Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I've recently received all of my five offers on UCAS, and the two I am going to select are Queen Mary and Edinburgh. However, I am not sure which one I should firm and which I should put as insurance. Queen Mary has given a higher offer (37 IB), but it's advantages are that it is English Law rather than Scots Law. Edinburgh has provided a lower offer. However, I'm pretty much certain that I am going to have to take a conversion course (GDL) on top of the degree. Furthermore, I've heard Edinburgh has better student life and accommodation. Can someone give any advice about what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chingo76)
    Hello,

I've recently received all of my five offers on UCAS, and the two I am going to select are Queen Mary and Edinburgh. However, I am not sure which one I should firm and which I should put as insurance. Queen Mary has given a higher offer (37 IB), but it's advantages are that it is English Law rather than Scots Law. Edinburgh has provided a lower offer. However, I'm pretty much certain that I am going to have to take a conversion course (GDL) on top of the degree. Furthermore, I've heard Edinburgh has better student life and accommodation. Can someone give any advice about what I should do?
    Student life etc is irrelevant. The same is true of the 1 IB point difference in the offers. The main issue here is where you want to qualify.

Do you want to practice law in E&W or in Scotland?

(the answer should be E&W due to the wider range of law for which there is demand for practitioners)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Student life etc is irrelevant. The same is true of the 1 IB point difference in the offers. The main issue here is where you want to qualify.

Do you want to practice law in E&W or in Scotland?

(the answer should be E&W due to the wider range of law for which there is demand for practitioners)
    Well, actually the point difference is 3 points as I am an Overseas student. So, it's significant. In terms of Scots Law vs EW Law, I am willing to take the GDL conversion, however, it is not desirable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chingo76)
    Well, actually the point difference is 3 points as I am an Overseas student. So, it's significant. In terms of Scots Law vs EW Law, I am willing to take the GDL conversion, however, it is not desirable.
    If you can't get a 37 in the IB, you shouldn't be studying law at uni. Put some pressure on yourself. The alternative is that you waste an extra year of studies completing a four-year law course in Edinburgh, and then yet another year (+ tuition fees) of sitting the GDL.

The simplest option would be to firm QMUL and insure Edinburgh. If you don't get the 37, go to Edinburgh, but it will be the less desirable option overall.

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to pursue a career as a solicitor, the GDL won’t exist as part of the qualification route by the time you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    If you are going to pursue a career as a solicitor, the GDL won’t exist as part of the qualification route by the time you graduate.
    The GDL probably won't be available for OP as the super exam is supposed to come in in 2020.

But, to be pedantic, according to the plans published on the SRA website, the GDL and LPC will be kicking around until 2024 for domestic students. It presumably doesn't mention EU students because of Brexit. My understanding is that this has recently been delayed for review by the LSB and it's a bit uncertain as to whether they'll even be able to have the go ahead for 2020 - it's also unclear if they'll need to have additional courses preparing for the super exam running or if they will open up availability of the GDL/LPC route to overseas as well as part of the transition.

My only relevant thought re this thread is that if you are an EU student, there should/may be no university tuition fees. In which case, this is a slam dunk decision in favour of Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I want to ask in Uk law firms prefer llb students overall score like 1:1 2:1 or firms also see where he has done his llb from which university what reputation university has. So actually i am saying that for law firms llb overall score is important or reputation of university in llb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch hussain)
    Hi I want to ask in Uk law firms prefer llb students overall score like 1:1 2:1 or firms also see where he has done his llb from which university what reputation university has. So actually i am saying that for law firms llb overall score is important or reputation of university in llb.
    The 2.1 or First will win out every time.

Get a 2.2 from any university and you are on the backfoot.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatlined)
    The GDL probably won't be available for OP as the super exam is supposed to come in in 2020.

But, to be pedantic, according to the plans published on the SRA website, the GDL and LPC will be kicking around until 2024 for domestic students. It presumably doesn't mention EU students because of Brexit. My understanding is that this has recently been delayed for review by the LSB and it's a bit uncertain as to whether they'll even be able to have the go ahead for 2020 - it's also unclear if they'll need to have additional courses preparing for the super exam running or if they will open up availability of the GDL/LPC route to overseas as well as part of the transition.

My only relevant thought re this thread is that if you are an EU student, there should/may be no university tuition fees. In which case, this is a slam dunk decision in favour of Edinburgh.
    It will only be available if they do delay the process. But that is quite possible - they are already 18 months behind schedule so it is quite feasible there will be further delays.

The GDL will still exist though as it will have to for barristers. During the transition period it will also exist for a number of years for those who have started the course pre Autumn 2020, especially those who are studying part time.

But if it does go to plan (the LSB have only delayed their decision by a matter of weeks as it stands), anyone who has not started the GDL by August 2020 and who does not have a E&W QLD will have to take the new route.

But even with delays, the OP wouldn’t graduate until 2022 so is still unlikely to be able to qualify under the current system. The SQE would need to be scrapped completely, which I can’t see happening at this late stage - the LSB will ask them to reform proposals if anything.

ReputationRep:
    So if have 2:1 in llb from Bpp university and 2:2 from university of London international program so my 2:1 from bpp would be preferred irrespective of ranking of the university.

ReputationRep:
    So if have 2:1 in llb from Bpp university and 2:2 from university of London international program so my 2:1 from bpp would be preferred irrespective of ranking of the university.
    It doesn’t quite work like that.

Both degrees will be looked at, and unless you studied them at the same time there could still be concerns with your 2.2. It really depends on the rest of your academics though - for instance college/school grades and individual modules within both degrees.

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying grades will be more otherwise both degrees are same value wise. What you prefer uol international program or bpp distance learning llb please advice.

ReputationRep:
    So you are saying grades will be more otherwise both degrees are same value wise. What you prefer uol international program or bpp distance learning llb please advice.
    There really isn’t much of a difference. I wouldn’t have any preference as a recruiter anyway.

Your law degree modules MIGHT be looked at more closely, purely given their direct relevance. For instance some firms will look at contract and tort grades quite closely. But the 2.1 will not necessarily negate the 2.2.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.