how often do you take breaks ?

what to do if you forget stuff you learned on Monday by Saturday ? say 3 pages of A4 notes on History

Like I remember the general outline but not enough of the full definition,dates and marxist historian viewpoints to describe the concept properly.
    I would revise for an hour and then take a 15 minute break. Some people go for longer and some people do shorter bursts but this is what works for me.

You just need to keep going over and over the topics until you know them really really well! Don’t worry if you can’t remember it perfectly the first time you go over it, just keep going over it until you can.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthflame57)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voo)
    Make sure you're revising only what you know, make a specification checklist - they're really good for focusing on info.

Blurbing is good too - shows you what you're missing out/don't know so you can go over and revise on that instead of revising everything.

Not sure if it's too early but I'm sure sciences have loads of practise papers/old papers that'd be good to go over. Even if you have already, repetition is good for learning in the instance of application.
    is blurbing just writing out what you know from a topic then seeing what you have missed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMD100)
    Firstly, stop!
    There is no reason to be studying that much at all. On our veterinary course they recommend that we study for around 15-20 hours a week outside of lectures etc so for A levels I would argue that is massively overkill!

Work less, but more productively. Sitting staring at a textbook for 5 hours where you have to keep re-reading the same page over and over is just a waste of time. Try and set yourself short goals with a short time period - once you have completed them stop. If you try and take on the entirety of your A levels in one sitting you will just feel like you're getting nowhere - which in result will cause you to get nowhere.

Short, more intense, study periods are better than spending an entire day. Ideally take either a Saturday or Sunday off. You may not in the weeks leading up to the exams but for now it will do no harm
    Short goals is a good idea, i find it hard to keep my study periods intense, any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LORD_LFC_5)
    is blurbing just writing out what you know from a topic then seeing what you have missed?
    Yup

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.