Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I’ve been out of education for 12 years and have decided to do my A Levels online. I’ve chosen maths, psychology and English lit.

My only concern is that maths may be too ambitious for me. I expect it to be hard work but how realistic is it to get a good grade in a subject I haven’t studied for years? I got a C at GCSE level but could have gotten an A had I really applied myself. I’ve read that the leap between GCSE and A Level is huge and that those who score even an A* in their GCSEs struggle at A Level.

It’s going to cost me over £1000 to do these so I want to ensure that it isn’t a waste of money.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca787)
    Hi everyone,

I’ve been out of education for 12 years and have decided to do my A Levels online. I’ve chosen maths, psychology and English lit.

My only concern is that maths may be too ambitious for me. I expect it to be hard work but how realistic is it to get a good grade in a subject I haven’t studied for years? I got a C at GCSE level but could have gotten an A had I really applied myself. I’ve read that the leap between GCSE and A Level is huge and that those who score even an A* in their GCSEs struggle at A Level.

It’s going to cost me over £1000 to do these so I want to ensure that it isn’t a waste of money.

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks
    Before paying for an A level maths course I think you should prove to yourself you really can achieve better than a C at gcse.

ReputationRep:
    If you’re willing to apply yourself and you’re passionate then do it! It’s better to do the course and realise whether or not you enjoy maths enough to carry on with it, than to never do the course and potentially regret it later in life.
    You have to realise that it will be incredibly hard work and you will have to work extra hours to make up for potential gaps in knowledge (some people take starter courses so when they cover the material is all stuff they already know).
    Personally I’d take the course because it’s a great A-level and there are loads of resources online to help you if you put in the work

ReputationRep:
    wait,

what do you want to get out of doing these alevels because they seem too broad? no offence but you're older as well so one would assume you would have a solid plan laid out?

ReputationRep:
    I find it pretty cool that you consider to study once more after 12 years Learning is a life-long thing after all.

As someone who is doing the course, I don't think maths is considered to be more ambitious than psychology and English lit. But it will be the subject that you would need to practise the most as compared to the other two. Revising GCSE maths might help refresh your memory or at least, gives you the basics for A-level maths -- since A-level maths is the continuation for the GCSEs and it does not repeat the whole subject from the top either.

"...but how realistic is it to get a good grade in a subject I haven’t studied for years?"

If you can take the time to revise all that you need from GCSEs and can manage the A-level past year papers, plus syllabi, I think that the lowest grade you can get is a C. However, if you are learning mathematics independently, it can be very tough.

I had a B in maths and additional maths in O-levels (GCSE eqv.), but still managed a "b" in my AS-level.

By the way, maybe you should look into your paper combinations? It should help making it clear whether you want to take it or not, 1000 Brtish Pounds is a lot of money ~

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks

What exam board?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks
    If there's one thing that really grinds my gears it's having a defeatist attitude. Look, I got a grade D in GCSE Maths and I did A-Level Maths in 1 year and I came out of it with an A grade. Apply yourself and you have nothing to worry about. The leap is as big or as small as you make it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Before paying for an A level maths course I think you should prove to yourself you really can achieve better than a C at gcse.
    Thank you, I will definitely be going over old papers and checking how. Stand with the most recent exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eleanorroseb)
    If you’re willing to apply yourself and you’re passionate then do it! It’s better to do the course and realise whether or not you enjoy maths enough to carry on with it, than to never do the course and potentially regret it later in life.
    You have to realise that it will be incredibly hard work and you will have to work extra hours to make up for potential gaps in knowledge (some people take starter courses so when they cover the material is all stuff they already know).
    Personally I’d take the course because it’s a great A-level and there are loads of resources online to help you if you put in the work
    Many thanks, if it wasn’t for the financials involved I would absolutely be going for it. I definitely am passionate to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    wait,

what do you want to get out of doing these alevels because they seem too broad? no offence but you're older as well so one would assume you would have a solid plan laid out?
    I would like to retrain to become a teacher eventually. I left school at 16 to work full time and have never been in the position to go back to education. I’m lucky that I know have two years to make some headway in that area of my life whilst I’m working overseas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wifd149)
    I find it pretty cool that you consider to study once more after 12 years Learning is a life-long thing after all.

As someone who is doing the course, I don't think maths is considered to be more ambitious than psychology and English lit. But it will be the subject that you would need to practise the most as compared to the other two. Revising GCSE maths might help refresh your memory or at least, gives you the basics for A-level maths -- since A-level maths is the continuation for the GCSEs and it does not repeat the whole subject from the top either.

"...but how realistic is it to get a good grade in a subject I haven’t studied for years?"

If you can take the time to revise all that you need from GCSEs and can manage the A-level past year papers, plus syllabi, I think that the lowest grade you can get is a C. However, if you are learning mathematics independently, it can be very tough.

I had a B in maths and additional maths in O-levels (GCSE eqv.), but still managed a "b" in my AS-level.

By the way, maybe you should look into your paper combinations? It should help making it clear whether you want to take it or not, 1000 Brtish Pounds is a lot of money ~
    Hi, thanks a lot! If I decide to go ahead I will most certainly be taking your advice and revisiting the whole GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4761)
    What exam board?
    I’m overseas on a work assignment so it has to be either Edexcel or CIE.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to retrain to become a teacher eventually. I left school at 16 to work full time and have never been in the position to go back to education. I’m lucky that I know have two years to make some headway in that area of my life whilst I’m working overseas.
    ah ok.

alevel maths is doable for the vast majority of people; do it. you'll want to brush up on GCSE though before u start alevel!

ReputationRep:
    I’m overseas on a work assignment so it has to be either Edexcel or CIE.
    If you want to PM me your Gmail address i can share all the math ebooks with you, might help a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    If there's one thing that really grinds my gears it's having a defeatist attitude. Look, I got a grade D in GCSE Maths and I did A-Level Maths in 1 year and I came out of it with an A grade. Apply yourself and you have nothing to worry about. The leap is as big or as small as you make it.
    Hi, thanks for your comment. I totally understand where you are coming from but I’m not being defeatist, just trying to be realistic. I work overseas so all of my studies would be done online without the benefit of having a teacher watching over me to personally rectify my mistakes and I have a young family. I have responsibilities beyond just studying and the cost is something that I can’t take lightly. I just want to set myself up for failure. Having said that, your comment is appreciated and has made me question perhaps weather I am setting myself up for failure by doubting myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    ah ok.

alevel maths is doable for the vast majority of people; do it. you'll want to brush up on GCSE though before u start alevel!
    Thanks for replying, I’ll most certainly be revisiting the GSCE first.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for your comment. I totally understand where you are coming from but I’m not being defeatist, just trying to be realistic.
    Its better to be overly ambitious than to be realistic. If I was realistic I wouldn't be where I am now.
    I work overseas so all of my studies would be done online without the benefit of having a teacher watching over me to personally rectify my mistakes and I have a young family.
    You have alot on your shoulders. Children to raise, food to put on the table and academic studies. But if you want to go university, 90% of it is independent study. Some lecturers really do suck at teaching. You might even have one module where you only get 6 lectures. Its best to get a head start now, building up good self-study habits so you go onto succeed at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4761)
    If you want to PM me your Gmail address i can share all the math ebooks with you, might help a little
    Thank you! Sent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    You have alot on your shoulders. Children to raise, food to put on the table and academic studies. But if you want to go university, 90% of it is independent study. Some lecturers really do suck at teaching. You might even have one module where you only get 6 lectures. Its best to get a head start now, building up good self-study habits so you go onto succeed at university.
    Yes, a lot going on but luckily my hours here are minimal and I can afford to spend up to 5 hours of study time per day if I need to. Many thanks for your advice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.