Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I applied to the RAF for the Human Resources role last Thursday 8th Feb late at night (about 10.30pm). Imagine my surprise when the next morning (9th feb) at 9.30am I had an email from RAF recruitment letting me know I’d passed basic checks and it had been passed to my local AFCO who would be in contact shortly for me to sit the AST. Brilliant. I was fully expecting to have to wait a while for them to get back to me.. so on a side note.. is this role understaffed? I did read somewhere they were desperate to fill the admin roles as it’s not a popular job? Anyway I haven’t heard back from AFCO yet which I’m not expecting due to it being the weekend.

To cut the longer story short. When I applied, under the health section it has the usual it’s about BMI and eyesight then says something about all applicants will have to undergo a medical risk assessment which I totally understand.

I have, however, got type 1 insulin controlled diabetes. Had it 22 years of my life (I’m 23) and never had a hospital admission for low blood sugar. Now when I google this it comes up with a list of medical conditions from 2013 that preclude entry of which this is one of them. However on the actual RAF recruitment website there is no mention of this list anywhere (believe me I have checked every page).

I have since contacted the recruitment site via the live chat link asking for clarification on my condition and entry to the RAF under the trade of Human Resources, I had a response straight away saying they are unable to comment on medical conditions and all candidates are required to have the medical. I also rang the AFCO I am set to attend and she made the same comment on the phone.

To say I’m a little confused is an understatement. As on one hand I found that list, however there is no mention of it on the site and then to be told that by the recruiters is very conflicting. Along with everything that comes up on google. Seems silly and a waste of time and money for them to allow people with these medical conditions to even get so far if this is the case?

My question is shall I attend the AFCO AST test knowing beforehand that there is a 99.9% chance that my diabetes will mean my application is terminated - I don’t want to waste people’s time.
    Or shall I cut my losses now and end my application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BecciA123)
    Hi there,

I applied to the RAF for the Human Resources role last Thursday 8th Feb late at night (about 10.30pm). Imagine my surprise when the next morning (9th feb) at 9.30am I had an email from RAF recruitment letting me know I’d passed basic checks and it had been passed to my local AFCO who would be in contact shortly for me to sit the AST. Brilliant. I was fully expecting to have to wait a while for them to get back to me.. so on a side note.. is this role understaffed? I did read somewhere they were desperate to fill the admin roles as it’s not a popular job? Anyway I haven’t heard back from AFCO yet which I’m not expecting due to it being the weekend.

To cut the longer story short. When I applied, under the health section it has the usual it’s about BMI and eyesight then says something about all applicants will have to undergo a medical risk assessment which I totally understand.

I have, however, got type 1 insulin controlled diabetes. Had it 22 years of my life (I’m 23) and never had a hospital admission for low blood sugar. Now when I google this it comes up with a list of medical conditions from 2013 that preclude entry of which this is one of them. However on the actual RAF recruitment website there is no mention of this list anywhere (believe me I have checked every page).

I have since contacted the recruitment site via the live chat link asking for clarification on my condition and entry to the RAF under the trade of Human Resources, I had a response straight away saying they are unable to comment on medical conditions and all candidates are required to have the medical. I also rang the AFCO I am set to attend and she made the same comment on the phone.

To say I’m a little confused is an understatement. As on one hand I found that list, however there is no mention of it on the site and then to be told that by the recruiters is very conflicting. Along with everything that comes up on google. Seems silly and a waste of time and money for them to allow people with these medical conditions to even get so far if this is the case?

My question is shall I attend the AFCO AST test knowing beforehand that there is a 99.9% chance that my diabetes will mean my application is terminated - I don’t want to waste people’s time.
    Or shall I cut my losses now and end my application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Being totally honest, it's a racing certainty that you won't progress beyond the medical stage. You won't be able to serve with diabetes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Being totally honest, it's a racing certainty that you won't progress beyond the medical stage. You won't be able to serve with diabetes.
    Hi Drewski, thank you for your reply! I know this will more than likely be the case. However I have just asked via the recruitment site again whether my diabetes is an automatic bar on entry and have once again been advised that

‘We are unable to discuss or advise on any medical issues.
    You are required to undergo a medical exam as part of the application process which will determine your eligibility’

I can understand if I’m asking about asthma as I know the rules have changed in regards to being treatment free etc for so many years. But a condition like mine you would think they would automatically be able to say no if it would be an automatic bar on entry, to save everyone’s time.

I then asked if all medical criteria was the same for every role and got the reply.

‘All roles have their own medical criteria so it would be role depending. A pilot for instance would have very strict medical requirements due to the nature of the role’

Which obviously makes a lot of sense! But makes things very confusing.

I will go a long for my AST (when the date comes through) but will try and chat to one of the advisors beforehand to see if there is any point me doing it.

ReputationRep:
    It’s just confused me that they have removed any trace of the ‘medical conditions that preclude entry’ on the recruitment site, no links no pages and when you search for it nothing comes up.. I know rules probably haven’t changed but seems odd that they would do that and then allow said people to apply getting there hopes up etc..

To be fair I just want a definitive answer from them if I am PMU at least I know where i stand! As I know short of a miracle and/or a successful pancreas transplant I wouldn’t stand a chance haha!

ReputationRep:
    They're giving you a canned answer because a- its a chatbot, b- it's not got medical specifics built in, c- discussing medical conditions on there causes all sorts of other issues, and d-even if it is a real person on the other end, they're not qualified to talk about medical standards.

Added to that is the fact that the medical screening and testing is done by a private company on behalf of the forces and they'll get paid for the amount of people they process, so the RAF can't be seen to be denying that company money by not letting people get to that stage.

Your diabetes means you can't serve. Even though it's controlled, you require medication and/or a prescribed diet to do this. That's something that cannot be guaranteed in the forces environment. I'm in the same position, I came out because I've got ulcerative colitis; it's managed with medication, but not compatible with service life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    They're giving you a canned answer because a- its a chatbot, b- it's not got medical specifics built in, c- discussing medical conditions on there causes all sorts of other issues, and d-even if it is a real person on the other end, they're not qualified to talk about medical standards.

Added to that is the fact that the medical screening and testing is done by a private company on behalf of the forces and they'll get paid for the amount of people they process, so the RAF can't be seen to be denying that company money by not letting people get to that stage.

Your diabetes means you can't serve. Even though it's controlled, you require medication and/or a prescribed diet to do this. That's something that cannot be guaranteed in the forces environment. I'm in the same position, I came out because I've got ulcerative colitis; it's managed with medication, but not compatible with service life.
    Sorry to hear that Drewski. Sucks when you have your heart set on something and it’s all denied because of something you can’t help!

I think it’ll be beneficial to me to go along and get my definitive answer and maybe chat with the recruiters to see if there’s anything I can do on the civvy side of things (have already applied for a few jobs in the civil service).. and please don’t get me wrong I am not delusional thinking I definitely stand a chance here as I know I don’t I just wanted to ask the question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BecciA123)
    Sorry to hear that Drewski. Sucks when you have your heart set on something and it’s all denied because of something you can’t help!

I think it’ll be beneficial to me to go along and get my definitive answer and maybe chat with the recruiters to see if there’s anything I can do on the civvy side of things (have already applied for a few jobs in the civil service).. and please don’t get me wrong I am not delusional thinking I definitely stand a chance here as I know I don’t I just wanted to ask the question!
    At least I was able to do it for a little while before I got ill...

And tbh, you'll probably get the same answer from them in person.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.