The Student Room Group

I got a 4 English language gcse. retake?

Should I retake my gcse if I want to get into Russel group. Has anyone got in Russel group uni with a C in English. I want to do engineering at uni btw
Yes honestly I think you should retake it. Currently a 4 is a C but that is uncertain for the future and employers and universities are likely to say that they will only accept 5 as a C in future years (because the grade boundaries are currently subject to change). This is particularly true for the more competitive universities, e.g. Russel Groups. I am in Year 13 and have received offers from 5 Russel Group unis with A*’s in both English Language and English Literature GCSE’s but a B in maths GCSE. I would have taken my maths exams again if I had got a C because many Russel Groups prefer candidates with higher GCSE grades as they use GCSE grades as an indication of work ethic.
(however A-Level grades and work experience / extra curricular things are more important when it comes to applying for uni!) :smile:
Original post by lphillips4
Yes honestly I think you should retake it. Currently a 4 is a C but that is uncertain for the future and employers and universities are likely to say that they will only accept 5 as a C in future years (because the grade boundaries are currently subject to change). This is particularly true for the more competitive universities, e.g. Russel Groups. I am in Year 13 and have received offers from 5 Russel Group unis with A*’s in both English Language and English Literature GCSE’s but a B in maths GCSE. I would have taken my maths exams again if I had got a C because many Russel Groups prefer candidates with higher GCSE grades as they use GCSE grades as an indication of work ethic.
(however A-Level grades and work experience / extra curricular things are more important when it comes to applying for uni!) :smile:

Sorry - I meant Russell Groups (as opposed to Russel Groups). Autocorrect thought it was right for some reason 🙄
Hi :hi:
I've moved this thread to the GCSE forum :smile:
Have a great day!
Reply 4
Original post by lphillips4

What course did you apply for
Original post by tom123h456
What course did you apply for

Psychology and neuroscience :smile:
This is a bit late but I would highly suggest you retake your GCSE English Language, at least. I'm not sure what the current situation is for you. but I am looking at retaking it too (I got a C) even though I am aiming to finish my first year at Uni and apply to a 'better' one, and I have to pay £811 to retake it since I didn't get a D or below. Most top tier Universities look for a B and above in English. You might be lucky and find some that don't (I don't think Durham does?) but the majority - if not all - Russell Group Uni's require a B in both English Language and Maths.
Reply 7
Original post by Hannah_Vi
This is a bit late but I would highly suggest you retake your GCSE English Language, at least. I'm not sure what the current situation is for you. but I am looking at retaking it too (I got a C) even though I am aiming to finish my first year at Uni and apply to a 'better' one, and I have to pay £811 to retake it since I didn't get a D or below. Most top tier Universities look for a B and above in English. You might be lucky and find some that don't (I don't think Durham does?) but the majority - if not all - Russell Group Uni's require a B in both English Language and Maths.

Most only ask for a 4 or c for gcse. But it depends on the course. Only really really good unis like top 5 ask for a b
Most only ask for a 4 or c for gcse. But it depends on the course. Only really really good unis like top 5 ask for a b

It depends.
Are top 20 unis alright?
If Not then I recommend retaking
Reply 9
Original post by ProRoadman
It depends.
Are top 20 unis alright?
If Not then I recommend retaking

Yes top 20 is fine
Yes top 20 is fine

I think retaking is the safe choice, but I don't think a lot of Uni's require Engineering candidates to have a B in English?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Hannah_Vi
I think retaking is the safe choice, but I don't think a lot of Uni's require Engineering candidates to have a B in English?

Correct
Correct

What are your uni choices?
What are your uni choices?

Loughborough
Loughborough

Then you're fine
Then you're fine

What about Durham and Warwick
What about Durham and Warwick

What engineering course?
Should I retake my gcse if I want to get into Russel group. Has anyone got in Russel group uni with a C in English. I want to do engineering at uni btw

thats what i got for my mock i want at least 7 for the real thing or else ill acc suicide
What engineering course?

Yes
Yes

Durham: C/4 IN English Language

Warwick: C/4 in English Language

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending