Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The spec for Edexcel Chemistry says, "understand reasons for the shapes of, and bond angles in, simple molecules and ions with up to six outer pairs of electrons (any combination of bonding pairs and lone pairs) Examples should include BeCl2, BCl3, CH4, NH3, NH4 +, H2O, CO2, PCl5(g) and SF6(g) and related molecules and ions; as well as simple organic molecules in this specification."
    This is my predicament.
    In the CGP textbook for A Level Edexcel Chemistry (2015), they cover a wide range of shapes of molecules. An example being ClF3 which has a bond angle of 87.5 degrees.
    However, in the textbook endorsed by Edexcel for A Level Edexcel Chemistry (2015), which was provided to me by the school, they do not mention a shape like this.
    My question is do I have to learn the shape of this molecule as well or am I not going to be tested on it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by YouMadBro!)
    The spec for Edexcel Chemistry says, "understand reasons for the shapes of, and bond angles in, simple molecules and ions with up to six outer pairs of electrons (any combination of bonding pairs and lone pairs) Examples should include BeCl2, BCl3, CH4, NH3, NH4 +, H2O, CO2, PCl5(g) and SF6(g) and related molecules and ions; as well as simple organic molecules in this specification."
    This is my predicament.
    In the CGP textbook for A Level Edexcel Chemistry (2015), they cover a wide range of shapes of molecules. An example being ClF3 which has a bond angle of 87.5 degrees.
    However, in the textbook endorsed by Edexcel for A Level Edexcel Chemistry (2015), which was provided to me by the school, they do not mention a shape like this.
    My question is do I have to learn the shape of this molecule as well or am I not going to be tested on it?
    look up your specification on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    look up your specification on the internet.
    I showed you the specification, I think it's quite ambiguous in what they want the students to know.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.