The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Choosing uni of Glasgow

Hello peeps!

So i find choosing the right university to spend your next 4-5 years in is quite difficult for me.
I know that everywhere has its cons and pros, but i would like to know about few particular things about the university of Glasgow. These are:
The safety and living standards for international students there?
The total expenses/costs (including accommodation, food, school supplies, etc.)?

Besides the academic qualities of the university, the safety and living standards are most crucial to me. So please if anyone has been/or is studying there, give me your honest opinion about life there.
Hi there,

My name is Lilith and I attended the University of Glasgow as an undergraduate but now I work in student accommodation in the West End in a building with lots of international students so hopefully I'll be well equipped to give you a response to your worries.

To the best of my knowledge there are no concerns to be had about the safety of International students specifically at Glasgow Uni and living standards seem to be very high. Of course, you should always be safety conscious in a busy city but the West End of Glasgow is generally very safe if you are street wise. You are mostly able to stick to well lit streets that are busy, the fact the area is both student and family orientated means you will always see a wide range of people around and, unless you specifically take dark shortcuts which I would never suggest, you will always be on a busy thoroughfare. Taxis are also fairly low cost and transport links like buses, subway and train mean that if you choose you won't need to walk for long amounts of time.

I believe that in terms of cost, your lifestyle in Glasgow can be very much what you make it. I know students who have got by on very little income by choosing cheaper rent, food choices, etc. but equally you can live very lavishly if you choose. The student accommodation I work at - Bridge House - is around £145 per week all-inclusive, but if you were to go with a shared room in a privately rented flat this cost could be cheaper, but then bills would not be included. There are numerous factors to consider here.

What I do know from personal experience is that if you are looking to live cheaply in Glasgow it is very possible to do so. Rent is much lower in comparison to cities like Edinburgh. We have plenty of large supermarkets where it's easy to buy affordable quality food, nightlife options can range from being free to very low cost and yet still give you a great student experience.

I had a wonderful time at Glasgow University and never felt unsafe around the campus. I came from a very small island in the North of Scotland and was very worried about moving to the city but I felt immediately at home and made some wonderful friends. I did have, and still have, a really high quality of life and many of my peers feel the same.

I am sure you would have a wonderful time here in Glasgow at the University - it is truly a brilliant city to study in.

I hope this helps,

Lilith
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by pinkbow
Hello peeps!

So i find choosing the right university to spend your next 4-5 years in is quite difficult for me.
I know that everywhere has its cons and pros, but i would like to know about few particular things about the university of Glasgow. These are:
The safety and living standards for international students there?
The total expenses/costs (including accommodation, food, school supplies, etc.)?

Besides the academic qualities of the university, the safety and living standards are most crucial to me. So please if anyone has been/or is studying there, give me your honest opinion about life there.

idk why you would think Glasgow wasn't safe for international students -- I'm not a student at Glasgow Uni but I currently study as a Junior at RCS and am planning on going to the uni next year.
If you're thinking of the xenophobia present in some Brexiteers campaigns in the referendum on your mind, every county in Scotland voted to remain so that train of thought wasn't very common over here.
Glasgow's a diverse and friendly place -- i hope i see you there next year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending