Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 28 years old with a 2 and 5 year old. I never thought I was good enough to study medicine. Since losing my mum after a 5 year battle with cancer (breast with brain, lung and bone mets). I have realised just how much I need to do this. I was by her side through chemo, radiotherapy, several brain tumor ops at St George's, visits to intensive care, many bouts of pneumonia, septicaemia and the lost is endless....

I have been unfortunate enough to have spent quite a lot of time with medical professionals through my mother and other family members over the years. I have learned a hell of a lot and its fuelled my desire even more.

I have read that the BM6 focuses more on life experience/personal statement rather than academic ability (I also meet criteria). I have a GNVQ in the sciences, GCSEs graded B-C, NVQ in Health and Social care. Among these I have a Diploma in Fashion and Textiles (don't ask) and a CIH in Housing practice. I have also worked in care.

I currently work as a Housing Officer. There are a minute number of similarities for e.g. Working with the public in a close manner, empathy and holding an understanding of complicated matters including Law. But I appreciate these can't be compared to medicine..... really!

My questions are:

What are my chances? Am I being unrealistic?

If I were to be accepted, do I have a reasonable choice over my placements because I have young children? For example I are they blocked out weeks of placements or 1-2 days a week? Do they use Basingstoke? With two children I'd like to be as local to home as possible if it is blocked out weeks of placements. But of course I can be reasonably flexible.

What could I do to improve my chances between now and next year? A levels are probably out of the question as I can't earn while I study them and I have a mortgage to pay (I would be entitled to bursaries and loans to study at Uni).

Or am I completely dreaming that I have any chance?!

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the qualifications needed for BM6 at Southampton? They ask for 5 GCSE's at grade C including English Language, maths and either biology and chemistry or additional science and science. They also require 3 A levels at BBB including Biology and Chemistry. You would also have to sit the UKCAT. There are also widening access criteria that you would need to meet.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medici...y_requirements

Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact Southampton medical school and ask for some advice. An application for medical school also requires work experience. Have you thought about getting a job in a healthcare setting?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for responding. My qualifications are my main worry to be honest. I am hoping to write a strong personal statement and that my life experience will help carry me through (optimistic I know).

I have worked in care previously and I am actually considering a job into health care in the meantime if it will increase my chances.

ReputationRep:
    Or, I am just a complete dreamer!!

ReputationRep:
    Your life experience and motivation are important but if you don't meet the entry requirements unfortunately it is unlikely that Southampton will consider you application. You could make a great Doctor and there may be ways that you could study medicine. Do contact Southampton before putting in an application that is likely to be rejected. They may be able to give you some good advice. Also have a look at this. There are routes into medicine for mature applicants without A levels.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...ss_to_Medicine

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I really appreciate your help!

I am tempted to take A levels via distance learning of some sort but will need to see if these will be accepted. I have emailed Southampton so will await a response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniala)
    Thank you! I really appreciate your help!

I am tempted to take A levels via distance learning of some sort but will need to see if these will be accepted. I have emailed Southampton so will await a response!
    Is your dream to study medicine or to study medicine at Soton? Because I assume you are going to apply to other medical schools too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Is your dream to study medicine or to study medicine at Soton? Because I assume you are going to apply to other medical schools too?
    I do plan on looking at other universities but on the other hand I need to minimise disruption for the kids. My eldest is at school so even though moving is an option, it's a last resort one.

ReputationRep:
    I do plan on looking at other universities but on the other hand I need to minimise disruption for the kids. My eldest is at school so even though moving is an option, it's a last resort one.
    Did you apply to Southampton in the end?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamedxAli)
    Did you apply to Southampton in the end?
    Hi,

I will be applying for 2019 entry. In the meantime, I have had my head in a chemistry book and have enrolled on a Access to HE course (Medicine and Health).

I have emailed the University and they do accept the access courses providing the course content is similar to those at CANDI and other reputable colleges. I am doing it via distance learning, so I may need to do some further study after to boost my chances. The course syllabus is pretty similar to CANDI, Lambeth, Sussex downs etc. Not sure how they feel about distance learning but they have said that they do not exclude it!

Are you looking at applying?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I will be applying for 2019 entry. In the meantime, I have had my head in a chemistry book and have enrolled on a Access to HE course (Medicine and Health).

I have emailed the University and they do accept the access courses providing the course content is similar to those at CANDI and other reputable colleges. I am doing it via distance learning, so I may need to do some further study after to boost my chances. The course syllabus is pretty similar to CANDI, Lambeth, Sussex downs etc. Not sure how they feel about distance learning but they have said that they do not exclude it!

Are you looking at applying?
    Ah glad to hear you're going to apply. I've already applied for bm6 this year and waiting to hear back after interview.

Best of luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Really intrigued to see how you get on! Have you had to submit your evidence yet? I am concerned as even though I fit 3 of the criteria (First generation, free school meals and I received the EMA bursary at college). I am worried about getting evidence of this as I have been out of school/college for 12 years!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, just read your post! What's the update? I love your motivation to study medicine I think it's incredibly admirable and I'm sure it can be possible someway or another. What did Southampton say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maisie_134)
    Hi there, just read your post! What's the update? I love your motivation to study medicine I think it's incredibly admirable and I'm sure it can be possible someway or another. What did Southampton say?
    Hi Maisie, I am currently studying Access to Medicine and Health via distance learning. Southampton said they accept the access courses and have accepted courses from, The College of West Anglia,The Manchester College, Sussex Downs Adult College, Lambeth College,Stafford College. The course content is similar, though I am not sure how they would feel about the distance learning element (Despite accepting DL in general). Even if I get knocked back after completing the access course, I will do what ever I need to do to improve my chances.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Maisie, I am currently studying Access to Medicine and Health via distance learning. Southampton said they accept the access courses and have accepted courses from, The College of West Anglia,The Manchester College, Sussex Downs Adult College, Lambeth College,Stafford College. The course content is similar, though I am not sure how they would feel about the distance learning element (Despite accepting DL in general). Even if I get knocked back after completing the access course, I will do what ever I need to do to improve my chances.
    I'm so glad to hear you were accepted into a course! I'm sure you will , your motivation is really inspiring and I really hope that everything goes well for you! Keep us updated

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.