Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Help!

I started my nursing degree back in 2014, towards the end of my second year I withdrew due to a number of reasons. Now I've made steps to return and am joining the February 2017 intake as they start their second year.

When I started the degree I was eligible for help from the NHS bursary fund, however as I am classed as resitting the modules I didn't finish I have to pay 750 per 10 credits I need to complete (a grand total of £5250). Here are my issues:

- Bursary won't fund resits
    - SFE won't fund resits for a NHSBSA eligible student
    - Future Finance have said I don't meet their criteria
    - I don't have anyone who can help

My last hope is approaching my bank for a loan but I won't hold my breath. Are there any reputable student loan companies I can approach? I can't give up now, I just can't.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure SFE won’t fund you in terms of a maintenance loan? Even if not have you considered using a CPR (compelling personal reasons) for resitting? If you have a good enough reason and can supply evidence SFE may still help.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by NurseRose)
    Help!

I started my nursing degree back in 2014, towards the end of my second year I withdrew due to a number of reasons. Now I've made steps to return and am joining the February 2017 intake as they start their second year.

When I started the degree I was eligible for help from the NHS bursary fund, however as I am classed as resitting the modules I didn't finish I have to pay 750 per 10 credits I need to complete (a grand total of £5250). Here are my issues:

- Bursary won't fund resits
    - SFE won't fund resits for a NHSBSA eligible student
    - Future Finance have said I don't meet their criteria
    - I don't have anyone who can help

My last hope is approaching my bank for a loan but I won't hold my breath. Are there any reputable student loan companies I can approach? I can't give up now, I just can't.
    Hi NurseRose,

Just to clarify, are you resuming on the same course after suspending your studies and still entitled to receive an NHS bursary in 2018?

Or starting new from 2018 having withdrawn altogether from the previous course?

New NHS students who start their course on or after 1 September 2017 are no longer be eligible for a bursary from the NHS and instead receive regular Student Finance England SFE support in the same manner as students studying non-NHS courses

From 2017/18 it was agreed that any new students studying Nursing, Midwifery or an Allied Health Professional AHP course would have any previous study or Equivalent Level Qualification ELQ they hold disregarded.

This allows these students to access full SFE funding package in 2017/18 for a Nursing, Midwifery or AHP course.

Regards Rona

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.