Turn on thread page Beta

Do people generally really go into the same field of work that they've studied? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do people really end up working for the same industry that they've studied in university? Or do people just generally get normal jobs?

I've personally been thinking about this a lot over the last few months. I'm a third year Media Production student, and I'm not going to deny that I never really wanted to go to university in the first place, I wanted to start working and earning myself a living, but at the time it seemed almost impossible to get a job. I have had some good experiences at university and I've learnt quite a lot that I probably will stick at, but overall I don't see myself working in the industry.

Finances have been a struggle for me since my second year, and I've been in and out of jobs, but I'm in a warehouse job at the moment, in which I've been in now for the last 6/7 months, in which recently I just got offered a promotion. But overall, I'm in a basic job, but I enjoy it and I'm at a point now where I've realised the reality is that I'll end up staying here when university finishes.

And I look at a few people in my class. I know a girl (we were together at one point for over a year) and she's got a part time job in a local bingo, which I can remember she used to enjoy. And she talks about wanting to do a Masters Degree, but whether she does or doesn't, I just have a feeling she will end up staying working in a bingo. I used to be close friends with a girl from college, who recently graduated from a photography degree, yet she works in a jewellery shop, and I think the last I heard from her, she was unhappy and just looking for office work.

I feel like perhaps 10% or so of my class will probably work in the media industry. The rest in basic jobs. I feel like that's perhaps the reality of life after experiencing university first hand. It's like people in my class sometimes treat me funny because I'm sometimes neglecting university for work, but I don't think people realise it's the main thing supporting me financially for university, and the way I see it is that at I'm in a job that I can continue when university is finished. Whereas I don't think people in my classes quite realise that as soon as university finishes, they're going to go from being 'Students' to 'Unemployed.'

I don't know, what's your view on the subject? Are you still studying? Or have you graduated and worked in the same industry/out of it?

I'm curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlawson118)
    Do people really end up working for the same industry that they've studied in university? Or do people just generally get normal jobs?

I've personally been thinking about this a lot over the last few months. I'm a third year Media Production student, and I'm not going to deny that I never really wanted to go to university in the first place, I wanted to start working and earning myself a living, but at the time it seemed almost impossible to get a job. I have had some good experiences at university and I've learnt quite a lot that I probably will stick at, but overall I don't see myself working in the industry.

Finances have been a struggle for me since my second year, and I've been in and out of jobs, but I'm in a warehouse job at the moment, in which I've been in now for the last 6/7 months, in which recently I just got offered a promotion. But overall, I'm in a basic job, but I enjoy it and I'm at a point now where I've realised the reality is that I'll end up staying here when university finishes.

And I look at a few people in my class. I know a girl (we were together at one point for over a year) and she's got a part time job in a local bingo, which I can remember she used to enjoy. And she talks about wanting to do a Masters Degree, but whether she does or doesn't, I just have a feeling she will end up staying working in a bingo. I used to be close friends with a girl from college, who recently graduated from a photography degree, yet she works in a jewellery shop, and I think the last I heard from her, she was unhappy and just looking for office work.

I feel like perhaps 10% or so of my class will probably work in the media industry. The rest in basic jobs. I feel like that's perhaps the reality of life after experiencing university first hand. It's like people in my class sometimes treat me funny because I'm sometimes neglecting university for work, but I don't think people realise it's the main thing supporting me financially for university, and the way I see it is that at I'm in a job that I can continue when university is finished. Whereas I don't think people in my classes quite realise that as soon as university finishes, they're going to go from being 'Students' to 'Unemployed.'

I don't know, what's your view on the subject? Are you still studying? Or have you graduated and worked in the same industry/out of it?

I'm curious
    I study Law. I don't really want to do anything but go in to an area of Law, but everyone is different. Some people might feel the area they chose is no longer for them. Which is a little silly after accumulating over forty thousand pounds worth of debt lol. But, thats just my view on it.

ReputationRep:

I'm curious
    It does depend on what degree you did. For example, someone who studied English can use their degree and transferrable skills to apply for a number of graduate schemes and jobs in areas other than English, such as accountancy, teaching, law, HR, etc. More specific degrees, such as Accountancy, Law and Engineering, students study as part of a career route, and are more likely, but not definitely, going to go in a career related to their degree after they graduate.

Career ideas do change and circumstances do - one person I knew studied Theology and Law, but decided to study Speech Therapy afterwards as she was interested in this. Other people graduate and they find themselves working stopgap jobs. People don't aspire to go into "basic jobs" after they graduate, but it is something that they have to do as they build up work experience and contacts to break into their intended sector.

What reasons make you pick the degree that you wanted to? What are your plans after you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the degree.. interestingly a new measure to test how vocational degrees are came out last week:

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/year/2018/201801/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

I'm curious
    Most people, especially those with general degrees or really niche non-professional degrees, won't end up in a field related to their degree. Given many advertised grad jobs aren't particularly picky (something like 70%) about your subject, you can find a myriad of people doing a myriad of things.

On top of that, since there are fewer graduate level positions than there are people applying for them - a large proportion of people leaving university will ultimately end up starting in a role and industry which doesn't value their skills (aka underemployment).

It's reality. Kids at school really should be told about this more and should be encouraged to really think about their career goals (and likelihood of reaching them) if they're choosing a general degree or a really niche subject when thinking about university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, peoples ambitions change as they go through life. Take me for example, I was aspiring to be a hot shot programmer at Google when I was 17. Now I'm 20 half-way through a CS degree and I want to become a doctor. Big change yeah but it just goes to show haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Not necessarily, peoples ambitions change as they go through life. Take me for example, I was aspiring to be a hot shot programmer at Google when I was 17. Now I'm 20 half-way through a CS degree and I want to become a doctor. Big change yeah but it just goes to show haha

I agree.
    And people also start doing jobs related to what they did at college and/or uni and then later down the line go and do other stuff.
    Im a good example of that. I did childcare at college (after doing a-levels) and wanted to be a teaching assistant. I couldnt get in as a teaching assistant so worked at nurseries instead. But after a while i went back to my sunday job full time for a while before getting a job in a warehouse (in the despatch office) which i like.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.