Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I did 1.5 years of a zoology degree at uni of Manchester before deciding I didn’t think I wanted to do my career in that so I’m on interruption to figure it out. I want to become a veterinary nurse but I still want a biology degree behind me as a backup and an achievement so considering working part time (I want to start earning and getting experience in a vets) and transferring onto ou degree. Or maybe carry on with the degree at Manchester as well as working as it’s more well regarded? I just don’t know if I’d have time to work part time and do it full time at Manchester but if I did it part time it would take me another 3 years!! I didn’t do badly at Manchester I managed to scrape a 2:1 so I think if i did it full time whilst trying to work too I wouldn’t end up with the best classification...

To open university students/graduates doing natural sciences:

Is it easy?
    Is it interesting?
    Did you work part/full time whilst studying part/full time- was that really difficult?
    Once graduated what have you done with your degree now? Or if you’re still studying what’s your plan?

Just need general advice please

ReputationRep:
    I am not a natural science student, but I am studying a BA English Lit (Hons) with the OU. The OU is highly respected, I have contacted numerous universities regarding post-grad stuff and they have all said yes to the degree providing it is a 2:1 (numerous RGs including Manchester and Durham).

You could probably transfer a lot of credits over, but you would need to call them up. I am doing something similar, I was doing full science A-levels and I fell ill. I want to teach primary so I am doing my degree and working in one when I can. I personally think this method of doing things is brilliant, it has given me a huge insight into the career I want to pursue and I get a solid degree behind me. The OU was on the league tables this year, it is right in the middle.

I would like to note that the tuition has been brilliant, I have spoken to my tutor more than my friends have spoken to theirs in the University of Liverpool. I can call/email him whenever I want throughout the working hours of the day and he always has lectures and tutorials on during the examination/assessment period. The tuition is great, I really can't fault it.

I think the OU natural science degree might have some accreditation. I am pretty sure Physics does, it is worth checking. If you have any other questions that are not degree specific, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateP0776)
    Hi I did 1.5 years of a zoology degree at uni of Manchester before deciding I didn’t think I wanted to do my career in that so I’m on interruption to figure it out. I want to become a veterinary nurse but I still want a biology degree behind me as a backup and an achievement so considering working part time (I want to start earning and getting experience in a vets) and transferring onto ou degree. Or maybe carry on with the degree at Manchester as well as working as it’s more well regarded? I just don’t know if I’d have time to work part time and do it full time at Manchester but if I did it part time it would take me another 3 years!! I didn’t do badly at Manchester I managed to scrape a 2:1 so I think if i did it full time whilst trying to work too I wouldn’t end up with the best classification...

To open university students/graduates doing natural sciences:

Is it easy?
    Is it interesting?
    Did you work part/full time whilst studying part/full time- was that really difficult?
    Once graduated what have you done with your degree now? Or if you’re still studying what’s your plan?

Just need general advice please
    No it isn't easy. It is entirely based on you motivating yourself to do the work when required.

It is interesting if the modules you choose interest you. But as with any other course I'm sure you'll find aspects which aren't interesting.

I have done both and either way it is tough. You have to be motivated and strict with yourself to keep the studying going despite other things in your life.

I work in biology now and my OU study has helped me get my job and keep my job. The degrees are well respected. But think carefully as there isn't additional funding to do vet nursing so you will need to fund that yourself. There are programmes which allow you to work whilst getting the degree so maybe that would be a better option for you if you know that is your aim.

I didn't transfer credits, but I know they are strict about the first year of nat Sci degrees so you may end up having to do the Open degree like I am and choosing all biology/chemistry modules. But that isn't the end of the world and you won't know until you ask them.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.