Turn on thread page Beta

Primary PGCE funding. HELP! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a Primary Teaching PGCE course in September 2018, and from what I've calculated my Student Finance grant/loan will give me just enough to pay off the tuition and most of the accommodation costs.

I know the government gives out bursaries for teaching programmes, but apparently they don't give you any funding if you're doing a Primary PGCE (with a 2:2 degree).

Does anybody know if there's any other way to get funding? I'm only making £26/day at my current job so saving is out of the question. I've been searching for a second job, but have had no luck so far.

I'm freaking out here! I don't want to give up on this PGCE course because of money. I know how hard it is to get into a Teaching course and I was lucky enough to get an offer, so I need to find that extra funding!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lara5)
    I'm starting a Primary Teaching PGCE course in September 2018, and from what I've calculated my Student Finance grant/loan will give me just enough to pay off the tuition and most of the accommodation costs.

I know the government gives out bursaries for teaching programmes, but apparently they don't give you any funding if you're doing a Primary PGCE (with a 2:2 degree).

Does anybody know if there's any other way to get funding? I'm only making £26/day at my current job so saving is out of the question. I've been searching for a second job, but have had no luck so far.

I'm freaking out here! I don't want to give up on this PGCE course because of money. I know how hard it is to get into a Teaching course and I was lucky enough to get an offer, so I need to find that extra funding!
    HI Lara5,

Charities and trusts sometimes provide grants, often for students from poorer backgrounds or those who’ve achieved academic excellence. Find out more at your local library in these publications:
    • the Educational Grants Directory
    • the Charities Digest
    • the Grants Register
    • the Directory of Grant Making Trusts

You can also use the Family Action grant search,

http://bit.ly/2sl4bxI

You might be able to get funding from:
    • an individual - sometimes people donate awards to help postgraduates (these are usually offered through your university or college)
    • a Disabled Students Allowance
    • a Professional Development Loan

Funding applications usually have to be in by the spring before you start studying in the autumn.

Regards Rona

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.