Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I'm deciding what university to pick from my offers, I became curious does it matter where you study? I mean do people get more noticeable getting a job if they finish f.e an university at London? Or it doesn't matter? Or maybe they just care about the name of the university? Ratings? Etc? Because I'm choosing between Westminster and Bucks, one is like in center of London and another one is near London.

As I come from a smaller place, theres like only few most important universities so it's easy to understand, but here I'm not sure.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Gordis)
    As I'm deciding what university to pick from my offers, I became curious does it matter where you study? I mean do people get more noticeable getting a job if they finish f.e an university at London? Or it doesn't matter? Or maybe they just care about the name of the university? Ratings? Etc? Because I'm choosing between Westminster and Bucks, one is like in center of London and another one is near London.

As I come from a smaller place, theres like only few most important universities so it's easy to understand, but here I'm not sure.
    what degree are you studying and what career do you want to go into? In most cases rankings won't make a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    what degree are you studying and what career do you want to go into? In most cases rankings won't make a difference
    BSc Hons Games Development. As for now, my thoughts are about "Game programmer" career. Who knows what might hook me up more in the course.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    BSc Hons Games Development. As for now, my thoughts are about "Game programmer" career. Who knows what might hook me up more in the course.
    Rankings wouldn't make much of a difference for that, just pick whichever university you feel suits you better.

ReputationRep:
    no. going to a university in London doesn't grant you a pass to immediately receive job offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    no. going to a university in London doesn't grant you a pass to immediately receive job offers.
    I'm not asking if you "immediately" get an offer, I'm curious if employers gonna be more hooked up if someone finishes an university in London than f.e near London.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not asking if you "immediately" get an offer, I'm curious if employers gonna be more hooked up if someone finishes an university in London than f.e near London.
    i answered your question regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    i answered your question regardless.
    Fair enough :rolleyes:
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi Gordis

Thanks for your message over on the Bucks forum. Hopefully I have covered your questions, but let me know if there's anything else you want to know!

There are lots of things to take into consideration when choosing a university - location, cost of living, industry connections, student support, facilities, as well as the course content! You need to weigh up all aspects and make a decision based on what feels right for you and what you are looking for from a university - after all you're going to be spending the next three years studying there!

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision!

Laura

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.